Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Best Cover - only need to last 1 baby (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1345763)

Big Mi 01-30-2012 03:41 PM

Best Cover - only need to last 1 baby

Hi Mamas -

Looking for advice on the best cover for baby due in May. I am going to use prefolds and am looking for advice on a cover.

I'm torn between a true size vs a one size (or two size, like Thirsties Duo) cover.

He will be our last, so I don't necessarily need something that is "bullet-proof" and will last for multiple kids. So I feel like getting a one/two size is really a good cost-effective option for me that can take us from birth to PL. Am I right?

Also, would you recommend just waiting until he's born so I can see his physique and make the decision then?

TIA!!

MomBecks 01-30-2012 03:46 PM

Re: Best Cover - only need to last 1 baby

I'd get a few Thirsties Duo size 1s to start with then see what else you'd like to try from there. Few one-size coves will fit well at birth so it's nice to have something to get you going until the OS stuff fits.

Lesley@CottonBabies 01-30-2012 06:20 PM

I really like the Flip covers! They work great on my little one, and they are a one-size product!

carolyndavis 01-30-2012 06:49 PM

I second both these mamas! I am a huge Flip fan and have been using them since my DS was 3 months old. (I think he weighed about 12 lbs. then.) However, I had one Thirsties size 1 cover that fit him even better than the Flips in the beginning. I'd consider getting more size 1 Thirsties for my next one.

It's worth noting, however, that even though Thirsties size 1 is supposed to fit up to 18 lbs and/or 9 months, my 17-lb. 6-month-old has outgrown his already. (He's not huge or strangely proportioned, either. 50th percentile for both height and weight.)

babyelephantmama 01-30-2012 06:54 PM

Bummis Whisper Pant is my favorite cover ever, and boy, have I tried covers. It's super inexpensive, to boot. It's a pull-on nylon cover. No red marks ever, no leaks. Smoosh down to nothing underneath clothing. No fiddling with a second set of snaps or velcro after putting on the diaper underneath. Easy on/off. Oh whisper pant, how I love thee.
I think they are only 5 dollars with free shipping through cottonbabies. I'd recommend trying at least one.

lynn97 01-30-2012 07:19 PM

The Thirsties sized covers are my favorites. My DS is currently about 16 lbs and he doesn't fit in the Duo 1 or 2 very well, although they are very nice covers. The Flips are okay but I've heard the elastic wears put quickly with them.

robinbird74 01-30-2012 07:26 PM

Totally agree with pp about pull on whisper pants!! I've tried (and still do use b/c i like the colors, etc.) thirsties, bummies, swaddlebees, zookies, geny and other wham made and the pull on pants are easy, fast and comfy looking. I liked them when ds (now a huge 10 month old) was newborn as well... They are cheap enough to buy a few in each size so you wouldn't have to go the os route if you didn't want to... I just remembered I also liked tiny tush sized when ds was 0-3 months...

AQW 01-30-2012 08:56 PM

I would say give a few a try. That's the great thing about using covers, you can afford to try a couple (compared to other options). I think your best bet would be to have 2 OS covers on hand and then try some sized variations. You should definitely look for some newborns with the belly button notch for the beginning. I would also consider being on the lookout for a nice wool soaker. They are pretty awesome for nighttime and worth the money if yo get one that can be worn for a large age span. Have you considered doing a trial some where?

My personal favorite OS cover is Blueberry. I have snap ones that look and work like brand new after 2 years, and I happen to love the fit on DS. They have fit great from the beginning and still do. Flips are cool because if you like to tri-fold they have the flaps to tuck the diaper into. My DH does that, so other care takers may appreciate that too. My favorite sized are Bummis. Great fit and really well made.

mommy2clara 01-30-2012 09:16 PM

I like Thirsties a lot too. My favorite cover is the Blueberry Coverall. If you're an aplix mama, theirs is the stickiest EVER. But, my daughter was 18lbs by the time I got it, so I can't speak for how it would fit a newborn.

mamaspice 01-30-2012 09:19 PM

Are you using sized prefolds? Fastening or trifolding?