Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What if he's still nursing? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1345781)

carolineb 01-30-2012 04:11 PM

What if he's still nursing?

Okay, ds is 10 months and still nursing throughout the day and some at night though he'll occasionally sttn but that's once every several nights.

Anyway, in august I will have a chance to go on an overnight camping/MT biking getaway with some girlfriends. I NEVER get this kind of opportunity so the fact that DH said yes is exciting!

But I'm worried if ds is still nursing then or not night weaned, do I just not go? He's been pretty attached to me so part of me hates to leave him but another part of me really needs this chance to do something for me.

He'll be about 17 months. I'm planning on taking the don't offer don't refuse approach when he turns one. He gets a bottle of formula before bed so I don't have to be there for that.

It will be primitive camping so no place to pump but I don't normally pump anyway.

So, thoughts? Tips? Suggestions? I had a similar weekend planned a couple of years ago with the same group but got pregnant so I had to back out.

SenoraE 01-30-2012 05:09 PM

Re: What if he's still nursing?

I would plan to go. August is a long time away... but if you get close to then and he's still nursing, I would plan to pack a manual pump and a big t-shirt to pump under in case you do get engorged, just for your own comfort. Go and enjoy yourself - you deserve it!!!

Connor 01-30-2012 06:55 PM

If you plan to do the don't offer, don't refuse approach after age one don't be surprised if he weans before 18 months. Lots of babies can't express there wants clearly at that age and stay pretty busy. Usually they need a reminder to nurse. But, if weaning is your plan then that's a good approach.

aept 01-30-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenoraE
I would plan to go. August is a long time away... but if you get close to then and he's still nursing, I would plan to pack a manual pump and a big t-shirt to pump under in case you do get engorged, just for your own comfort. Go and enjoy yourself - you deserve it!!!

Ditto! If daddy can do bedtime with the bottle then you should be good. Even if he doesn't STTN I am sure they will survive one night.
I agree about the manual pump or just hand express if you prefer. It would suck to be uncomfy or get a clogged duct or something when it is preventable.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Kelly3139 01-30-2012 07:11 PM

We did don't offer don't refuse for DD starting at 12 months and she was fully weaned by 14 months. Literally went from 5 nursings a day to 2 in the first week. She found out she liked snacks more than milk and she was VERY attached to me. I'm a SAHM so we are literally together all the time and never had a bottle and we did it. I would plan the trip for sure. I went away for 2 nights at 13 months and she was nursing 2 times daily and did not pump and I never felt engorged and the milk was still there when I got back. Actually after she weaned I never got engorged but I still had milk for about a month after. I am sure that you will need and enjoy this trip by 18 months!

carolineb 01-30-2012 10:09 PM

Thanks mamas! DH is a great dad, but since he works long hours and travels quite a bit, too, I'm sure it will be really hard for him to manage, but I won't worry about that! He'll be fine, he's just not the best multi-tasker! Our oldest one will help him figure out "mommy's" ways of doing things. Even this week with DH gone, my oldest one is really helping more than usual. He's made up his brother's bed, helped him get toothpaste on his toothbrush, cleaned up toys quickly.

Anyway, back to my OP, thanks for the help/tips. Basically it will be Saturday morning we'll leave and go biking all day, camp that night, bike Sunday and come back that afternoon/evening. I can't wait!!

Oh, and I am sending him on a trip with a buddy to either Yosemite or Grand Canyon for his 40th birthday, and he's currently in Australia for business and has a number of other trips this year, so he totally owes me! HA!

rcima 01-31-2012 12:45 AM

Do you ever leave your LO alone with DH? If not, you might try leaving him with DH for a few hours at a time, a few times before the trip and see how your son does. If your DS is used to being with you all or most of the time and then you just leave him for a weekend (still nursing or not), he may have a difficult time. I know we all need our breaks as moms, but I think it's important to make sure that your DS is ready for such a long separation first. He'll grow quickly and you can always put together a weekend like this when he's a little older.

colin-mylilguy 02-02-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcima (Post 14559002)
Do you ever leave your LO alone with DH? If not, you might try leaving him with DH for a few hours at a time, a few times before the trip and see how your son does. If your DS is used to being with you all or most of the time and then you just leave him for a weekend (still nursing or not), he may have a difficult time. I know we all need our breaks as moms, but I think it's important to make sure that your DS is ready for such a long separation first. He'll grow quickly and you can always put together a weekend like this when he's a little older.

:yeahthat: