Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Adoption and Foster Care (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   Foster Care Present Question? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1345880)

akhwbj1 01-30-2012 08:02 PM

Foster Care Present Question?

I have a set of friends who are starting foster care. They are starting their classes soon, and should be able to start getting children within a month or so. I am wanting to put together a small basket for them, but I am clueless on what I should put in it. They put on their app they would like children from 0-6 years old. Can someone help me figure this out? TIA!

Mama2ManyBoyz 01-30-2012 08:08 PM

Re: Foster Care Present Question?

Books!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like something that may get overlooked easily is how beneficial reading could be to these children. In general, a love for reading is an amazing gift to give to a child but these children often have delays. They could benefit so much by being read to as much as possible. Not to mention, many have likely never been read to. It's such a precious thing to do with your child and an experience they should not miss out on!

Msheidiann 01-30-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama2ManyBoyz
Books!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like something that may get overlooked easily is how beneficial reading could be to these children. In general, a love for reading is an amazing gift to give to a child but these children often have delays. They could benefit so much by being read to as much as possible. Not to mention, many have likely never been read to. It's such a precious thing to do with your child and an experience they should not miss out on!

Yes! Books! Our LO started loving books at 3 months! He loves his nightly book. maybe a stuffed animal, like a soft squishy one for an older babe/toddler/youngster. That age range is hard! Also maybe a soft blanket with satin edges for a little one who may be scared from the transition...I would think comfort items. Then if they get a newborn, they'll have things for later!

WynneBabies 01-30-2012 09:39 PM

I totally agree. Maybe some stuffed animals, soft dolls and lovey type blankets. Some kids come with nothing or almost nothing and having an assortment of items to use in those situations would be great. Books for sure though! Sadly many kids who enter foster care hardly know what a book is. :(

pcjs 01-30-2012 10:40 PM

Books, trains, hot wheels cars, toddler size cars, dolls, puzzles, crayons and coloring books, leap frog toys. You may just want to wait till they get a placement and do a gift for the specific child then.

Chris10 01-31-2012 08:05 AM

It's nice to have toothbrushes and brushes on hand. A tooth brush is the #1 thing kids have come without to my house, so having several extras at all times has been important. I'm sure it's something a lot of fp's don't think about either!

I agree some books would be nice. A small teddy bear would be loved by any kid 0-6.

juclark77 01-31-2012 08:06 AM

The book Another Place at the Table would be a great pre-placement gift. It gives a good picture of what foster parenting can be like. When they get a placement, meals are a super gift. The adjustment period can be really hard, and help with food can make life much easier. I would be amazed though if they can start getting placements in a month. I got my foster license in 2 different states, and each time it took about 9 months.

newmommy13 01-31-2012 03:04 PM

This is such a sweet thing to do! Your friends are lucky to have you. We have gotten some less than stellar responses from friends and family unfortunately.

I agree books, cool toothbrushes, small stuffed animals and maybe a blanket or 2. I just got a few fleece blanket kits for under $10 so thats a nice simple homemade gift that a kid might think is cool.

sunnymommy 01-31-2012 08:44 PM

There are some books very good at the small child level explaining foster care. I think one is called "Kids Need to be Safe". Those would be good to have on hand to read to them I would think.

KCMommy 02-02-2012 03:05 AM

Best gifts I got when we started were multicultural toys and books!