Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Thrush/Yeast Infection of the Nipples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1346200)

myheartsathome11 01-31-2012 02:13 PM

Thrush/Yeast Infection of the Nipples

Breastfeeding has been a huge struggle but I refuse to give up. I got Mastitis and the yeast infection at the same time. The mastitis went away but I still have the yeast infection and my daughter still has thrush. Even though we have been on medications for weeks it has not went away. How long does this take to get rid of??? My nipples feel like they are on fire!

2+2macht4 01-31-2012 02:23 PM

Re: Thrush/Yeast Infection of the Nipples

I had issues for a few months. Try washing with vinigear after you nurse, let it air dry. No wet nursing pads. If possible go topless and allow your breasts uv exposure.

tibeca 01-31-2012 05:28 PM

Some "medications" are less efficient than others. It could also be something other than yeast. What have you been doing to fight it off?

myheartsathome11 02-02-2012 01:04 PM

I've been doing the vinegar wash with a prescription nipple cream, nipple shields instead of breast pads(except I do use breast pads when I go out...which is not very often here lately..) air dry, and giving my little one her medicine. My doctor did have me on an oral medication too but the dose is only a weeks worth...but it didn't really seem to help at all. I've also been watching how much sugar and dairy I eat as well. I saw a lactation consultant and she said that they can find the yeast and spread it. I just don't know what else to do...

tibeca 02-02-2012 03:14 PM

Jack Newman Yeast Protocol

Everything I'll write below is covered in the above link.

How have you been washing your laundry (bath towels, bras, diapers, etc.)? You can keep spreading yeast on clothing too. Use either bleach or grapefruit seed extract in your laundry to keep your laundry yeast free. You can also use grapefruit seed extract, alternating with diluted apple cider vinegar to wash your nipples and baby's mouth. Grapefruit seed extract can be taken orally to help fight it from inside too.

Also increase intake of probiotics to help boost your immune system. Maximum dosages are about 60 billion cultures per day. Do not start at 60 billion if you don't currently take probiotics or you will get diarrhea. Be sure to buy refrigerated probiotics (as ones that are sitting on the shelf lose efficiency quickly), taking whatever dosage that is on the bottle and gradually working up to 60 billion (if necessary). You can also give your baby probiotics which will help fight the yeast she has.

What nipple cream are you using? If you are using nystatin, it may make sense to switch to something else, like miconazole. Miconazole (also known as Monistat) can be used safely on your nipple (without wiping off before feeding) to help treat thrush. This is the method we use.

Other foods to avoid include all processed foods (think white flour, white rice) and fruits naturally high in sugar like bananas.

Also, if you are using any pacifiers, bottle nipples or breast pumps, they all need to be sanitized or you will never get rid of the yeast.

Worst case scenario, take a print out of the link I posted and go back to your doctor for more Fluconazole. Make sure that you get the stronger dosage recommended by Jack Newman, not the "standard" recommendations most doctors have.

FINALLY, it is possible that you don't have yeast. If you see true yeast in your daughter's mouth, she probably has it. Not seeing it doesn't mean she doesn't, but seeing it helps confirm diagnosis. BUT, you could also/insteadbe dealing with:
-irritation from the vinegar
-irritation from something in the nipple cream you were prescribed
-eczema