Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nursing 1-year old (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1346237)

osmom 01-31-2012 02:53 PM

Nursing 1-year old

Hi all, what did you do when your baby got older... do you still nurse before all solids? We are firm believers in breast is best until one-year, and introduced solids around 7/8 months. At 11 months, he eats a small solid breakfast and a solid dinner but I am still nursing before these meals and throughout the day. We will soon introduce a meal of solids for lunch... what do/did you do about nursing still? He is a big comfort nurser too, but I wonder what is normal/average nursing for his age. Do you do it just AM/PM and naps? Do tell!

2+2macht4 01-31-2012 02:56 PM

Re: Nursing 1-year old

We do not nurse on schedule, some are routine, but others when he wants.

Always mornings, bedtimes and naps.

During the day he signs for milk or pulls at my shirt. If he is super fussy I see if he wants to nurse.

I would say at this point he nurses 4-5 times a day. Normally just short longer at nap and bedtimes.

mibarra 01-31-2012 03:18 PM

At 1 year I began nursing when it was requested, but my LO LOVES table food. I would nurse after solids if you are trying to encourage solids. :)

ho11yb 01-31-2012 05:10 PM

When ds1 turned 1 he was nursing at the same times (give or take a bit) every day - 5am, 8, 11, 2, 5, 7pm (bedtime). When he turned one, I stopped offering the 11 nursing session and we would just nurse if he asked for it. Very quickly he went from nursing about 11 & 2, to just nursing around noon. When I saw how well he was able to communicate when he did want milk, but also how ready he seemed to have fewer nursing sessions & eat more finger foods, I started only nursing when he asked for milk. He dropped the 5pm nursing session, then the 8 am session as well, then he stopped the noon session, then the before bed nursing as well. For about a month he nursed only in the am when he first woke & came In to bed with us, but then I got pregnant & my milk dried up. He continued trying to nurse for a few weeks, but then gave it up. I was so sad the morning he woke and didn't want to nurse. :( but, I was also happy that he had been largely in control of how he weaned and didn't seem troubled by it at all. I'm glad that we were able to nurse until he was over 16 months.

MDever 01-31-2012 05:18 PM

We continue to nurse on demand. Poppy nurses MANY more times than the pp mentioned like 10+ for sure. I do not restrict her at all. She is not huge on solids but we offer her meals in her highchair 3x per day and 1-2 snacks. I think it is personal preference really. Whatever works for you is the way to go :goodvibes:

thtr4me 01-31-2012 05:19 PM

We are still mainly nursing, at least when I am home. When I am at work and he is home with DH or the nanny, they are feeding him (I seem to have the only kiddos who will not put food in their own mouths), since he will not take milk from a bottle. We offer finger foods, but he just throws them (silly baby). DS1 did not really eat full meals until closer to 2, and DS2 looks like he is going to be the same way, although he does eat a LOT more than DS1 did at this age, just not enough to warrant offering food before nursing.

tibeca 01-31-2012 05:21 PM

Only you can decide when to stop "offering". I believe in offering until they consistently refuse. Example: I always nursed DD about 30minutes to an hour before dinner. Around 13 months she started refusing to nurse then. If I offered at dinner time, she would again say no and eat her food. So I stopped offering after about 3 weeks of that. Follow your baby's cues. If he wants solids, he'll let you know and refuse to nurse.

DD is now just over 14 months and I am 13 weeks pregnant. She nurses at least 8 times a day, mostly at night.

eljube112 01-31-2012 05:22 PM

I nurse on demand still (dd will be 1 in 10 days). Always in the morning when she first wakes up and before naps and bed. I don't usually offer it before a meal because I know that she will fill up on it if I let her.

Most days she doesn't eat a "real" lunch because she just wants to nurse and go right to bed.

She is by far my most avid nurser of my three. By this age, my other two were nursing only at nap and bedtime.

osmom 02-01-2012 07:14 PM

Thanks everyone! :) I should have mentioned that I, too, nurse on demand and will continue to do so. He's never taken a bottle and I'm home with him all but two mornings/week and then he's just across the street while I work so they just call me to come nurse when he's hungry.

We don't really have a schedule and never have, but as we started to introduce solids, I always nursed before offering them and still try to just to get as much good milk in him as I can. I just wondered at what point you stopped nursing before meals and just nursed on demand. He's so wiggly and into *everything* these days that I often wonder how much he's really drinking and since I don't pump I have no idea. I know he's still getting enough and am not worried about it, but I am curious!

I'm new here, but already love chatting and hearing everyone's opinions/feedback. Thanks :)

colin-mylilguy 02-01-2012 08:11 PM

My LO is 13.5 months. He still mostly nurses. He nurses when he wakes up, sometimes an hour or two later, then right before his morning nap, as soon as he wakes from his nap, sometimes after another hour or two, before his afternoon nap, after his nap, about 2 hours later and before bed. Then he nurses anywhere from 1-4 times during the night, averaging about 2. I'd say he nurses anywhere from 8-12 times in a 24 hour period of time. I do still nurse before solids, but really its more that I offer solids after he has nursed, if that makes sense. ;) I think the milk is still superior to cheerios, etc. and from what I've read, its normal for most babies to keep breastmilk as their primary food source up to age 2. I'm fine with that. I just follow what LO wants to do. For a while, I offered to nurse him at times when I thought he would want to but now that he's a little older, he comes to me and pulls on my shirt and face plants into my chest. :giggle: I get the message pretty easily. ;)