Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Adoption and Foster Care (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   Is it redonkulous to even consider fostering at this point?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1346362)

bluecandi 01-31-2012 06:55 PM

Is it redonkulous to even consider fostering at this point??

So its been on my heart to foster for a very long while. I brought it up to DH tonight and he is cautiously ok with it but he is wanting to start back to school in March/April. So he would be working full time and schooling full time while I SAHM. I wonder if it is a bad idea at this point because I am not sure he would have the ability to go to a crapton of classes (if we do this I want to certify to foster/adopt which is a few extra classes). We live in TX BTW.

I guess I am just curious if it is a bad idea to attempt to certify now, but I also worry that if it doesnt get done now, it might never get done. (Make sense??)

Also, how long do classes take to complete?

Thanks inspirational mamas!!

Mama2ManyBoyz 01-31-2012 07:52 PM

Re: Is it redonkulous to even consider fostering at this point??

Our classes took about two months or so. I think they offer different schedules so they can be completed at different paces. Honestly, I would just certify. You don't have to take a placement until you're feeling comfortable or you find a good fit. We've been licensed since Mayish and haven't had a placement. Not so much a lack of placements, but every one they asked us to take was either a baby ( I have two already ;)) large sibling sets, or much older then we had intended to accept. On top of that, there were times they called but I was like literally nine months pregnant and then again post c-section (third c-section=3 times as horrible recovery) Now we decided we want to homeschool which throws a whole new wrench in things. I'm ok with it though. These are long term commitments and the timing and/or fit really needs to be right, especially since I have four kids of my own. But at least I'm licensed for when it feels right!

Mama2ManyBoyz 01-31-2012 08:01 PM

Should also add that while it seemed like a crazy time to license...I was pregnant and had an extremely attached baby who had to be left with a sitter once a week for training...I'm really glad we did it, because life only gets crazier. I mean really, how often do we think things will calm down at some point but they really never do. Like I said, at least I have it under my belt for when the timing is right.

Mama2ManyBoyz 01-31-2012 08:33 PM

No less than five minutes after responding to this thread did I get a call for a placement. Three year old boy, almost said yes, but then asked if they had called my friend also licensed through the same agency. She would have killed me if I had taken a little one before her...I have 4, she has 0 :(

Now had it been a girl...whole 'nother story ;)

sillyutalktome 01-31-2012 08:42 PM

We certified last year in Texas. We started class in February, finished them in April. It took a few weeks for the homestudy to be finalized, we were licensed in May.

Keeping up with the training hours the next year isn't too hard with our agency. They provide a lot of take home materials and Saturday trainings. I guess it's really just up to you on how much you can handle with your dh being so busy.

ETA - We are licensed to foster adopt as well, and through our private agency we didn't have to do any extra training. At least, not that I noticed.

newmommy13 02-01-2012 08:52 AM

I agree with PP just get get certified in your own time and worry abbout placements as they come. It will never be the right time, or you might think that a certain LO would be worth making sacrifices for. Does that make sense? You wont even know if your perfect placement is needing a home if you arent licensed. Plus classes might not be that intense. Our agency licenses as soon as the homestudy is done and the class has to be done within the first year. We will take it asap, but i think there is a lot of flexibility. Other foster parents have demanding schedules too im sure. You never know until you try!

bluecandi 02-02-2012 12:42 PM

Silly, how does it work with a private agency?? Also were/are you in the DFW area?? I did not know that cps worked with private agencies......or is that just for adoption??

Feeling lost lol

Thanks for the kick in the behind!! Im going to get it started. :D

newmommy13 02-02-2012 03:42 PM

There are foster agencies that are contracted through the county. I am not sure exactly how it works but we are being licenced through an agency in our county.

Katiesara 02-02-2012 07:30 PM

We are in the Wichita Falls area and becoming certified through a private agency. When we first called CPS, we were told that throughout the state they are being encouraged to recommend private agencies to foster parents and have CPS workers available to work more with the children. You shouldn't have to do any extra training to become certified as foster/adopt than just foster. But, there may be other extra requirements such as health and life insurance, etc. good luck!

sillyutalktome 02-02-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecandi (Post 14574617)
Silly, how does it work with a private agency?? Also were/are you in the DFW area?? I did not know that cps worked with private agencies......or is that just for adoption??

Feeling lost lol

Thanks for the kick in the behind!! Im going to get it started. :D

We're in the Austin area. Here in our region you can only be licensed to foster or adopt through private agencies. It looks like there are some private agencies in your area. I think our agency may have a location in Dallas, but I can't find the info on their website. If you look at the introductory meeting schedule it should list local private agencies, but we went to a county first meeting and they provided a list of private agencies. Most large county areas in Texas have private foster agencies. It relieves the burden on CPS. Our agency trains us, monitors us, checks on the children, offers training and support and just so much more. I love being in a private agency.