Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   weird place for C/S incision (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1346422)

mallotalvo 01-31-2012 09:09 PM

weird place for C/S incision

Hey mommas,

I'm glad to see there's a forum on here about our C/Ss. :) This is my second C/S-- Ive had to switch doctors and states due to a military move. My new doctor isn't my favorite so far; and, he told me he was going to give me a vertical incision "two-inches below your sternum and remove the baby and placenta from there". He claims it'll be easier recovery than going through (or close to) original horizontal scar in bikini area.

Also, the new doctor wants to give me a gastric "sleeve" during the same surgery b/c i'm 50 lbs overweight... because i'm PREGNANT.

Has ANYONE heard of this or had it done? Should I demand a new OB?

I'm totally confused and a bit miffed he called me "obese" while i'm 36 weeks!:banghead:

misskira 01-31-2012 09:14 PM

Re: weird place for C/S incision

I have a very overweight friend, and her ob offered a higher side incision because it would be easier to heal. She has a large stomach and it hangs over where a traditional incision would be. She is opting for the bikini one anyways, just knowing it will take extra care and cleaning and all that. I have a little bit of that so I know it takes a watchful eye, but mine healed just fine. I made sure to let water rinse over it in the shower and patted it dry really well afterwards. DH looked at it daily to check for any signs of infection.

If I were you, I would be offended too. Especially if you aren't very overweight. Maybe ask the dr. what others in the practice do and what the results are like. I would refuse any kind of gastric anything though... that's not what you need while you're recovering from a csection and pregnancy.

jenbengtson 01-31-2012 09:15 PM

I would ask for a new OB, I would't let me do that. He has no right to talk to you like that and tell you what he thinks is best

georgiasmommy 01-31-2012 09:27 PM

I've heard that vertical incisions are easier to heal, but mine is horizontal so I don't have experience with it. So far as the gastric surgery, I would be very upset that he would indicate obesity when you're so close to the end of pregnancy. Many people gain differently during pregnancy, and he should know that. Pregnancy weight is not any indication of your non-preg weight. Can you request a different OB in the office? I know tri-care can be a pain to deal with....

wordmama 02-01-2012 03:40 PM

If you are planning to have any more children, I wouldn't allow him to do a vertical incision. And I would definitely be seeking a second opinion based on his other suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Dutchlish 02-01-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wordmama (Post 14568988)
If you are planning to have any more children, I wouldn't allow him to do a vertical incision. And I would definitely be seeking a second opinion based on his other suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

:yeahthat:

jmoon 02-01-2012 03:48 PM

:jawdrop: That's the craziest thing I have ever heard! Definitely get a second opinion! Weight loss surgery is for people 100 or more pounds overweight. NOT for people who just had babies!

Fusion 02-01-2012 03:52 PM

Wow, I would run away as quickly as possible. That guy sounds like a nut.

mom22boysand1girl 02-01-2012 04:01 PM

I am about to have my 4th c/s. I have never had a vertical done before. I was heavier before I got pg and had just done the hcg diet. I got down to 173 and then found out I was pg. Due to bad m/s I am still only 182 at 27 weeks pg. I am not skinny by any means and have some skin hang over after my c/s but I am just really careful and make sure to dry really well.
He sounds like a nut job to me.

Computermama 02-01-2012 05:43 PM

I'd run and run far. At 50lbs overweight you need neither a vertical incision for a cesarian nor weight loss surgery. That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard today, and I've had a very bad day.