Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Planned c-sec for 2nd child (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1346427)

georgiasmommy 01-31-2012 09:22 PM

Planned c-sec for 2nd child

I am so excited to be having our second child in March! We have a 4yo girl named Georgia and are now expecting a boy. My daughter was an ER c-section after a 35 hr failed induction attempt. Unfortunately, my hospital will not allow VBAC attempts, so we have to have a scheduled c-section for this pregnancy. Can anyone tell me what to expect in a scheduled vs. er? I barely remember my daughter's birth due to the drugs, exhaustion, and emotions.

mallotalvo 01-31-2012 09:50 PM

Re: Planned c-sec for 2nd child

Mine was kinda an emergency and planned at the same time. Baby boy's shoulders and stomach were too big for a vaginal birth. So, due to some preeclampsia they bumped me up 3 weeks. But mine went as planned... got the epi (requested), they turned on some classical music to relax me (requested in birth plan), they gave me a horizonal incision in bikini area, and out he came. No real fuss! Hard part came after surgery with him having to hang out in the NICU for a week and couldn't be brought to my room; but, he gave me a lot of reason to get up and move out of my bed/room.

GL to you and yours!

ps-- forgot to add, if you're not easily grossed out and your doctors offer, you can watch your baby being born through a mirror. i tried but my hubby almost passed out. doc took the mirror away.

holl_ie 01-31-2012 10:01 PM

I'm no help just wanted to say Good Luck and we have a Georgia too!

georgiasmommy 01-31-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mallotalvo (Post 14564794)
ps-- forgot to add, if you're not easily grossed out and your doctors offer, you can watch your baby being born through a mirror. i tried but my hubby almost passed out. doc took the mirror away.

I know my hubby will be fine. Mine happened so fast, they had already started the c-section while he was getting in the scrubs. He walked in to see the dr. "elbow deep" in there. I think watching his birth would be so cool, but I'm the squeamish one... :yuck:

georgiasmommy 01-31-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holl_ie (Post 14564844)
I'm no help just wanted to say Good Luck and we have a Georgia too!

Love the name Georgia! We live in Georgia, so that was a confusing conversation for her a couple of years ago.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 01-31-2012 10:18 PM

If you don't go into labor and everything goes smooth, a scheduled cs is pretty calm. You show up at the time they tell you, change into the hospital gown, get your blood drawn and Iv put in and wait to be taken into the OR.
Once in there, they will prep you, and the anesthesiologist will give you a few numbing shots into your back before doing your spinal block. They will lay you down and hook you to the blood pressure arm cuff and put up the drapes. My dr didn't allow me to watch the birth, I asked..lol
They did follow the rest of my birth plan though which was awesome.
They will start the incision right before bringing in your dh, he will sit next to you while they do this all, you can write a birth plan and also tell your dr if your dh wants to cut the cord.
They will get baby out and then begin closing you up. Depending on the dr, it can be fast or slow, when I had my dd and ds2, the dr had me open and closed back in recovery in 15 minutes, this cs I had 5 days ago, different dr and it took LONG imo.
You can request the baby be brought to you in recovery as well, my cs went pretty good aside from taking longer than I expected and I felt sick due to the dr sticking his arm all up in my belly.
Make sure once the numbness wears off, you start moving your legs, they should put these blue things on your legs that squeeze and release a lot, those are to circulate your blood flow so you don't get any blood clots.
Don't be afraid to ask for pain meds at any time. I hope your cs goes smooth. My recovery is harder this time, this is my third c/s and was a lot different than my last two.

amgermain 02-01-2012 07:00 AM

Pretty much what the last poster said! My hospital doesn't do a recovery room, they take you back to the L&D ward for a few hours to be monitored there. DD2 came with us and I had her on the breast within an hour of being born. They moved me to a postpartum room a couple hours after giving birth, I was allowed to have a liquid lunch (soup and juice), and was up and out of bed walking by 7 that night (my csection was 8:30 a.m.). Good luck! I definitely recovered more quickly the second time around.

mallotalvo 02-01-2012 09:07 AM

LOL@elbow deep!

i hope the c/s goes well for the both of us this time around! basically whatever you want on your birthplan, they will try to do for you.

georgiasmommy 02-01-2012 11:42 AM

Thanks ladies. I didn't know I could have a birth plan with a scheduled c-section. Good to know!

@Angela- that's great that they keep the baby with you! Our hospital will not even allow the father in the nursery with the baby (he has to stay behind the glass with everyone else), and no one is allowed in the recovery room with me. :(

mariamommy 02-01-2012 11:46 AM

They are pretty calm. You will walk right into the OR and they will do the spinal block on the OR table. And yes! get a birth plan and your wishes for how you want it to go.:) its surgical, but still your birth.