Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   "But isn't it weird?" (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1347153)

Joyful Tie Dyes 02-02-2012 10:47 AM

"But isn't it weird?"

This was the question I got the other day about BFing my 27 month old.

My answer was "Why would it be weird, BFing him is what I have been doing since moments after his birth. Why would something I do everyday suddenly become weird based on a calender? What will feel weird is when he weans and I don't BF him anymore"

Incubus527 02-02-2012 11:04 AM

Re: "But isn't it weird?"

Exactly!! I'm glad I never got those comments. (We weaned right at 2 yrs)

2+2macht4 02-02-2012 11:07 AM

No one has said that to me. I get more ohh you are still breastfeeding and DS is only 1. Most people here do not breastfeed past 6 months.

qsefthuko 02-02-2012 11:11 AM

That's funny I weaned both of my older 2 shortly before they turned 4. I would get funny looks especially from my brother and sister in law but they new better than to say anything. What I find weird is how many people post about their babies using them as a paci. Which came first mamas or pacis. Babies who use pacis are using them like the pacis are mamas not the other way around.

ofthemoonsglow 02-02-2012 11:14 AM

That is a great responce!! I'm totally stealing that for us in ooooh... about 20 months... we're only in month 6.75 right now :-)

Teexie 02-02-2012 11:16 AM

What's weird is drinking breastmilk from a cow :)
Not that I'm anti-cow milk, but still, if anything's weird, it's that!

Mama2McKenna 02-02-2012 11:19 AM

Love that response! I hate that question.

colin-mylilguy 02-02-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 14573848)
What I find weird is how many people post about their babies using them as a paci. Which came first mamas or pacis. Babies who use pacis are using them like the pacis are mamas not the other way around.

:werd:

OP, great response! So true.

When I was still pregnant, I was reading a lot about breastfeeding and I decided that I wanted to nurse my baby as long as he wanted, hopefully to 2 years or more. Somehow this came up in conversation with my SIL (who has 2 boys who are 2 & 4 years old) and she promptly told me that I was crazy as she kinda laughed at me while pointing out that I would still be breastfeeding a child the age of her two boys.... I remember pausing and then I said "Well, the World Health Organization and the American Academy of Pediatricians recommends breastfeeding to at least 2 years and beyond so I'm gonna stick with their expert advice" and she just stared at me, then looked away, then walked off... :giggle2: Later I told DH about it and he was so mad, he was ready to go tell his sister off but I told him "don't worry... the WHO and AAP already did!" :giggle2:

colin-mylilguy 02-02-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teexie (Post 14573877)
What's weird is drinking breastmilk from a cow :)
Not that I'm anti-cow milk, but still, if anything's weird, it's that!

:yeahthat: :giggle2:

rcima 02-03-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 14573848)
What I find weird is how many people post about their babies using them as a paci. Which came first mamas or pacis. Babies who use pacis are using them like the pacis are mamas not the other way around.

Why is it perfectly "normal" and accepted for a 3-year-old to be walking around with a paci in his/her mouth 24/7, but it's abnormal, weird, etc. for my LO to still be nursing? This frustrates me to no end. I keep reiterating that this is what has been done for thousands of years, this is what we were designed (or evolved, whatever your stance :giggle:) to do. I am so frustrated with the breastfeeding ignorance in the western world. Someone recently asked me how often DD takes a bottle (in addition to nursing), and I told them she doesn't, they were shocked! As if you can't possibly raise a child without a bottle. Okay, I'll stop ranting :thumbsup: