Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sooo Hungry, All the Time!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1347899)

cobbermama 02-03-2012 07:30 PM

Sooo Hungry, All the Time!!

Me, not the babe. :giggle: LO is literally sucking the calories right out of me. Me clothes are all too big! And, I am hungry all.the.time. I can't for the life of me find healthy snacks that keep me full, and even my balanced meals aren't doing it. Any ideas?? It's tricky though... I have a student with life-threatening allergies to dairy, eggs, and all nuts, so not a trace of those things or their ingredients is allowed in my classroom. What would be good to snack on??!!

(Couldn't decide which forum to post this in, so I put it here since its the BFing that's making me so hungry! I think...)

lil_filly 02-03-2012 07:55 PM

Could you not keep food in the staff room? That's what I did while pregnant. Soy nuts, avocados, cottage cheese, oats... some foods that keep me full.

Leiiki 02-03-2012 08:19 PM

My vote would be bananas and apples and maybe mini-boxes of rice milk on hand, and smoothies with yogurt, tofu, flax/chia, etc. in individual bottles in the staff room. Anytime you have a moment to leave the room, chug a smoothie.

aept 02-03-2012 09:23 PM

Gosh it is hard to get protein without nuts, dairy or eggs. No wonder you're starving!
Ideas:
Dates and sunbutter (it is nut-allergy safe) or just plain sunflower seeds come to mind.
Do you have a bread machine? If so there are some recipes out there for whole grain bread that is dairy free. Then you could have sunbutter and banana sandwiches. Yum. (Or find dairy and egg free bread at the store.)
I think "wholly guacamole" comes in small stay-fresh packs. That would give you some great healthy fats and tortilla chips should doable as an accompaniment.
Maybe some sort of quinoa and bean salad, or tabbouleh, those might be yummy and filling.
How about veggies or chips to dip in hummus? Unless the student allergic to sesame - because hummus does usually have sesame tahini.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

cobbermama 02-03-2012 09:42 PM

Re: Sooo Hungry, All the Time!!

I knew you guys would have some great ideas. :) Making a list of all these things...thanks mamas!!

(This totally makes me feel for the kiddo with allergies- must be super hungry all the time!! Poor kid.)

I do keep some food in the staff room, but can't always escape down there when I need a snack (for example, our morning "snack break" when we all take 5 minutes--kids included--to eat something), so I need stuff to keep in the room, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aept (Post 14583465)
Gosh it is hard to get protein without nuts, dairy or eggs. No wonder you're starving!
Ideas:
Dates and sunbutter (it is nut-allergy safe) or just plain sunflower seeds come to mind.
Do you have a bread machine? If so there are some recipes out there for whole grain bread that is dairy free. Then you could have sunbutter and banana sandwiches. Yum. (Or find dairy and egg free bread at the store.)
I think "wholly guacamole" comes in small stay-fresh packs. That would give you some great healthy fats and tortilla chips should doable as an accompaniment.
Maybe some sort of quinoa and bean salad, or tabbouleh, those might be yummy and filling.
How about veggies or chips to dip in hummus? Unless the student allergic to sesame - because hummus does usually have sesame tahini.

We don't have a bread machine, but now that I think of it, my parents have one that they haven't used in forever...maybe they want to share. :) Because I totally want those sandwiches now!!

lil_filly 02-03-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aept

I would be careful with hummus and bf. My LO doesn't tolerate it well.

danielle 02-04-2012 06:18 AM

Make granola bars with sunflower seed butter and coconut oil, with no nuts and dried cherries or raisins. Dried fruits have protein. You can add in some wheat germ and flax seeds too. Whatever you need.

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...-granola-bars/

Squig'sMumMum 02-04-2012 09:27 AM

Re: Sooo Hungry, All the Time!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbermama (Post 14583571)
(This totally makes me feel for the kiddo with allergies- must be super hungry all the time!! Poor kid.)

I was browsing the thread and trying to come up with some ideas for you and failing... But when you say the above it made me think "She should contact that kids mom for snack ideas! I bet she has a bunch since she deals with this in her home.". Is that an option? It would also allow you to run your current ideas by her to make sure there is nothing in there that could potentially bother the poor kid.

cobbermama 02-04-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squig'sMumMum

I was browsing the thread and trying to come up with some ideas for you and failing... But when you say the above it made me think "She should contact that kids mom for snack ideas! I bet she has a bunch since she deals with this in her home.". Is that an option? It would also allow you to run your current ideas by her to make sure there is nothing in there that could potentially bother the poor kid.

Yup, totally an option. We actually do have an "approved snack list" from her, but I could totally ask her for some more high-protein ideas!