Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New to cloth diapering - what am I missing? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1348510)

babynumber2iscoming 02-05-2012 12:55 AM

New to cloth diapering - what am I missing?

My last go-round, we used a diaper service (just prefolds, snappis, and covers), and with baby #2 I'm going to make the switch to buying and washing the diapers on my own. Our budget is pretty low, though fortunately, I've been the recipient of a gift of some pre-used diapers and covers to get us started (see list below.)

- For all of you experienced cloth-diapering mamas out there, my first question is, what is missing?
- Should I buy some prefolds (a dozen, maybe?) and snappis to round out the list?
- Also, I'm a bit hazy about sizes. If I have a baby in the 7-8lb range (like my firstborn), will the size smalls get me through the first 6 months or should I pick up a few mediums or one-size's?

SMALL All-in-One Cloth Diapers:
6 Bum Genius (aplix)
6 Thirsties (aplix)
2 Dream-Eze (snaps)

SMALL fitted Cloth Diapers (require a waterproof cover):
2 Bamboozle bamboo (snaps)
2 Kissaluvs organic hemp/cotton (snaps)
2 Dream-Eze cotton (snaps)

Waterproof covers:
2 XS Thirsties
3 S Thirsties
3 S Bummis

So, what's missing? We're trying not to spend much money at this time, and want to have a simple, practical stash to get us through the first 6 months. Looking forward to your feedback!

MeCo7707 02-05-2012 03:48 AM

Re: New to cloth diapering - what am I missing?

I think you may need some one-size or mediums, because my smalls were too small by 3-4 months on my girls and they were 8 lbs at birth

This is my third child and we EC for most of the time but use cloth as our backup and for this child I am loving the hybrids (shells with different insert options) I have a few grovia's and love them.

zabnut 02-05-2012 03:55 AM

Dont forget wetbags or pail liners. Its the worst hosing down your pail because you only have one damn liner, and its drying outside, and the baby just had a massive poop - and that diaper had to go somewhere because a disgusting hound was eyeing it.
Le sigh.

minneapolisite 02-05-2012 07:32 AM

* two wetbags (or pail liners), so you have a back up while one is in the wash

* a diaper rash cream that is safe for cloth diapers (CJ's BUTTer seems to be the most popular choice)

* I would probably get a few SoftBums shells with SoftBums pods (or prefolds/flats if you're wanting to save money). The SoftBums shells are a true "one size" diaper that can get you through those in between sizes (like "newborn," and "medium" without investing in a ton of sized diapers)

Melinda29 02-05-2012 09:14 AM

I would also get two pail liners, like pp said.

You have plenty of covers. I would get 12-16 small prefolds (Imagine greens) and a snappi or pins. That would give you enough to wash every 2-3 days.

You mostly have smalls, not x-smalls. That's fine, but do know that your LO may not fit into them well for a few weeks if s/he is on the small side. This stash might get you six months, might not. Just depends on how fast your LO gains weight.

If you can possibly afford it, look into getting those aplix converted to snaps before LO arrives. Aplix can really chew up all your nice diapers in the wash.

I like to have as many wipes as I do diapers. You can cut up old receiving blankets for those. I actually received a ton of baby washcloths and serged those with flannel into 5x8" two-sided wipes. I love them.

mamaspice 02-05-2012 09:19 AM

I say yes to prefolds and a snappi for newborn/small.

Also yes to mediums or one sized dapers. I thought smalls were going to last me to 6 months too, but we only made it to about 3.

Which Bummis do you have? You may need more nb covers.

papoosecaboose 02-05-2012 09:55 AM

2 pail liners fo sho! I'm always rotating them. One is hanging to dry and I'm using the other. Kissaluvs Antibacterial Pail Liners are the ones I settled on (after trying a Planet Wise). They are only $15 and have held up very nicely for the past year and a half.

2 medium wet bags if you're going to be CDing out and about often. I bought one and that's sufficient for us because we don't go many places.

If you want to save more money, then use cloth wipes. You can find them anywhere or as pp said, make your own. For my first year, I just used our big stack of baby washcloths. I invested in a nice set from Little Boppers a few months ago and it's stupid how a cute cuddly wipe can make you smile. Love em! For the liquid part, I use California Baby Diaper Area Wash that comes in a handy spray bottle. It's $10 a bottle at Target and I dilute it halfway with purified water, so that stretches it twice as long. I've been CDing since July 2010 and I have just bought my third bottle of it. It lasts a long time!

Depending on the size of your little one and how much they grow, you will probably need something larger than "Small" to get you to the 6 month mark.My philosophy is, if you're going to buy mediums, you might as well buy one-size that will last until PLing. My baby was average size (50% height and weight) an he was out of his smalls in only 3 months. By then, the BG 4.0's fit perfectly and that's just about all we use now.

And regarding the aplix vs snaps, I wouldn't go with all of one kind right from the beginning. I had all snaps because I found that I liked them better with my older son. Well, they ended up totally not fitting my baby and I had to switch to aplix, which fits like a dream. It's probably good to have a mix of both until you figure out what works for you.

Good luck and enjoy, it's really fun CDing a newborn!

Mercy24 02-05-2012 11:00 AM

I would definitely get prefolds, I had 24 dipes and had to wash everyday or I'd run out.

Pail liners/hanging pail are a must! And I'd also get 2 wet bags for out and about. I'd say 2 more thirsties xs as well, the small bummis are going to be huge on a little newbie.

Alikhlas 02-05-2012 12:17 PM

For covers, try Thirsties duo instead of xs to help get you thru longer,

sweetest 02-05-2012 12:28 PM

I have 7-8 lb babies too... my babies chunk up super fast so I'm not anticipating my NB/small stash to last much beyond 2 months!

My early stash is a 6 NB/6 Small fitted, 24 NB prefolds, and Small GMD flats (thinking about 30?) and a whole bunch of NB/small covers. I'm doing OS covers after the smalls (so far I have econobums and flips, thinking about adding blueberries and grovia shells). And I'm hoping the flats will work after the NB prefolds are outgrown so I don't need to buy more prefolds...