Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Short and sweet!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1348515)

mum2b~mel 02-05-2012 03:08 AM

Short and sweet!!

What do you all think about nursing babies to sleep for naps and bed time? Do you think it's a bad habit or natural and lovely?

I have been doing it this whole time with my 7mo but now he's not sleeping vgood at night and everyone is telling me that he needs to be put in his cot awake?

Thoughts mammas? x

mum to beautiful boy and loving cloth nappy-ing him!

kgmom 02-05-2012 05:16 AM

I have done it for as long as each baby will fall asleep nursing (eventually they stop on their own). Once they start having problems falling asleep on me we work on getting them to go to bed awake. Babyhood is so fleeting and I enjoy nursing to sleep too much to stop it in the name of sleep training! There are ways to get baby to sleep better at night without nursing back to sleep at every night waking (such as having dad go in to comfort baby). Also I would expect a 7 month old to be hungry and need to nurse at least once a night...
If you haven't read it already, Elizabeth Pantley's "No Cry Sleep Solution" has some good suggestions for gentle ways to get a breastfed baby to sleep better.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

tibeca 02-05-2012 08:16 AM

Re: Short and sweet!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgmom (Post 14589378)
I have done it for as long as each baby will fall asleep nursing (eventually they stop on their own). Once they start having problems falling asleep on me we work on getting them to go to bed awake. Babyhood is so fleeting and I enjoy nursing to sleep too much to stop it in the name of sleep training! There are ways to get baby to sleep better at night without nursing back to sleep at every night waking (such as having dad go in to comfort baby). Also I would expect a 7 month old to be hungry and need to nurse at least once a night...
If you haven't read it already, Elizabeth Pantley's "No Cry Sleep Solution" has some good suggestions for gentle ways to get a breastfed baby to sleep better.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

:yeahthat:

VeganCupcake 02-05-2012 09:09 AM

I think it's very natural--there's all kinds of biological reasons for it. My DD still nurses to sleep if she's going to take a nap. My DS has never liked to nurse to sleep because I have oversupply and he gets too much milk when he would prefer just comfort nursing.

Every kid is different. Even my DS, whom I put to bed awake (he also does not like to cosleep! Sometimes I wonder if he is a human or a cyborg), still wakes one to three times a night to nurse. Putting them to bed awake is not a cure-all for nightwaking, in my experience.

mibarra 02-05-2012 09:59 AM

My 13 month old always nursed to sleep. She now gets rocked to sleep at daycare during the week and by DH on weekends no problem. She will also often nurse, pull off, THEN go to sleep now. So no, I don't see the problem. :)

mum2b~mel 02-05-2012 11:56 AM

Thats all very comforting to hear! Thanks mammas!

mum to beautiful boy and loving cloth nappy-ing him!

mibarra 02-05-2012 12:45 PM

Also my DD woke up 4+ times a night to nurse until recently. My Ped (who BFed all her kiddos) said that this is pretty common in BF babies and she'd grow out of it on her own. Now that she's taken to solids she sleeps one 6-8 hour stretch, then up about 2 times from around 2-4 am til time to get up. :)

momof3boys1girl 02-05-2012 12:53 PM

done it with all mine :) DD was bottle fed and i still gave her a bottle and rocked her to sleep.

birds chart 02-05-2012 01:57 PM

i just did this a couple of minutes ago actually, i love it. often i will nap with her, the prolactin makes me sleepy sometimes, still. it's one of the best feelings in the world knowing your baby is comfy snuggled next to you, so peaceful. ignore those who tell you it's a bad habit, beware baby trainers - babies do the things they do for a reason.

amitchell98 02-05-2012 02:06 PM

my kids were never really those nurse-to-sleep sort of kiddos, so I'll be odd man out :) But probably more so because we didn't co-sleep. When they were newborns they would obviously fall asleep, but as they got more alert, I always laid them down in their crib awake. My son liked me to pat his butt while he fell asleep, but my daughter was so easy she would just lay down, stick her finger in her mouth and be out like a light. She's so cute now, when we're done nursing as soon as I stand up from the rocking chair, she's sort of pushing to get into her crib. She doesn't cry, she just lays down and goes to sleep.