Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Anyone else give up on used diapers??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1348625)

momomom 02-05-2012 12:32 PM

Anyone else give up on used diapers???

I am so tired of hunting for used. Maybe it's just the brands I want, but people ask too much, IMO, for used and I'm tired of the discrepancies of condition. My definition of vguc vs someone else's- KWIM?

Also, maybe I don't have the time others do to sit at the computer waiting for the good dipes that go so fast...

For the headache and risk, I'm just to the point of waiting for new diapers to go on sale 10% and saving myself the trouble.

Does anyone else feel this way?

bigeyedfish 02-05-2012 12:33 PM

Re: Anyone else give up on used diapers???

I think you just have to find a good seller! Look for someone with a lot of feedback with reasonable prices :)

MoccaMom 02-05-2012 12:39 PM

yup!!! As a newbie due in 6 weeks who is totally unfamiliar with all the regs of FSOT, I found that in most cases it was worth it for me to just buy new. I have only purchased 2-3 times off FSOT and I ended up buying new from the sellers at reasonable prices. Other than that, I found that I could get better deals by buying new off different websites.

For example, Flips are currently going for 6.98 a piece as part of their BOGO promotion. I purchased 2 and will purchase 2 more tomorrow. That's 27.90 for 4 new Flips. I would never get that off FSOT. KWIM :)

BG Artist series is another example of where it is worth it to just buy new. This is only my opinion though. Others may think differently :)

shen7 02-05-2012 12:44 PM

It's like fishing ;) Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes there's just nothing out there. I do tend to buy new if it is something I *know* I want and need right away, but if it's just experimenting with something different, or something I could use but don't need immediately, I tend to hang around FSOT and see what pops up.

Selling can be a real pain too ya know. Sometimes I feel like it might be a better use of my time and energy to just put things up FFS and not mess around with bumping the thread, people changing their minds after a million PMs back and forth, etc.

graces-mommie 02-05-2012 12:44 PM

I've been pretty surprised at the prices of used diapers as well. Even when I was looking for lots, they were going for way too much. I bought a lot of newborn items at the black friday sales and have been shocked to see the same brand of VGUC / EUC diapers listed for MORE than I paid for new.

I have also given up on FSOT, but bc I was lied to and bought a lot that was listed as new, prepped only. 75% came with stains and all had dog hair. I am still a little bitter about it I guess.

mfergy0625 02-05-2012 12:53 PM

I've been surprised about some prices too, but I do understand that the economy is so bad and people need the money. I usually buy new if it is something I really need and buy used if it is something I just want to try out. What upsets me the most are people not being truthful about the condition of their items.

Mercy24 02-05-2012 12:56 PM

I usually buy new unless it's just something I want to try out, then I hang around fsot to see if it pops up. If I decide I like it then I'll resell the used one and buy a small stash of new ones.

FriedaT 02-05-2012 01:05 PM

I'm also tired and weary of FSOT. I got tired of hunting so now if I *need* something, I'll list an ISO and change my signature for a few days and if there are no (reasonable) bites then I'll just buy new. I just bought some things off of FSOT that I'm waiting to get in the mail and I'm hoping for the best. The last several times I bought off of FSOT I was highly disappointed and swore Never Again, but here I go again... I've also sold things that were only used once or twice or only prepped for half of what I paid for them just to get rid of them. I'm trying to not do that anymore, but sometimes I really just want this stuff gone or I need the money for more night diapers or sizing up, etc.

wrightrottie 02-05-2012 01:11 PM

I don't mind the hunting, but I am on my first child. I would love anything that I buy to last through at least one more and probably several more babies. So I think it is worth it just to buy new for me. I was gifted some diapers that were used and although they are wonderful for now, they will not hold up forever.

mibarra 02-05-2012 01:19 PM

I love FSOT. It's easier for me to search there than a ton of websites for best price. If people are asking to much IME it's usually because they just don't know about a sale going on or something. I'm also not afraid to negotiate a little too. Plus I just consider buying used to be more green or something ;)