Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Can I really get my diapers clean in a front loader? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349836)

Sweetbabybows 02-07-2012 02:36 PM

Can I really get my diapers clean in a front loader?

My washer just died and flooded my house in the process :banghead: I already know that my husband is going to want a front loader because he has been talking about it for along time. I don't know why since I don't even remember the last time he did any laundry but whatever. So I'm wondering if I can really get my diapers clean in a front loader with out a ton of hassle.

Right now I'm using homemade laundry soap (Oxy,borax,washing soda,dawn) and I do a pre rinse, regular wash and another rinse with ecover) I really don't want to have to figure out a new routine especially since I'm pregnant and will have two in cloth soon. So would that work in a front loader? I'm worried about the dawn that it wouldn't get rinsed enough and I would have to do a million rinses where right now its just one extra is perfect!

Thanks for your help ladies!

808mamaof3 02-07-2012 02:42 PM

Re: Can I really get my diapers clean in a front loader?

I have a front loader and my diapers come out fine. I do a full wash cycle on hot with no spin and bac out in the rinse *The key is no so there is still extra water in for the next load* Then a heavy wash cycle on hot with Tide, a bit of super washing soda and ecover with extra spin. I then either dry in the dryer or line dry. We have pretty hard water so the washing soda helps us.

I'm not sure about how much Dawn you put in your washer. I don't think its recommended in a front loader (as it says to only put HE soap), but I've put a very little bit it before and just did one extra spin.

Queen_Celeste 02-07-2012 02:43 PM

I have used a front loader for 18 months with cloth. I do recommend either dissolving the detergent in a little water or switcihng to more of a liquid. I had some problems initially with not all of the detergent dissolving. I also found doing a sanitize cycle (uses extra hot water) once a month or so was the best way to keep buildup stinkies away. I also always used the 'extra water' option. I had read about pouring extra water in when you start, but I didn't like to have to do that.

minneapolisite 02-07-2012 02:45 PM

I have a front loader and my diapers are clean with Purex F&C (I tried Rockin Green but had the wrong formula for my water so it didn't work).

mariamommy 02-07-2012 02:51 PM

I love my front loader!! It can handle LARGE loads which is a huge plus for you, soon to be having 2 in diapers. You willl love the capacity. The more you put in there, the better it cleans, IMO. I have washed 50 diapers at once before (mostly prefolds and pockets with flats as inserts) and it handled the load great.

Choose a machine with lots of options!

I do a cold rinse cycle separately (takes 18 minutes), then a hot wash with detergent (changing the soil level to heavy, not normal), and choose the option for an extra rinse. We have soft water, I use Tide He liquid, and it cleans my diapers awesome.

AleahDeann 02-07-2012 02:52 PM

I have been using a front loader with my diapers for 2.5 years. It is not as terrible as a lot of people think. I do a prerinse, then a heavy duty wash with a presoak (my machine soaks for 30 min) with detergent, then an extra rinse at the end. The key is to look in the manual and find which cycle uses the most water and use that as your main cycle, for me it is the heavy duty cycle. I did start doing a strip on my diapers about once every 6 months when my toddler had some rank pee. But with DS2 we havent had the rank pee yet so I havent stripped them in a while.

I currently use Eco Sprout but will be making my own detergent when I run out and am anxious to see how that goes.

papoosecaboose 02-07-2012 02:58 PM

I have a Front Loader and have been CDing for almost 2 years now. My diapers are in good shape, they never stink and I don't have to strip them or use any additives. I do 3 wash cycles. The first on warm w/o soap, the second on hot w/ Tide and the third on hot w/o anything. I do have a secret weapon, though; I still have 5 boxes of Original Tide left. :giggle: But before I stumbled on the greatness that is Tide, I used All F&C with good success. *I did have to do the XXSanitary wash every few weeks or so when I used All.

BluestockingTart 02-07-2012 03:01 PM

I set my front loader to 'heavily soiled', and it uses more water and my diapers come out fine. Also, yes! to the 'sanitary' cycle! It gets EVERYTHING out. Just don't overuse it, it'll wear your diapers out quickly, I'm told.

mariamommy 02-07-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluestockingTart (Post 14604964)
I set my front loader to 'heavily soiled', and it uses more water and my diapers come out fine. Also, yes! to the 'sanitary' cycle! It gets EVERYTHING out. Just don't overuse it, it'll wear your diapers out quickly, I'm told.

My sanitary cycle once made a wetbag of mine completely delaminate. I haven't used it since! The cycle itself takes over 2 hrs, I thought that was kind of overkill, at least in my situation. It seems to work well for others!

joyous 02-07-2012 03:24 PM

My diapers are clean and stain free with my FL. My routine is similar to others.
-rinse & spin on cold with nothing
-whitest whites cycle. Hot with detergent and the occasional splash of bleach
-extra rinse

I use liquid Tide Free and Gentle HE. Good luck with your new machine!