Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Rash help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350487)

andrea020611 02-08-2012 05:13 PM

Rash help!

DD has a rash along the leg elastic lines of her diapers that won't go away. It's red and flat and after a while it peels. The only thing that seems to help is disposables (we used them for a week while we were on vacation and the rash cleared up).

The last week or so it's getting worse, and it seems to be bothering her, she fusses and she scratches it when I change her. The rash is not on her bum, so I don't think it's from our detergent. It looks a little better (but still not great) after she's in her wool diaper cover and a fitted overnight, and it gets worse through the day when she wears mostly BG pocket diapers. We change her at least every 2 hours.

Any ideas? DD is 12 months old, and has been wearing cloth diapers pretty much since she was born, and this rash started about a month ago. :banghead:

Buxterboo 02-08-2012 05:22 PM

Re: Rash help!

My son is having a rash too! His is bumpy and is along the "crease" where the elastic sits and also the space between his butt and boy bits. I've tried "airing" him out and now I'm trying rash creams (with a 100% cotton liner to save the dips). It's not getting any better!
I'm convinced it's the fabric but I'm hoping I'm wrong because it will be a few more weeks until I can afford to purchase a whole new diaper stash:(

andrea020611 02-09-2012 02:01 PM

Bump :)

lady longs 02-09-2012 02:27 PM

Re: Rash help!

I wonder if you could get your hands on some more fitteds and wool to try out on a more full time basis to see if that would help. We started out in FB and used them for a long time. Then, all of the sudden, my LO just couldn't wear them. Rash every time. So, we did a trial run on some very cheap fitteds and wool and it all cleared up and never came back. So, now we are a wool only family...I miss my pockets, but no more rashes ever.

My other thought (this would be cheaper and prob where you would wanna start) is to really strip your diapers well. Its possible that the detergent could be building up a little bit in those crunched up elastic casings.

Good luck. Sorry you have that....

third thought....try a little coconut oil on the area with the rash and the peeling to give some relief (i dont think this will solve it since it does get better with the disposables, its definitley related to your dipes in some way)

andrea020611 02-09-2012 02:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!! I will definitely investigate getting some more fitted diapers and a couple more wool soakers. Coconut oil is a good idea too :) I agree it must be something to do with my diapers since she clears up so fast in disposables.

Alikhlas 02-09-2012 03:33 PM

My girl has a similar problem...her poor thighs get red marks, scratches, and eventually scars but I'm not able to figure out exactly what's causing it. I left her with a pinned flat and t shirt all day yesterday to let her skin heal, and got my Nikky wool wraps today so am testing those out.

Let's hope we can both figure this out and give those thighs a break!

FluffyBum 02-09-2012 03:57 PM

Same thing happened to my DD. I mentioned it to my midwife who asked if I tried using grapefruit extract mixed with coconut oil. And if I was disinfecting my diapers.
I was confused bc I thought the special detergent that I had bought for CD would do that. She said most free rinsing detergent doesn't have it so try using borax with detergent. She asked if poop got stuck in the leg gussets and I said yes. She said bacteria can get stuck in there if not washed properly and that sunning out the stains won't work.
So I got borax (which is really cheap) and went to work at cleaning those diapers. I thought it was weird that she only got a bad rash on one side of the crease of the leg and realized well everytime she poops it happens to land on that side. Now with borax and a really good rinse of the gussets after a poop no more rash!! Plus the grapefruit seed extract with coconut oil really helped.
I hope you find one too or that this helps.

Alikhlas 02-09-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FluffyBum
Same thing happened to my DD. I mentioned it to my midwife who asked if I tried using grapefruit extract mixed with coconut oil. And if I was disinfecting my diapers.
I was confused bc I thought the special detergent that I had bought for CD would do that. She said most free rinsing detergent doesn't have it so try using borax with detergent. She asked if poop got stuck in the leg gussets and I said yes. She said bacteria can get stuck in there if not washed properly and that sunning out the stains won't work.
So I got borax (which is really cheap) and went to work at cleaning those diapers. I thought it was weird that she only got a bad rash on one side of the crease of the leg and realized well everytime she poops it happens to land on that side. Now with borax and a really good rinse of the gussets after a poop no more rash!! Plus the grapefruit seed extract with coconut oil really helped.
I hope you find one too or that this helps.

I've started bleaching every load...you think that would kill all the bacteria or should I try borax too?

FluffyBum 02-09-2012 04:19 PM

Usually bleach would be good enough. How much are you using? Maybe use a little more but make sure you rinse really well. That's why I like borax, I know it rinses out really well and don't have to worry about burns.

Alikhlas 02-09-2012 06:15 PM

I use prob a third or fourth cup in the prerinse cycle...and tide f n g and oxy cleaner in the hot wash