Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How durable are Flips? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350589)

lynn97 02-08-2012 10:41 PM

How durable are Flips?

I have been using Flip organic inserts for a while with various covers for my HW DS. I :wub: the organic inserts!! I have been pretty tepid about the covers though, until the past week or so. I had really loved the Thirsties covers but I can get a good fit with them suddenly. The Flip covers have been working great though and I'm currently loving them!

One issue I've always had with the Flips, though, is that they just don't seem very durable. Mamas that have used them for a while, are they? The elastic in particular seems like it will relax quickly. How about the organic inserts? They seem like they would last a long time - do they?

foggierbard9 02-09-2012 03:46 AM

Re: How durable are Flips?

I have had most of my Flips covers for 10 months and the elastic does relax quicker than other covers. I had to replace the elastic on 3 covers because it was so relaxed and the flats on my DD were coming out the legs.

mrstilly 02-09-2012 08:17 AM

I bought a bunch of Flip Covers on FSOT and was disappointed that the elastic was relaxed, and they leaked on my son until he reached about 14-15 pounds. They were EUC, and I realized it was just the way they work. I ended up reselling them and buying new covers, and after 6 months of regular use they are still like new.
I'm bummed that they probably won't work for our next child, since I imagine the elastic will relax quite a bit by the time DS is PL'd, but I'm not sure if I intend to keep them for #2 or not, since it will likely be at least 2-3 more years. Aside from the elastic, I do like the quality. The initially seemed flimsier than other covers, but they are trim and fit DS well.

lynn97 02-09-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrstilly
I bought a bunch of Flip Covers on FSOT and was disappointed that the elastic was relaxed, and they leaked on my son until he reached about 14-15 pounds. They were EUC, and I realized it was just the way they work.

Same thing for me! I had another cover I'd bought new as well. I could tell that the FSOT covers were nearly new too. But the elastic was just relaxed enough that we had constant leaks. I ended up setting those aside and using then over fitteds at night. I ended up w/a couple other like-new Flip covers from FSOT (package deal and I really wanted the inserts); those covers have been great.

I also anticipate needing to replace the elastic but it looks like that would be easy.

Any opinions on the Flip organic inserts? Do they stay good for years?

fluffycheeks 02-09-2012 10:22 AM

I've had some going on about 18 months (snaps), and they still function like new. The elastic hasn't noticably relaxed on mine.

mgmsrk 02-09-2012 10:30 AM

The cover it's self has held up great(in use for more than 2 years and I have about 6) BUT like others the elastic was basically shot just after a year. I'm in the process of replacing it all, PIA.

lynn97 02-09-2012 11:15 AM

Is there anyone out there who has used Flip organic inserts for several years? Do they hold up like any cotton prefold?

mgmsrk 02-09-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn97 (Post 14616433)
Is there anyone out there who has used Flip organic inserts for several years? Do they hold up like any cotton prefold?

Better because of the tighter weave they don't start to fray.

zeotwoski 02-09-2012 01:35 PM

I've had 11 Flips covers in constant use for 2 years (daily washing for the 1st year) and the elastic is perfect in all of them still. The ONLY thing is one rise snap on a couple of the ones that were not reinforced tore a little but I still don't have leaks there somehow, and all of them are reinforced nowadays so it's a non-issue for buying new. I also have one that a thigh snap pulled out. I just use it without that snap because DDs thighs warrant that lol, but it did last almost 2 years before it pulled out so I would still call that pretty durable.

In fact I need a good reason to replace them because I'm ready for a change, but the things are in great condition after this long.

Sunshine915 02-09-2012 02:28 PM

I've been using mine for almost a year and a half and my Flips still look like new. The organic inserts are also virtually indestructible. I used Thirsties with my first daughter and noticed that the PUL tended to start to fail after about a year of use, so Flips are my current fave.