Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Used cloth for first time and it leaked! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350711)

corscors 02-09-2012 09:20 AM

Used cloth for first time and it leaked!

My DS is a week old and meconium is gone. I put a cloth on him (gmd orange prefold and a gpant) and it leaked through the pf and gpant (and i guess liner). WHY?? i'm scared to try it again!

Suburbangranola 02-09-2012 09:23 AM

Re: Used cloth for first time and it leaked!

Quote:

Originally Posted by corscors (Post 14615658)
My DS is a week old and meconium is gone. I put a cloth on him (gmd orange prefold and a gpant) and it leaked through the pf and gpant (and i guess liner). WHY?? i'm scared to try it again!

Have they been prepped well?
How is the fit around his legs? My babies all had tiny chicken legs and we leaked until we found the lil joys and he grew into his FB XS..

mommyfrog 02-09-2012 09:30 AM

Yeah, sometimes it can be really hard to get a good fit with no leaks with certain diapers on certain babies. My sister bought a bunch of gPants but could never get them to not leak. She passed them on to me and I never had a problem with them.

jennayoung99 02-09-2012 09:33 AM

the only reason for leaks (please correct me if i'm wrong) is
- bad fit
- not enough absorbacy
- not preped properly
- repelling
- not changing often enough
were you using the prefold as a lay in insert? because (and correct me if i'm wrong again, as i have never used these) you can't pin or snappie a prefold under a gdiaper, it isn't water proof, only the lay in part is.

corscors 02-09-2012 09:59 AM

The pf's have been prepped and i had previously checked them to make sure they were absorbent. I am using them as a lay in insert. I had literally put the diaper on him no more than 10min before he peed. The pf absorbed some, it just seemed like the liner didn't do it's job? It didn't leak through the legs or anything- it went straight through the front, just a half dollar size spot right where his pee-pee is.

mamaspice 02-09-2012 10:25 AM

I would prep a little more. This is how my new prefolds are at first- like they are getting peed straight through. If well prepped, the fabric should grab and distribute the moisture over a large area and you won't be able to see that one spot.

Make sure the liner is holding the prefold snug to his bum. If those aren't working try a wrap style cover like a Thirsties Duo.

amiecheatham 02-09-2012 10:36 AM

hey! I see that you're in charleston! There is a local CD group on facebook you should join. You might find some local mamas to help you troubleshoot and there is a big swap on Sunday. here is the link!

momEmac 02-09-2012 10:50 AM

Yeah, sounds like the pf needs prepped more. I boiled/washed/dried mine twice and then washed on hot 3 more times before using them, and they still increased in absorbency with more washes. Try washing on hot a few more times.

Posted from my iPhone/iPad, probably while breast feeding. Please excuse mi

colin-mylilguy 02-09-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corscors (Post 14615935)
The pf's have been prepped and i had previously checked them to make sure they were absorbent. I am using them as a lay in insert. I had literally put the diaper on him no more than 10min before he peed. The pf absorbed some, it just seemed like the liner didn't do it's job? It didn't leak through the legs or anything- it went straight through the front, just a half dollar size spot right where his pee-pee is.

The way you described the "leak" was that it was a wet spot, right in the center on the outside of the g-pant, as if the pee went straight through the prefold, the nylon liner and the g-pant. Am I understanding correctly? :headscratch: That doesn't really make sense and I've never had that happen with g-diapers. Hmmm.... were they bought used? Could something have dripped on him, like some milk from a bottle or some spit up after he ate? I'm seriously dumb-founded. :headscratch: That is really odd.

I would definitely try again and use a different g-diaper. GL!

corscors 02-09-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy (Post 14617344)
The way you described the "leak" was that it was a wet spot, right in the center on the outside of the g-pant, as if the pee went straight through the prefold, the nylon liner and the g-pant. Am I understanding correctly? :headscratch: That doesn't really make sense and I've never had that happen with g-diapers. Hmmm.... were they bought used? Could something have dripped on him, like some milk from a bottle or some spit up after he ate? I'm seriously dumb-founded. :headscratch: That is really odd.

I would definitely try again and use a different g-diaper. GL!

YES, that's exactly right! Nothing was dripped- we were doing his newborn photos and he was only in his diaper. I'm confused also...it wasn't wet anywhere else and i checked the liner after to make sure it didn't leak. Maybe i just put it all together too quickly?