Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Vegan and Vegetarian mamas enter here... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1351307)

mama2jack 02-10-2012 11:37 AM

Vegan and Vegetarian mamas enter here...

Just wanted to add, my support group comment stemmed from someone posting this pic in OT. Not to make fun of any other threads. Just realized there was a paleo support group and thought I should clarify.

Don't worry, this is by no means some kind of "wimpy support group." I just thought we could share recipes and experiences. Wait that is kind of support groupish, lol. Here we go then:

Hi my name is Jessica and I am a vegetarian currently on a 21 day vegan trial. In my house it is me, hubby and 2 boys ages 2 and 5. My family is welcome to eat meat (no dairy for ds1 though, i think he has a sensitivity) but they rarely choose to. We do have a meat free home. Sometimes if we are eating out or at someone's house the boys will eat something but we do our best to model the choices we want them to make. DH has talked about making it official that he is a vegetarian but I am not sure if he's ready to proclaim it. He eats that way about 95% of the time. (cause that is how I cook lol)

So my first question is: If you feed your kids a veg or vegan diet, how strict are you and do you tell everyone? Since I am not super strict I don't tell people often since I get alot of flack from people for my own choices and I just don't want to hear it about my kids.

ETA: I forgot a recipe. I made these yesterday and they are soooooo yummy. My 2 year old ate them up. They taste like a cross between carrot cake batter and pumpkin pie.

JellEBeanDesigns 02-10-2012 01:08 PM

I'm Samantha and I'm a vegetarian, we are not meat free household :)

Janine 02-10-2012 01:46 PM

Re: Vegan and Vegetarian mamas enter here...

I've been vegetarian since I was a pre-schooler, and vegan for about 7 years now. My husband is also vegan and our children are raised vegan. We are a meat/diary/egg/animal product-free household. Everyone who knows us knows we are vegan and it has never been an issue. My MIL lives nearby and is forever baking/making vegan dishes to bring by, which I of course greatly appreciate. :) Our families are very supportive.

rhettsgirl05 02-10-2012 02:18 PM

Hi Jessica! My name is Lisa. I have one son, who is 5.5 and is the pickiest child EVER! We (DH and I) are mostly vegan now. We stopped eating dairy (with a few cheats thrown in here and there) after the new year and have decided to stick with it based on how much better we feel! DS eats turkey slices which I will buy for him since the food list he will actually eat is pretty short. He's also free to eat real cheese though while we were recently visiting family he ate a ton and woke up at 4am crying with a stomach ache so from now on it will be in very small amounts. DH and I eat vegan at home and mostly out (me more so than him) though I will cheat for good seafood or cheese here and there. I don't really make a big deal out of it in front of other people though being in Northern CA makes it not such an extreme choice. ;)

As far as recipes. I really like fatfreevegan.com. I make a batch of these muffins weekly and everyone including Picky Pete loves them.
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/03...e-muffins.html

I also recently borrowed this book from the library and liked everything I made so much I had to purchase my own copy.
http://www.amazon.com/Get-Healthy-Ve...8908530&sr=8-1

:)

Beccadssmomma 02-10-2012 02:53 PM

Hi! I'm Rebecca and I've been a vegetarian since I was 14. I met my DH in college and "turned" him into the supportive vegetarian he is today. We are raising our DS vegetarian and are expecting another child in a week or less (hopefully!).
We have never experimented w/ being vegan and do occasionally eat fish (I know!). I started eating fish w/ this pregnancy because there were some iron and protein concerns and as I'm NOT the best at eating beans/legumes I decided to occasionally eat fish. I plan to stop once baby is born.
My family has slowly become supportive, which considering I've been vegetarian for 16 years, is some progress I suppose. They are all pretty consistent meat-eaters although my brother and his family have started doing meat-less mondays!!
My DH's family is very supportive as they are a bunch of liberal tree-hugging peace-corp hippies (and that is said very lovingly! I promise! especially considering we are the same, just minus the peace-corp thing)
I really feel alone at times, that we are the only vegetarians in this town, even though I know we're not. But it would be very nice to have some like-minded people to talk to.
I am a regular subscriber to vegetarian times and about two weeks ago I made this! and it was very good!
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/7544

3rockstars 02-11-2012 08:13 AM

Dude, you are my hero! Those carrot cake bites look AMAZING!

Backstory: I've been vegetarian for 14years. I've been eating mostly vegan for the last few months with the occasional yogurt, cheese, and honey. Problem is, I've gotten reliant on carbs lately and put on nearly 10lbs and I'm trying to drop them right now in prep for half-marathon training. My kids are omni and I do not cook them red meat. I do however provide them with organic chicken(1 whole chicken int he crockpot once a month is the least I can do right?) and they eat all kinds of meat at their dad's house. The kids all started veggie until around age 2 and then they all tried meat and enjoyed it so I decided that I won't make that dietary decision for them. If they choose to eat meat, that's their choice. But I'm certainly not going to. I was pretty strict about no meat until age 2 only because I felt like if they were eating meat that it should be a healthy addition to their diets when they can chew small pieces of it safely and not pureed nasty meats.

So with that said, in the spirit of veggie sharing, here's a fave recipe of mine(since I'm getting off my keister to make those carrot cake bites in a second):
http://happyfoody.blogspot.com/2006/...d-lentils.html

And my favorite veggie burger that I make half-sized to go along with a massive salad so I can cut the carb intake:
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/07/13/our...veggie-burger/

3rockstars 02-11-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janine (Post 14623348)
I've been vegetarian since I was a pre-schooler, and vegan for about 7 years now. My husband is also vegan and our children are raised vegan. We are a meat/diary/egg/animal product-free household. Everyone who knows us knows we are vegan and it has never been an issue. My MIL lives nearby and is forever baking/making vegan dishes to bring by, which I of course greatly appreciate. :) Our families are very supportive.

you are a vegan rockstar. really. Any dinner recipes you highly recommend?

Janine 02-11-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rockstars

you are a vegan rockstar. really. Any dinner recipes you highly recommend?

:blush: You are too kind. I really love the orange-sesame tofu and coconut basmati rice recipes from the Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan cookbook. You can find the recipes online if you google it. But really, I eat pretty average stuff. I was raised in a family of meat-eaters and since I was the only vegetarian, my mom just made smaller, meat-free portions for me. And there was no tofu or veggie burgers in the grocery store when I was a kid. So I've always pretty much ate veg*n versions of average, everyday food. So burritos without meat or cheese, pasta with vegetarian sauce, stir fry without meat, vegan Indian food, falafel, that kind of thing. I do really like black bean and sweet potato burritos with seitan, avocado, rice, and corn. Probably one of my favorite comfort foods. And a lot of my meals (probably a result of being the only vegetarian in my house as a child) are made up of many "side-dishes". I also love just simple veggie bakes, like potatoes, sweet potato, butternut squash, carrots, onion, garlic, etc. roasted together in the oven with olive oil. My husband is a chef, so he gets much more creative than me, but really the food I make is pretty similar to what everyone else eats, just vegan. I'm adventurous with the types of veggies I eat, but not too adventurous with flavors, if that makes sense. Some things I've loved that DH makes: apple curry rice, twice-baked potatoes, last night he made a almond butter and cranberry pasta sauce with steamed broccoli thrown in. Delicious. He kind of just wings it most nights.

3rockstars 02-11-2012 05:02 PM

2 of my kids wolfed down the carrot cake bites this evening with rave reviews. The 1 who didn't is sick with a fever so we'll give her a pass this time. But I really want her to try them maybe tomorrow because she's a SUPER picky eater who HATES anything green or vegetable-related. I want to see if they pass her test.

mama2jack 02-11-2012 05:16 PM

Great links mamas! My favorites bar is full of recipes to try now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rockstars (Post 14629127)
2 of my kids wolfed down the carrot cake bites this evening with rave reviews. The 1 who didn't is sick with a fever so we'll give her a pass this time. But I really want her to try them maybe tomorrow because she's a SUPER picky eater who HATES anything green or vegetable-related. I want to see if they pass her test.

Oh my gosh they are sooo yummy. Anyone who likes to nibble on batter or enjoys pumpkin pie will like the. I just made a dbl batch because the ones I made on thurs were gone in less than 24hrs. I was being lazy and just scooped some of the puree in bowls for my boys and they both had 2nds.