Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Anyone know about testing for dyslexia? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1351687)

mommyfrog 02-11-2012 08:59 AM

Anyone know about testing for dyslexia?

A while back I post on here that my ds was being tested by the school. They tested him, but apparently I missed the fact that they don't actually test for dyslexia and won't say whether they think he has it or not. The testing came back that he has a Specific Learning Disability and needs specially designed instruction in reading and written language. Almost everything the test results say point to dyslexia, except for maybe phonics. He is really good at sounding nonsense words out I guess, but I know they don't have to have every symptom to have dyslexia. We did an IEP and he will be getting more extra help in reading (he was already in LAP reading) and now extra help in writing too. Plus special accommadations like a reader for state testing (except the reading part of course), shortened homework assignments, extra reminders, visual learning aids, spell check....there were tons more, but they are mailing me the papers after all the teachers sign them. Everything he is getting sounds like stuff that would help him if he is indeed dyslexic so that's all good. BUT.....I still feel like I need to know for sure. So how do I go about getting him tested specifically for dyslexia?

mibarra 02-11-2012 09:33 AM

Get a private evaluation. Since it is technically a 'diagnosis' the school can't give it to him any more than they can say he has ADHD. They can only go on 'eligibilities', like Specific Learning Disability. Almost every reading program used in special ed was originally designed for dyslexic kids, then they discovered it worked for learning disability too. Your pediatrician may be able to recommend somewhere to get tested.

ssand23 02-11-2012 03:31 PM

I would have your pedi dr review the current test results & see if they can tell you more about dyslexia and if they think that is what he has.

If he's already receiving services (and it sounds like they really have covered their bases with him, which is great!), I guess I'm not understanding putting him through further testing? I had 1 child tested with in the school & 1 tested privately & it showed the same information & type of diagnosis.

I do understand what you're saying though. My oldest has all the symptoms of dyslexia (among other things) & her diagnosis is Specific Learning Disability. I don't know 100% if she has dyslexia but not knowing specifically hasn't caused any problems (she is 18 & has been receiving services since elementary school) when it's come to the help she has received. Anyone who she's received services from has reviewed her testing & that was all the information they needed. A specific label or lack of didn't make a difference one way or another. :)

Jen's_4 02-11-2012 07:20 PM

Re: Anyone know about testing for dyslexia?

Really glad I found this... DS is showing lots of signs of dsylexia and I was just wondering what to do. We homeschool, and I was thinking of taking him to school for evaluation, but it said online that they don't test for dyslexia, they only have to test to see if they qualify for special ed. It also said that Dr. will usually refer you to school, since it's education issue, and not medical. It recommended getting some private evaluation with some one who's speciality is dyslexia. Don't know how easy that would be to do, (we live way in the boonies) or if you have to have a recommendation by the Dr. or school or anything. Not certain what we'll do.... So I'm basically in your boat. Advice wanted. I am also very much with you in that I feel the need to know exactly what's going on and not some blanket statement. Good luck to you and yours!

ssand23 02-12-2012 08:30 AM

When we had the private testing, I just called a children's hospital in the area (check their websites, it will say if they do learning evaluations or you can call their psychology dept and ask, usually bigger children's hospitals offer this) & asked if they did learning evaluations. That is the testing for learning disabilities.
The downside is that it is not covered by insurance, any insurance but the hospital here had a deal where if you pay all at once, they take 50% off. I did pay it all at once & it cost me $325.
They did all the same tests that the school district did. I have 2 children with learning disabilities. One tested by the school & my youngest dd was tested outside the school. I had my youngest dd tested outside of the school since they were being morons (common with special education issues) and issues with my ex. It was easier for me to just pay the $325 that get into a legal battle with my ex that would have cost a lot more & taken too long.

mommyfrog 02-12-2012 08:38 AM

Re: Anyone know about testing for dyslexia?

Thanks for the opinions. I think I will bring it up to his ped and see what she thinks. I know he's going to be getting all the help he needs now. He didn't seem to be bothered by the testing at all. They said he was happy and cooperative the whole time, never got irritated, never wanted to quit, didn't want extra breaks they offered. When I asked him at home if anyone had done any extra tests or anything at school, he said he didn't think so. So obviously they didn't stress him out!! I'll have to think about it more.

Mamata3 02-13-2012 03:57 AM

I myself have dyslexia, i guess there are more then one type of dyslexia that's what I was told. Mine only has to do with reading and spelling. But some can actually cause other learning disabilities. I guess I cannot help you to much with your questions, but I did want to let you know that dyslexia and IQ are not connected so you LO can still be super smart and still have it. I always got great test scores (having help reading the test of course) but my reading is kind of slow (a lot better then when I was younger) and my spelling sucks. Thank goodness for the iPad lol. I think that most places won't evaluate for dyslexia or call it that because it is so broad of a term.