Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Harassment at school (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1351852)

ssand23 02-11-2012 03:49 PM

Harassment at school

My dd is 9 and her teacher has been harassing her at school. She has a 504 for generalized anxiety & PTSD (from an accident) and also has a learning disability. She is allowed to bring a note if she can't finish all of her homework. It's is her 504 & her teacher swears it's fine if she brings a note but then says things like she's being lazy, irresponsible or acting like a 3rd grader (she's in 4th grade so that's an insult).

I have contacted her principal who said to talk with the teacher to see if we can compromise. Wtf? She has a 504, there is no compromise, just shut your mouth & follow what it says. Legally, I can't even "compromise" I have to follow it, too.

Twice now when I spoke to this teacher (this is her math & science teacher & her reading & history teacher was present both of these times), he asked if she didn't have an anxiety disorder but was just manipulating me to get out of homework!

I called the principal earlier this week, it was then that compromise was suggested & the teacher called that day saying about manipulation but that notes were no problem. My dd came home that day saying he said she was irresponsible & acting like a 3rd grader.

Other parents have big issues with this teacher, too & not just children with special Ed services. He just does what he wants no matter what the parents or principal says to him. NJ has this big anti-bullying initiative but the teacher is the bully!

I left a message with the state dept of education's special Ed dept. I've been talking with a close family member with a doctorate in special Ed & trying to decide my next move. I plan to take this as far as it needs to go. I just don't feel that the school can handle him anymore & he needs bigger consequences for his actions. Ugh!

britsuz90 02-11-2012 05:32 PM

Re: Harassment at school

Why do you have a 504 plan and not an IEP for her? An IEP gives you more protections than a 504 plan.

However, since they are not following through with the 504 plan, then take the legal action needed instead of just talking to the principle about it.

mekat 02-11-2012 07:29 PM

I don't have any advice. I am dealing with a more minor issue. My son's bus driver is loudly saying "What is wrong with you?" My son in nonverbal and scared of high level on noises. When I saw the bus driver saying this and my son hanging his head and refusing to look any one in the eye. I knew immediately he was not taking it as a joke but as if something was really wrong with him. Fortunately in our situation I know the bus driver is just using good ole boy teasing and meant no real harm. I think just telling him my son's perceptions of his teasing and how my son doesn't understand kidding and is very literal will probably solve our problem.

In your case the teacher knows exactly what she is doing and trying to shame your daughter into falling in line with the rest of the class. IMO that is way worse and you are going to have to really fight to get this addressed. Wright's law website has a list of resources even for those with 504's. I would read through it and find out what your next legal move is to address this. Here is the link.

ssand23 02-11-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by britsuz90
Why do you have a 504 plan and not an IEP for her? An IEP gives you more protections than a 504 plan.

However, since they are not following through with the 504 plan, then take the legal action needed instead of just talking to the principle about it.

Originally we only had the anxiety diagnosis & difficulty with the school she was in last year & my ex. I took what I could get with the 504 but I am going to demand an IEP for next year.

I feel she needs more services (the school has gradually been moving her into more & more programs over the course of last year & this year & on top of all that, I feel she needs in class support for next year) and we need more protection that the IEP would give us.

Thank you for the link. I have been reading there & need to look up some more specifics as pertains to a 504 & violations with that. I'm sorry you have had to deal with issues with the school bus.

jamieism 02-11-2012 08:06 PM

I would go talk to the principal and express your concerns in person, and then I would ask respectfully but firmly that my child be transferred to a different class. This is unacceptable. You can let the principal know that you will follow through with legal action if you need to, but I would get your dd out of that man's class ASAP! If he is that kind of jerk, he will take it out on her if he gets reprimanded for it. Just get her out of there.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

TyAndCheyMommy 02-11-2012 08:13 PM

Now- we don't have 504 plans- but IEPs.
We have been fighting our school district on a lot of things- so I am going to base this off of what we have learned.
Your first step was to contact the teacher, and the principle. If those did not work- you need to call a meeting off all involved in her 504 plan.
At that time I would request an IEP. I wouldn't wait. They can draw up an IEP at any time.
The teacher HAS to be present for the meeting, and you address the concern there.
That way there are lots of witnesses.
If you are able to- get an advocate at the meeting. Even if they don't end up having to say anything- their presence there helps the school to see you are not screwing around.

If after the meeting things are not different. Contact your advocate again, and the state department of education to file a formal complaint.

Only after these steps are all taken (and failed) can you file formal legal charges. Typically it never comes to this.
If you prefer to hire a lawyer instead of have an advocate then you can, and they know the case if you end up taking legal action. Though, you will have to pay for the lawyer.

It makes me so sad to hear about all these issues special needs kids have with their schools. Why is it so hard for them (the schools) to actually do what is best for the child?

mibarra 02-11-2012 09:04 PM

The teacher is out of line. I would meet in person with the principal to firmly and calmly express your concerns, and if you don't feel they are adequately address demand a 504 meeting with an advocate present, then go from there.

In my state you can't just draw up an IEP whenever, even if they have a 504. There must be testing to meet state requirements that demonstrates they qualify under an eligibility. There also must be documented interventions in general ed with limited progress to demonstrate a need for service. Despite any challenges or medical diagnoses, a student here does not qualify for special ed under an IEP unless there is a need for specialized instruction, rather than just modifications and accommodations to the general ed curriculum. I find generally that it matters less if you have an IEP or a 504 than if you have a good teacher and a supportive principal, frankly, which it sounds like you are lacking.

Good luck mama!!

ssand23 02-12-2012 07:59 AM

This isn't our first issue with him & hasn't been our first contact with the school, 504 team & principal. She's been moved to basic skills for reading & math, has a tutor during the school day instead of world language & the district pays for a tutor after school/on weekends twice a week. Many of these accommodations have just started this year. That's why I'm thinking IEP since she needs extra help & could also benefit from document in place with more weight behind it. They've also had her basic skills teacher coming into the class to help her kind of off the record, she doesn't have in class support but needs it. Even the jerk teacher said that she benefits when the extra teacher is in the room. I want to ask to have in class support set up officially for next year.

What I keep seeing is that no matter who contacts him from the district, 504 team, principal, etc, he says sure send in a note, I have no problem with that. But then talks trash to her when she brings a note. He's been there for 30+ years & has the attitude of "I'll do what ever I want, good luck trying to do anything about it". I have a close friend who used to teach in the district & had a big dispute with him as well. He feels he is above getting in trouble so he can say what he wants. Another parent said he's so bad if they didn't have to work full time, they'd home school their child for the year.

My hesitance to just switch classes is that it would be extremely upsetting to her. I'd rather either get him out of there or put another teacher in to monitor his behavior. It's a partner teaching program where another teacher is her homeroom teacher (who we both love) & she has this guy for just math & science. But is out of the room for 1/2 of the math time for the basic skills. Though it's a big district with 8 4th grade classes so there are other teachers. She's just so fragile. I'm feeling like he needs a full time monitor (if not firing). Or to give her in class support now so she can deal with the in class support teacher & not him.

Noah's-Mom 02-13-2012 03:42 PM

I am fighting with my kids school for 2.5y now. Please call Disability Rights of -Whatever your state.- They have been a great help.