Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What Excalibur dehydrator do you have? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1351853)

vjbakke 02-11-2012 03:53 PM

What Excalibur dehydrator do you have?

I want to invest in one with our tax return money. Witch one would you recommend?

We have a Nesco one right now and I am not pleased with how it preforms so I want to get a nice one.
We want to get into food saving and storage.

Shalom 02-11-2012 09:45 PM

Re: What Excalibur dehydrator do you have?

Are you asking how many trays we have in our excalibur? We have a 4 tray and a 9 tray super old school excalibur (with a design they no longer make). I got them each for a steal off of CL. Excaliburs are built to last and they are pretty sound machines. I wouldn't go with a round dehydrator, as most of the dehydrators that are round use a bulb to heat the inside, or their overall air supply/function just doesn't work very well. You also need to see where the heating element/fan is located. If it's on the bottom of the machine, chances are it might corrode or be very hard to clean when juices fall on the bottom. Plus, with a bottom element, you have to keep switching out the trays for more even dehydrating. I've never had to switch out my trays with the excalibur. My friend also has a 9-tray excalibur and uses it all the time. She burnt out 3 or 4 different dehydrators before she got the excalibur. They are very nice and easy to use and clean.

Shalom 02-11-2012 09:48 PM

Also, don't spring for the most expensive one with the timer. You really don't need the timer and if you are anal about times, you can plug it into one of those chirstmas light timers and set it so it turns off when you want it to, and it ends up being cheaper to get the external timed plug-in, than the built-in one (plus, you really, really don't need it....it's not like stuff is going to burn or get "over dried" dry is dry :-)

vjbakke 02-12-2012 09:13 AM

Thanks, I don't think we need the 9 tray one. We have a round one ( nesco) and it's junk. We want to be a part of a CSA this year and I think it would be a good addition. Do you get free shipping from their website. I saw some on e bay from a registered dealer. Thanks

Shalom 02-12-2012 01:50 PM

I know they are having a sale on their website, but I haven't looked into shipping charges because we got both of ours used.

kellfran 02-12-2012 03:12 PM

We have the 9 tray--didnt think I would use it vs. the smaller one--but I had a ton of apples and did 9 trays of apple chips just the other day, so am glad I had the extra room. Because stuff takes awhile--so its good to do a bunch at once, kwim??
Totally agree about the timer, its not really necessary--kind of like with a slow cooker. lol
They had refurbished ones on their website when I bought ours, but not free shipping, so I went ahead and bought it from Amazon. Try CL too.

ETA: the price diff on amazon btw the 5 and 9 tray isnt too much.

Shalom 02-12-2012 03:22 PM

Yes, that's why I like my 9 tray. We did almost 20 pounds of apples in both my 9 tray and the 4 tray. The 9 tray is very handy when you buy in bulk. THe little 4 tray excalibur I got for $25 (craigslist) just didn't cut it, so that's why we have the 9 tray (but still use the 4 tray, too!). (the 9 tray we got for much less than half the price on CL, too).

vjbakke 02-12-2012 06:39 PM

I saw the referb one on thier website but wish it had free shipping like the others. I see they are adding a lot of extras with orders until Feb 29.

Suburbangranola 02-15-2012 07:35 PM

I have the 9 tray without the timer(I was too cheap)
We had the round kind before and things just took forever.
The smaller one would never work for me because I like to do different things at once.
I wish I had bought the one with the timer though!!

vjbakke 02-16-2012 03:25 PM

We are leaning towards getting the 5 tray without the timer. We're using some of our tax return on it. Right now they have free shipping and some extras with them. We are also getting buying a membership for a organic summer CSA and we also buy a lot from Azure so I know I will be using it a lot. I can't wait.

thanks!