Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Grr to: "I'm not a mom of multiples BUT..." (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352142)

twinpossible 02-12-2012 10:50 AM

Grr to: "I'm not a mom of multiples BUT..."

That really gets to me :yuck: Having a 4 year old and a 3 year old is NOT like having twins / multiples! Twins are more then twice the work because you never get a break.

Anyone have a funny quote or story from "I'm not a mom of multiples BUT..."?

StephanieMB 02-12-2012 11:14 AM

Re: Grr to: "I'm not a mom of multiples BUT..."

As a foster parent who sometimes has 2 or more babies at the same time... I know the truth now. LOL I used to think 2 babies/kids nearly the same age would be like having twins.

Since I've had true twin foster babies and then had 2 babies who were different ages (6mo apart), I can vouch for the fact that it really is different. Twins "feed" off each other. When one cried, the other one cried. When one was hungry, the other one was hungry. If both were sleeping and one woke up, she woke up her twin. Often they were both sick at the same time too.

Then I had the other two babies who were 6 months apart. It was actually a little easier, although, probably would've seemed harder if I hadn't had the twins first! Since they were in different developmental stages, one could be eating in the highchair while the other one was snoozing in the swing. One could crawl around and entertain herself, while the other one slept more. It had its difficult moments, but was easier than twins. :-)

twinpossible 02-12-2012 11:19 AM

AMEN! Thank you for the insight :) I have done both too and I can safely say that everything you just said is so so true. The hard part is the twins feeding off each other...never a dull moment in our home!

my2sweets 02-12-2012 11:28 AM

:giggle:

I worked in a daycare for a bit over a yr before dd1. I was in the infant room and some times on my own with 4 kids under 12mos old. Most of the time it fell just right and we would have at least 2 that were the same age and more often then not we'd have 2 sets that were the same age(like 2 3mos olds and 2 7mos olds). Lets just say I was glad I only had them for 6-8hrs a day lol

I'm not a mom of multiples but I'd get seriously irratated when I'd vent when the girls were infants and ppl would be all 'yeah, I have a puppy so I know what you mean!' Um no. No you do not. lol

twinpossible 02-12-2012 12:26 PM

Haha! A puppy! Seriously, what are people thinking?

kcprochazka 02-12-2012 12:49 PM

Hahaha! Yeah, we've heard that a lot. Twins are definitely NOT the same as having children that were born separately. Did you see the news article the other day about "twins born 5 years apart"? They went on to say that the babies were IVF and because they were in the same grouping of retrieved eggs that they were twins. Umm... no. If they didn't share a womb and were not born at the same time then they are NOT twins. (Yes, I know a few cases of twins born a few days apart, obviously not the same thing.) If you didn't have 2 babies screaming needing the exact same thing at the same time then it is not the same experience. :)

That puppy remark made me giggle too! Seriously people!

Brooke789 02-12-2012 06:15 PM

Ever since I got pregnant my mom has said "You know...I basically had twins". My sister and I were 13 months apart. No, she did not and has absolutely no idea. Drives me crazy!

twinpossible 02-12-2012 06:36 PM

Oh ya, that's a good one!

omahonycm 02-12-2012 07:14 PM

I'm not a mom of multiples, but...

He he. Actually, I spent the first 2 months of my baby's life saying, "I'm so glad she's not twins." Not that twins aren't a blessing - but it was hard with just one! Kudos to you moms with twins!

I think that it's not the same thing as twins, but moms with 2 babies under a year have it the next hardest. I have a friend and at 19 (married) she had a 11 mo old and a newborn and it was hard. I'm grateful mine will be 2 years apart!

You all rock!

twinpossible 02-12-2012 07:48 PM

:)