Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   my baby is sick - rash, fever, and cranky (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13527)

MamaJo 06-11-2006 07:15 PM

my baby is sick - rash, fever, and cranky

I don't trust the cheapo thermometers I have here at the house, so we got one while we were out today - a temporal scanner. I've never used one, but it says its comparable to a rectal temp. I consistently got 105...when I used my right hand anyway, I tried with my left and I'm pretty sure I messed it up because I got all kinds of numbers.

He's also got a rash - little red dots (couldn't tell if they were rasied or not). It was on his feet and face the most, but a few dots here and there all over his body. Does this sound like anything in particular?

His cousin (that I babysit) had a similar rash last week, but no fever. Her rash was darker and all over though....mostly on her face. Her doc said "its viral" (her doc is a quack IMO...for other reasons than this).

SandyG 06-11-2006 07:57 PM

Re: my baby is sick - rash, fever, and cranky

oh jo :hugs: sorry ihave no clue but wanted to give you :hugs: anyways
:hugs:

CMamma 06-11-2006 08:08 PM

If you're getting a 105 temp, I would go see the Ped or ER. That's a really high temp IMO.

I do overreact & take my boys to be checked out at the drop of a hat though LOL We have had a couple bad scares the two times I didn't go in (ended up in hospitalization & serious problems) so now I go for anything. Let them think I'm nuts - they still get paid!

Mount*n*sunshine 06-11-2006 08:21 PM

that is a high fever. My ped advised that a fever is dangerous when baby is lethargic or you give tylenol and it doesn't go down. Good luck! keep us posted.:hugs:

Shannon 06-11-2006 08:58 PM

Wow, thats a high fever....have you done all the fever reducing remedies and it's still that high?

I would say it was probebly just an allergic reaction if his cousin hadn't had the same rash just before. How did cousin heal? Was it just a day or two? For me, I'd at least call the ped's office and run them down with what he was doing...at least for some medical advice even if you don't want to acually take him in. They may give you some idea's of what it is. Sometimes certain bugs are running around the community and they can ease your fears. ((HUGS))

MamaJo 06-11-2006 09:29 PM

High fevers don't really worry me - they're the most beneficial part of an illness. So I usually let them work their magic. I usually only give motrin when its about 101.5 - 102 under the arm...which is about 103.5 to 104 rectally. I also help bring the fever down if he's feeling really uncomfortable. He definately wasn't lethargic today, quite active I'd say ;)

What does concern me is why he has a fever.....I bet this is the same thing my niece had and that its just showing up differently in him. I may give the family doc (we don't use a ped) a call tomorrow just to see if anything is going around.

At any rate, I felt his forehead a few minutes ago - the motrin I gave him before bed broke the fever. Or at least brought it down....his forehead is definately cooler. I didn't want to risk waking him with the beeping thermometer.:goodvibes:

MamaJo 06-11-2006 09:31 PM

Hmm, just thinking....maybe the rash was a heat rash? I'm not sure I've ever seen a heat rash lol Or at least recognized it as one when I saw it ;)

Where does a heat rash show up? All over? My nieces ped said ONLY from the nipples up...which sounded quite odd to me :headscratch:

Lucky Child 06-11-2006 09:41 PM

Hi (go on ym I pmd ya).
Anyway, it sounds like a heat rash. BAley has gotten them with fevers and stuff and it's on her arms and body and also it's below her chest so I don't know about what your doc said...
Sounds like he's getting better and the fever is probably working its way through his body :)
Roseola maybe? But I think the rash presents after the fever breaks so I don't know about that.

SandyG 06-12-2006 07:21 PM

jo is he feeling bettter today btw??
fever broke??

MamaJo 06-12-2006 07:50 PM

He's still just as active, not nearly as cranky....and he's been running a fever of about 103, so yeah, he'd doing better :goodvibes:

The rash has spread though - its pretty prominent all over his body.