Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Infant Dairy Allergy/Sensitivity (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352903)

foxygoober 02-13-2012 07:34 PM

Infant Dairy Allergy/Sensitivity

I feel like crying. Why does it have to take so long to get dairy out of our bodies?

I thought I was on day 4 of a dairy free diet, but then found out that McDonald's FRIES have dairy in them :banghead: Lesson learned - eat at home and get ingredient lists before going out.

I'm struggling with guilt that we didn't figure out she has an allergy sooner. Professionals had me convinced it was a milk imbalance. Then her symptoms became worse-tons of frothy green poo with blood and eczema. I'm tired of seeing her suffer and feel like getting formula so she'll feel better sooner. Plus, I have to go back to work Monday and now have to get rid of my freezer stash. I can't even start a new stash for awhile.
I've nursed all my kids past a year, but I just want her to stop suffering. What if I screw up and eat the wrong thing? The list of milk ingredients is huge!
Will supplementing during the day help? I could pump and dump. Or would she be screwed up even more? Will it really take two weeks for her to improve if I keep breastfeeding and stay away from all dairy ingredients?

MamaJax2010 02-13-2012 08:35 PM

My son was also diagnosed....by me...as dairy sensitive. It really isn't that hard as long as you relax and just take it one DH at a time. NEVER eat ANYTHING cooked by someone else unless you know for sure what is in it and how it was cooked. Always get allergen menus when you eat out. You can cook about anything you normally would, just with safe alternatives. I love almond milk as it also boosts your supply. Fleichmans unsalted sticks in place of butter. Also, the same protein your LO is sensitive to in dairy is found in beef as well. Be on the look out for caramel coloring and casein.

You can keep breastfeeding. Its already in your babies system so no amount of pump and dump will work. Just keep nursing. My DS generally is fussy and has tummy issues for 5-7 days after I eat dairy...all is fine after. Generally if they are allergic to dairy you may need to be careful with soy as well. Breastfeeding is still best! You just have to be diligent about what you eat. Its hard at first, but you will soon find its not too bad. We have been doing this for almost a year already. It can be done!! Feel free to PM me if you need any help or advice...or just a shoulder to cry on when Dh wants pizza ;)

223Huntress 02-13-2012 08:48 PM

I was just going to start a thread asking what a dairy intolerance has looked like for those who have been through it. I'm wondering if my girl has it also. We've already determined she is grain intolerant, so eliminating that has been a huge lifestyle change. Like the pp said, diligence pays off and just keep nursing. I cried when I had to throw away my freezer stash and I haven't been able to put up more than 4 oz at a time since then, so there is only ever one feeding in there. I just don't get much with pumping. Anyhow just know you aren't alone. It's hard, but it's worth it. I just keep telling myself, this too will pass.

emmiwho 02-13-2012 09:30 PM

Re: Infant Dairy Allergy/Sensitivity

The advice I would give...is don't just toss your freezer stash. Label it as dairy...and hang on to it. We thought...for quite awhile...that we had dairy issues. Went back and forth with the pediatrician on it (we had bloody diapers)...and in the end...we didn't figure out what it was...but it wasn't dairy. I'd have been devastated if I'd dumped the freezer stash....

MamaJax2010 02-14-2012 06:04 AM

I kept mine as well. Perhaps they will grow out it...you never know. I've heard conflicting things. I threaten my oldest with it when he is sick. Just do as the pp suggested and label it dairy. I was actually told it passes through our system fairly quickly. It's the wee ones who have a hard time getting rid of it.

maple79vt 02-14-2012 06:12 AM

You can still have pizza! :thumbsup: I made one last night that I almost took a picture of because it looked so good. Okay, so it's not like eating one coated with cheese but it is still good. I have many friends who like it my way once they try it. Just give it time and relax, you'll get their. It's a difficult change to make. I've been the go-to person for a long time for helping people through milk allergies since I am ana-to milk and the one thing they all get excited about is this. My dh went on my diet and lost 30 lbs without doing anything!

foxygoober 02-14-2012 09:02 AM

Thanks ladies!
Is it normal for their symptoms to get worse before getting better? She has a slightly stuffy nose, but I'm not sure if it's from this. She wasn't really arching her back and crying in pain until yesterday.

MamaJax2010 02-14-2012 09:51 AM

Sometimes...depends. We never have the stuffy nose, but its common with dairy issues. We battle the tummy issues, funny poop, eczema.

BESMama 02-14-2012 01:20 PM

It can get worse before it gets better...but it will get better. Just keep your eyes on what you are eating. Eat home or pack food as much as possible in the early days. You will slowly learn what to avoid. My DS#2 just turned one and while his allergy isn't gone, his tolerance has improved enough that a little dairy every now and then doesn't have the same effect it did in the early days.

tibeca 02-14-2012 02:28 PM

an antihistamine is an option. We use zyrtec when the screaming and projectile vomiting gets out of control.