Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   How many times a day do you run the dishwasher/wash dishes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353187)

ulawolf 02-14-2012 01:07 PM

How many times a day do you run the dishwasher/wash dishes?

So we are a family of 6 and one on the way. I don't use paper products very often (more because i hate the cost and the trash) but i feel like we do dishes at least twice a day and sometimes 3 one the days i bake our weekly bread supply.

I do wash a lot of my baking dishes by hand but i hate dishes so we use the dishwasher more often than not.

so how often do you do run the dishwasher or wash the dishes?

kristinc 02-14-2012 01:11 PM

Re: How many times a day do you run the dishwasher/wash dishes?

I am a stickler about this...and I don't run it more than once a day. I don't put anything plastic or with plastic parts (sippies, to go coffee cups, etc) in the dishwasher...that kind of stuff I hand wash. We are also a family of 6 and we don't use any throw away paper eatery. What doesn't get put in the dishwasher I wash in the evening before the kids go to bed. That is prob about 2-3 loads washed by hand. I don't mind the hand washing though.

ulawolf 02-14-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristinc (Post 14644825)
I am a stickler about this...and I don't run it more than once a day. I don't put anything plastic or with plastic parts (sippies, to go coffee cups, etc) in the dishwasher...that kind of stuff I hand wash. We are also a family of 6 and we don't use any throw away paper eatery. What doesn't get put in the dishwasher I wash in the evening before the kids go to bed. That is prob about 2-3 loads washed by hand. I don't mind the hand washing though.

yeah. we don't use very much plastic either. I could wash more by hand i guess but i REALLY hate washing by hand

kristinc 02-14-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulawolf (Post 14644899)
yeah. we don't use very much plastic either. I could wash more by hand i guess but i REALLY hate washing by hand

What makes it easier & faster for me is to run the sink with hot & soapy water...put the first round in and let them soak for a bit. After about 15-20 minutes of soaking it is more like rinsing than washing.

challmeyeralways 02-14-2012 01:54 PM

We also are a family of six with one on the way and use very little paper good (I am too cheap). We load the dishwasher after every meal, but it only gets run once a day... sometimes less if I have not been cooking much. (sandwitches, fruit, veggie platters, etc...) I throw as much as I can in there though. The only things I keep out of the dishwasher are my cast iron and my pampered chef stoneware. We do not own much plastics though so I am not sure if that makes a difference.
Each of my kids has a 24 oz water bottle that they drink out of all the time.These do not ever get anything in them except water, so they do not need to be washed very often. I suppose that saves on dishes too. When I give them juice or milk, the top rack gets filled up pretty quickly.

cdeweese 02-14-2012 01:56 PM

One to two times a day. We always seem to have a full dishwasher, but I wash everything in the dishwasher!

lovespepper 02-14-2012 02:01 PM

Family of 7 here, and we run it 2-3x a day. Sometimes I cheat and use paper plates/cups just for a little break!

spencerrn 02-14-2012 02:10 PM

Our dishwasher is run at least twice a day and more if I am baking,etc. I hate hand washing dishes but I do hand wash the larger items. We run the dishwasher after lunch and after dinner.

I also use paper occasionally but not very often.

oneduckstuck5 02-14-2012 02:35 PM

We are a family of 7 with one on the way and we run ours 1-2 times a day. Which reminds me, I need to go turn it on. I had extra dishes today as it's dd's 1st birthday and so I had cake bowls, frosting bowls, etc. Sometimes I'll handwash the extra stuff but these days, being pregnant, I tend to just throw it all in there and let the dishwasher do its thing.

We do use paper occasionally, especially if I have a big group coming over.

Wanderlust 02-14-2012 02:36 PM

Family of 4. I run the dishwasher twice a day. But in my defense, it's a German washer which is about half the size of an American washer. So I guess I wash one American load a day :goodvibes: Everything but sippy cups go in the dishwasher