Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Moms of many.....daytime footwear? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353717)

Honeyshrimp 02-15-2012 02:51 PM

Moms of many.....daytime footwear?

I hope I'm posting in an ok place......just curious what you wear on your feet all day?
Have worn chuck Taylor's since I was twelve......since #5 was born my feet are killing me by afternoon......always running around. My calves are getting really achy too.
Crocs or ugg boots used to be my relief but even those are not helping.
I am small and thin but have wider feet....I think that's the issue with the chucks.....just hoping for advice from ladies who are REALLY on their feet all day. I'm thinking many who post shoe reviews online have NO idea what on your feet all day really can mean lol.
I know many don't wear shoes, but I can't stand it. Maybe a podiatrist visit is in order,if I ever have the time!
Thanks so much mamas, Amanda

britsuz90 02-15-2012 03:26 PM

Re: Moms of many.....daytime footwear?

I think with age and multiple pregnancies that your feet can't handle having no support. Uggs and crocs are well known for causing foot problems.

What type of floors do you have? It makes a huge difference for me. We have hardwood and our last house had carpet. I had a really hard time when I stayed with a friend for 2 months who had a lot of ceramic tile with is much harder than hardwood. Can you use a padded or the new foam pads near the stove and sink?

I would suggest you see a orthopedist for shoe recommendations or goto a really nice running store. My mom is 62 and still does 12 hour shifts at the hospital. They brought in an orthopedist to recommend shoes for the nursing staff. She wears a specific model of New Balance.

All of my kids are adopted and I never had a pregnancy goto term, so I haven't had the same experiences as you. I did just do my 1st half marathon, so my time on my feet significantly increased. I change out my shoes and socks through out the day, including changing socks in the middle of a run if it is 9+ miles. I went to a running store when they look at your gait and how you move and they recommended a specific shoe. I tried similar models in other brands, but they were more narrow, etc. I wear Born maryjanes with built in arch support to most often. I am in my running shoes an hour or more each day, but I take them off soon after exercising to let them swelling without restriction.

twinpossible 02-15-2012 08:26 PM

I totally hear you! I switch around between my asics (running shoes, the shoes I used to run miles in pre-babies), my hiking sandles by Jambu (love those!) and my rainbow flip flops (might not be the best choice but much better then any other thongs since they have arch support). My advice is to wear shoes that are meant to be worn all day or "active" shoes like hiking or running footwear.

My Jambu shoes: http://greatgreenshoes.com/2011/05/2...ngback-sandal/

My running shoes: http://108runningfor.com/2011/11/25/asics/

Rainbows: http://islandsurf.com

Good luck momma!

HeatherlovesCDs 02-17-2012 11:48 AM

I wear flip flops because I have too many kids leaving crumbs on my kitchen floor to go barefoot. :hide:

bluedaisyma 02-17-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 14662357)
I wear flip flops because I have too many kids leaving crumbs on my kitchen floor to go barefoot. :hide:

LOL. When we had carpet only, I would usually just go barefoot (also don't wear shoes outside), but once I had a house with some hardwood, I have to wear slippers in the house, year round (plus, it helps with all the stuff the toddler throws on the floor- broken pasta doesn't hurt with slippers on :))
When we go on errands, if it's winter, I wear slip-on sketchers. If it's above 45 degrees, I wear flip flops.

HeatherlovesCDs 02-17-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedaisyma (Post 14662508)
LOL. When we had carpet only, I would usually just go barefoot (also don't wear shoes outside), but once I had a house with some hardwood, I have to wear slippers in the house, year round (plus, it helps with all the stuff the toddler throws on the floor- broken pasta doesn't hurt with slippers on :))
When we go on errands, if it's winter, I wear slip-on sketchers. If it's above 45 degrees, I wear flip flops.

Anytime I walk onto the carpeted areas, I slip my flip-flops off and leave them at the edge. :giggle: I don't go out barefoot as much as I used to, but I still do sometimes. I used to always do it.

The funny thing is...I won't wear flip-flops out of the house unless I'm going to the pool or beach. :laugh: I always wear tennis shoes when I'm out of the house. In my own defense, I do have bad feet. One had surgery on it a couple years ago. But, I'm home a lot more than out. So, I should be wearing supportive shoes all the time. :blush:

newclothuser 02-17-2012 01:11 PM

I think you need support hose--they offer them in knee highs. yeah, I know, you probably don't want to wear it. But when I was pregnant with my 4th, my legs were crying. After the support hose(a prescription strength from JOBST) my legs are so much better. I should also include that I waitress, and I have for almost 13 years. I am still wearing the knee highs and my legs feel better than when I was 22 with only 1 pregnancy under my belt!

watermelon 02-17-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 14662357)

I love that you wrote this...I've done the same thing in the summer!

thekuligs 02-17-2012 01:55 PM

I must be the only fashion snob LOL I wear whatever matches ;) I have a brown and black pair of nine west flats that are my go to shoes if I am in a hurry on plan to be on my feet longer than normal. I used to wear a lot of Target and Old Navy shoes but sometimes you have to pay for a good shoe hehe. At home I am barefoot or wearing shoes I am "breaking in" for later use. I LOVE funky colored shoes. I am wearing these now:

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=897745002

Honeyshrimp 02-18-2012 10:57 AM

Ok, thanks for the input! Support hose.....blech! But that may not be such a bad idea because my legs are hurting too, especially my calves. Tried danskos once and it was horrible.
I have tried Birkenstocks too and my feet still weren't happy. I am a little bit concerned about fashion, meaning I get concerned about how the shoes look with my jeans. Not really fashionable actually because I only wear flare jeans and I like them to sit over my shoes.
Apparently flares with flat shoes is a big no no.
I feel so dumb about it since obviously I have other stuff I should be doing. Lol. I never thought much about sneakers. That may be a great idea. Thanks! Ps: usually the dogs eat the crumbs. But I have to constantly vacuum up dog hair. We have hardwood in the whole house btw.