Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I don't need this stress right now! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353812)

erlyjo 02-15-2012 06:02 PM

I don't need this stress right now!

Just a warning: this is a vent.

My DH is changing jobs at the beginning of next month, which I thought would be great. He'll be 5 minutes from our house, making more money, and doing something completely different which he thinks he will love.

Then we got the benefit details. My OB, who I dearly love, does not accept the new insurance. We considered buying our own plan that she would except, but all new plans have a 12 month pre-existing condition waiting period, which includes pregnancy. :banghead: Then I thought I would just pay the difference for out-of-network, but now I find out I have an antibody issue which will require monthly blood draws and possibly special ultrasounds. The $$$ look like they could add up fast.

Not to mention the dental insurance. It only covers the big chains that are the origination of all dentist horror stories I've ever heard. Think Orin Scrivello, DDS of Little Shop of Horrors.

So I don't know what I'm going to do. I think I'm just going to cry. But maybe that's just the hormones kicking in.

rosenfried2 02-15-2012 07:00 PM

Maybe there is someone in your area that has a great ob... what about a midwife?

erlyjo 02-15-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosenfried2
Maybe there is someone in your area that has a great ob... what about a midwife?

Can't do a midwife with the antibody situation. :(

rosenfried2 02-15-2012 08:01 PM

:(

dogmom327 02-15-2012 10:04 PM

Re: I don't need this stress right now!

Might look into the pre-existing condition thing further. I thought the latest round of changes with the healthcare law included making it illegal to restrict pre-existing conditions if you don't have a gap in coverage (from one company directly to the next) but I could be wrong. I know when we had to switch (pay for our own due to self-employment) they hardly asked any questions because they couldn't consider pre-existing conditions.

babylovinmama 02-16-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erlyjo (Post 14652850)
Can't do a midwife with the antibody situation. :(

Mama it may be worth it to check around with the mw's in your area and see if they would be willing to talk with you about it and possibly tak you on, despite your condition. I have an endo condition requiring me to be on constant meds which means I also have to have monthly blood draws and have monthly us's. I have been able to stay with my my mw's for our last two pg's. She just has be work with my endo and do the blood draws through him and the mw's get copies of the results and med changes. GL :goodvibes:

jamilynn84 02-16-2012 10:43 PM

Do you have any in area offices where midwives work with ob's?

Apologizing in advance for iPhone typos/autocorrect

RedheadMom09 02-17-2012 07:07 PM

Why don't you just pay for the COBRA coverage to continue the existing insurance from the current job through your delivery? When your DH leaves his current job, you'll get paperwork from them with the information on COBRA continuation coverage. You can elect to continue the coverage for the whole family, or just for one individual (yourself.) It will be pricier than your current premiums but less than buying an individual policy. You'll end up with double coverage for a while because you'll need to sign up for the coverage with the new job within the enrollment window after he starts with the new place or you'll be forced to wait until the next open enrollment period to sign up. However, after you've delivered and all the bills are paid, you can cancel the COBRA and just use his new plan.

With COBRA, you have to pay the premiums directly to the insurance company. When they send you the paperwork, it will tell you how much the coverage would be monthly. Our paperwork only said how much it would be to continue the whole family, but when I called, they told me how much to continue just DD. I think it was around $370 per month, and we had a cadillac plan. :giggle:

When I left my job after DD was born, we kept her covered under that policy with COBRA for about 8 months because she'd recently had heart surgery and we didn't want to deal with switching everything over to DH's Tricare coverage. We did not continue me, I just switched straight over. It was a big relief to have that COBRA coverage because we didn't have to switch providers, etc.

daisy7843 02-18-2012 11:26 AM

I agree with the Cobra. It is pricey but our two older kids have a genetic disorder and we could not let their insurance lapse. It made transitioning everything over much easier.

Almacham 02-18-2012 06:43 PM

:hugs: