Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Would you ever skip newborn size? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354328)

sassypants1234 02-16-2012 05:46 PM

Would you ever skip newborn size?

I am only 13 weeks along but I have a gut feeling our baby is going to be huge. My boyfriend was 11 lbs and he is 6'6" and I just feel like we are going to have a big baby.
I want to be prepared but I also don't want to waste hundreds of dollars on newborns if we won't need them.

cdwelton 02-16-2012 05:54 PM

Re: Would you ever skip newborn size?

Daddy's size has very little to do with how big the baby is going to be at birth, from what I have read, been told and IME. My DH is 260 lbs, and 6'3" and I'm 5'2 115 and our baby was full term 6 lbs 12 oz. However, now at 8 months she is a little above average, which I never was!

We didn't start using CD until my DD was about 6-8 weeks. If you want to start from the beginning you need something that can fit underneath the cord, which is usually why you need the newborn size. Next time we will start around 2-3 weeks and I plan on just skipping to smalls :thumbsup:

ETA: Newborn size resells very well!

sassypants1234 02-16-2012 06:04 PM

See everyone keeps telling me his birth size is a good size to go by and that's scaring me to death.
I will go ahead and order a dozen. We are hoping to have a few babies so at least one will be small enough. lol

umphreysmommy 02-16-2012 06:24 PM

Both DH and I were 9lb babies and my DD was only 7. I really don't think it has too much to do with each other. It could but I wouldn't count on it.

lynn97 02-16-2012 06:29 PM

I don't think there's any way to know. Even the ultrasounds you'll have could be way off. My DS didn't fit in his OS/smalls until he was around 12 lbs. And rarely are babies born at 12 lbs. We used FB and BG 4.0s, though; other brands may fit better from the very beginning. I don't think much can be lost by getting some prefolds and covers in nb size, though. As a PP already mentioned, resale for nb diapers is excellent.

RunawayBunny 02-16-2012 06:30 PM

I really don't know if there is any way to predict the size -especially on the first without a late ultrasound. A friend of mine is fairly short but her husband is really tall. Her baby was huge and long. My son fell right in the middle of my birth weight and my husband's. And then my best friend's son was a tiny thing just like her!

---------------------------------
Meg, mama to Joey (2/2010)!

madina030877 02-16-2012 06:34 PM

All my babies were 10 pounds, me and my husband were just about 6 pounds. so I skipped newborn size and now my DD is 4 weeks and she is on last setting in size small, I have to make her size medium pretty soon.

Vie.en.Rose 02-16-2012 06:57 PM

Have you decided what kind of diapers you're going to use after the newborn stage is over? There are lots of good diapering systems out there that will take you from birth to potty training without having to spend more than you have to.

For example, I use Applecheeks which is a very versatile system. There are 2 cover sizes that fit approx 7-20 pounds and 18-40 pounds. The inserts fit both size covers and can be stuffed inside like a pocket or laid in the cover like an AI2.

Short answer: No, I wouldn't skip newborn diapers. BUT my newborn diapers fit for months.

Amock777 02-16-2012 07:10 PM

I wouldnt skip newborn size. Took atleast a month for my 8lb 4oz baby to fit in OS diapers without them being way too bulky! Have you thought about doing a newborn diaper rental program? Kissed by the moon has one that you get brand new newborn diapers and can use them for 2 months for $55 plus a deposit you get back. That is cheaper than disposables!

ajbailey89 02-16-2012 07:16 PM

I'm going to be the naysayer that says that daddy AND mommy's size do partly determine baby's size. It's simple genetics. I was 9lbs, 9oz and DH was 9lbs, 15oz. DD was 8lbs, 11oz at 2 weeks early. Out of all the babies on either side of the family, dating back to the great grandparents, DD was the smallest baby.

However, I do agree that OS diapers do not generally fit until closer to 12ish pounds, so I'd still go with newborn diapers. Maybe a rental program would be good for you?