Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   So I have some Osnaburg... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354349)

Emberly 02-16-2012 07:48 PM

So I have some Osnaburg...

I have a huge piece of Osnaburg that I bought forever ago intending to try wrapping. It's dimensions are something like 14 ft by 3.5 ft. What do you think I should cut/hem it to? I've never made anything before. Also, my DD is 21 months and around 24 pounds. I know it's a super late wrapping start, but I so want to learn how to do it! If she actually likes it I'll probably splurge and buy a "real" wrap. I highly doubt she's going to let me wrap her often, so I don't want to drop the cash and have it waste, ya know?

Oh, and one more thing. A while back I was looking around on a babywearing retail store and saw these neat little things to make a hammock out of your wrap without hurting the wrap. I can't remember where I saw them, or what they were called. Anyone know?

Minniebees 02-16-2012 09:06 PM

Re: So I have some Osnaburg...

Wrap dimensions are usually in meters, and I'm conversion dumb. You will probably want 4.6 or 5.0 meters to start with. I think a front wrap cross carry is probably the easiest for a novice to learn, personally, and you will need that length for it. It seems overwhelming at first, but you get used to it. The width should be about 27-30 inches for a kid that big. I have some that are about 25, and some that are 30. I would err on the side of making it too wide, you can cut length off, but can't add it back on. Actually, if I was making it, I would cut it about 31 or 32 inches, to give plenty of room for a finished hem. Did you pre-shrink it?

I dont know about the hammock thing, I just tied them on. :) Have fun, osnaburg is supposed to make great wraps!

berrypunch 02-16-2012 11:41 PM

Oh Osnaburg is such fun :) If you haven't already taken the time to pre-wash it you'll need to do that first. O shrinks. Wash it in warm and tumble it on low, iron and then cut and hem.

If you plan to dye it-- You really should, it's fun and easy. Soak it overnight in the washing machine with a few scoops of the regular oxy clean on the smallest load setting and then spin it out and wash it twice, once w/out soap on warm and once w/ regular blue dawn dishsoap on warm. Just a squirt or two. No more is needed than a sink full of dishes or two would take. Dylon can be bought locally at places like Jo Anns, or you can get pro chem or dharma. I don't like to pay shipping or wait, I've had good luck with dylon so far. ;)

Dye safety- If you dye your new wrap be sure to rinse it in warm or hot water until the water runs completely clear. This may take a bazillion washes but it ensures that all of the dye is properly bonded and affixed to the fabric of the wrap and wont be realeased and absorbed by you or your baby.

Osnaburg is nice and soft if you don't strip it, but it doesn't dye well if you don't. If you want it naked and soft leave it oatmeal colored. It's really supportive, but not as soft and cushy as a high dollar woven. I've used O for baby and toddler both and found it worthy. It's highly indestructible too!

berrypunch 02-16-2012 11:43 PM

Oh, Hammock hardware? I think Blueberry tree had some S shaped things and ceiling mounts...don't know what they're called...you mean those?

Minniebees 02-17-2012 06:39 AM

I disagree about the washing, since you have so much of it, and you want to get it nice and pre-shrunk, wash on hot and dry on hot, not warm. 2 or 3 cycles will be best. After that, you won't have to be careful with it, you can wash and dry the stuffings out of it and not worry. Plus, if you do decide to dye it, you will need to do multiple hot washes anyway. Might as well shrink it up now.

berrypunch 02-18-2012 08:02 AM

O & I have had many adventures. The actual washing instructions off the bolt indicate cold wash on gentle. A warm wash is sufficient to shrink it, and if it wasn't the overnight soak in hot water and oxy would be. Once it's shrunk that's it- it's shrunk. It won't stretch back out or shrink anymore (at least not significantly, a few centimeters loss for wash and stretch after wear are normal variances).

Hot, or warm, just be sure that you preshrink it.

Emberly 02-19-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minniebees (Post 14659337)
Wrap dimensions are usually in meters, and I'm conversion dumb. You will probably want 4.6 or 5.0 meters to start with. I think a front wrap cross carry is probably the easiest for a novice to learn, personally, and you will need that length for it. It seems overwhelming at first, but you get used to it. The width should be about 27-30 inches for a kid that big. I have some that are about 25, and some that are 30. I would err on the side of making it too wide, you can cut length off, but can't add it back on. Actually, if I was making it, I would cut it about 31 or 32 inches, to give plenty of room for a finished hem. Did you pre-shrink it?

I dont know about the hammock thing, I just tied them on. :) Have fun, osnaburg is supposed to make great wraps!

Yep, it has been pre-shrunk. I read enough to know to do that. I know it's supposed to be in meters, but I didn't want to convert either, even though I can. LOL. Lazy. I think I'm probably good on length, I just wasn't sure how wide I should make it.
Thanks!

Emberly 02-19-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berrypunch (Post 14660037)
Oh Osnaburg is such fun :) If you haven't already taken the time to pre-wash it you'll need to do that first. O shrinks. Wash it in warm and tumble it on low, iron and then cut and hem.

If you plan to dye it-- You really should, it's fun and easy. Soak it overnight in the washing machine with a few scoops of the regular oxy clean on the smallest load setting and then spin it out and wash it twice, once w/out soap on warm and once w/ regular blue dawn dishsoap on warm. Just a squirt or two. No more is needed than a sink full of dishes or two would take. Dylon can be bought locally at places like Jo Anns, or you can get pro chem or dharma. I don't like to pay shipping or wait, I've had good luck with dylon so far. ;)

Dye safety- If you dye your new wrap be sure to rinse it in warm or hot water until the water runs completely clear. This may take a bazillion washes but it ensures that all of the dye is properly bonded and affixed to the fabric of the wrap and wont be realeased and absorbed by you or your baby.

Osnaburg is nice and soft if you don't strip it, but it doesn't dye well if you don't. If you want it naked and soft leave it oatmeal colored. It's really supportive, but not as soft and cushy as a high dollar woven. I've used O for baby and toddler both and found it worthy. It's highly indestructible too!

Thanks. I actually bought Dylon at the same time I bought the O at Joann's months ago. I'm such a procrastinator. Can I dye it in a front load washer? When I originally bought it I had a top load, it died and we got a front load here recently.

I'm excited to try it out. I think I'll use it for a while "naked" to get the hang of it, and if I like it I'll dye it to make it pretty.

Emberly 02-19-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minniebees (Post 14660470)
I disagree about the washing, since you have so much of it, and you want to get it nice and pre-shrunk, wash on hot and dry on hot, not warm. 2 or 3 cycles will be best. After that, you won't have to be careful with it, you can wash and dry the stuffings out of it and not worry. Plus, if you do decide to dye it, you will need to do multiple hot washes anyway. Might as well shrink it up now.

I think I'll go ahead and wash it a time or two more. I had a top load washer at the time and was afraid it would get too tangled up in there, so I had my mom wash it in her front load. I told her I need it shrunk up, so I assume she used hot or warm water, but since I'm not 100% sure I'll just give it another go.

Emberly 02-19-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berrypunch (Post 14660045)
Oh, Hammock hardware? I think Blueberry tree had some S shaped things and ceiling mounts...don't know what they're called...you mean those?

Yeah, I think we are thinking of the same thing. You mount the hardware, then just tie your wrap to it real good so you don't have to mess your wrap up.