Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   weight loss and bf (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354411)

Kmccall08 02-16-2012 10:19 PM

weight loss and bf

So my ds will be 11 months on the 25th ( feb ) and i started going back to the gym five times a week i really want to lose weight but im also worried about losing my milk supply. tell me your experiences please

BrandNewMama 02-18-2012 07:14 PM

Re: weight loss and bf

I have no experience with this as my first is only 3 months old but I wanted to wish you good luck mama!

Kmccall08 02-18-2012 07:16 PM

Thanks

firefighterwife 02-18-2012 07:25 PM

Everyone is different.

I personally (as did my sister) have to stay about 20 lb. above my base weight while I am nursing or my milk supply drops RAPIDLY. As a matter of fact, I lose ALL my baby weight and get back to my pre-baby weight in the first 2 weeks post-partum...and then gain 20 lbs. between then and when the baby hits 6 months. It is weird. It has happened with every on of my 3 children...and then (without working out or anything) it drops in about 2-3 weeks after they wean. It is just my body's own homeostasis. My sister (who is even skinnier base-weight than me) had the exact same phenomenon with all 5 of her kids.

I have plenty of friends who were able to work out and lose weight and it not affect milk supply enough to be problematic.

firefighterwife 02-18-2012 07:26 PM

Just watch his nursing cues...see if he starts nursing more to increase your supply. Start drinking mother's milk tea, lots of oats, fennel in your foods, etc.

greenearthbaby 02-18-2012 07:31 PM

Take it slowly....eat well....and keep an eye on it. You might be fine.

I always hang on to about 8 lbs until my baby is eating plenty of solids- usually between 12mos and 18 mos. My body must need it because if I try to lose it before that (by restricting diet) then I am ravenous *all the time*.

So definitely exercise.....I never stopped other than the first few weeks....but watch your caloric intake and supply.

Good luck!

Kmccall08 02-18-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenearthbaby (Post 14669341)
Take it slowly....eat well....and keep an eye on it. You might be fine.

I always hang on to about 8 lbs until my baby is eating plenty of solids- usually between 12mos and 18 mos. My body must need it because if I try to lose it before that (by restricting diet) then I am ravenous *all the time*.

So definitely exercise.....I never stopped other than the first few weeks....but watch your caloric intake and supply.

Good luck!

i havent really been restricting myself on food because i do have more of an appetite while bf but im hoping just exercise will help me lose and then hopefully drop alot after i stop bf

Mamaseitz 02-18-2012 10:47 PM

My dd is 3 1/2 months and I am down to preprego weight and exercise 6 days a week, not a to. But a 30 min mom into fitness DVD. When I started
Back into I made sure to take fenugreek 4 times a day to boost the supply so exercise didn't hurt the supply. I stopped w fenugreek after a week and was fine