Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Thoughts on a child who is not Autistic going to an Autism Center? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354467)

Numommy 02-17-2012 03:03 AM

Thoughts on a child who is not Autistic going to an Autism Center?

My daughter is 2.5, she has been in early intervention since she was 15 months old. She has been in it for speech delay. She can sign anything and can say many one syllable words. No two syllable words. I enrolled her in preschool, and the teacher was quite upset at a new student in her class that was nonverbal. She basically refused to work with her. :banghead:
My daughters early intervention teacher went to the school and talked with the director of the Autism center and they would be excited to get her. They think they could help her, and she could help the other students, because she is social and could model some behaviors that the others are lacking.
I think it would be a great opportunity for her. My husband thinks it will put her further behind.
I am looking for any feedback.
She has some autistic tendancies, but two doctors have told us she was not autistic.
Textures are an issue, clothing cant rub, wont touch certain things, etc.
Tantrums over things not being in a certain routine, or put back in place. She got in trouble for getting out of her seat to line the bins back up that were left out in the regular classroom.
Just little stuff, that mind you I think is adorable, but teachers dont want to deal with.

SashaE80 02-17-2012 04:04 AM

Re: Thoughts on a child who is not Autistic going to an Autism Center?

Oddly enough my son is very similar it sounds to your daughter. Just a couple of months older. His preschool has gone completely the other way and he's been put up a year. This happened in January and it was the absolute best thing for him. His speech has been pulled along by others. He's always been very sociable, but was struggling a bit with children his own age, he didn't understand why they didn't share, and occasionally pushed, and would get very upset. The older children are more understanding of him and his ways, and are just more predictable for him.

Either way I hope you find something that works for you.

Numommy 02-17-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SashaE80 (Post 14660366)
Oddly enough my son is very similar it sounds to your daughter. Just a couple of months older. His preschool has gone completely the other way and he's been put up a year. This happened in January and it was the absolute best thing for him. His speech has been pulled along by others. He's always been very sociable, but was struggling a bit with children his own age, he didn't understand why they didn't share, and occasionally pushed, and would get very upset. The older children are more understanding of him and his ways, and are just more predictable for him.

Either way I hope you find something that works for you.

We started in the grade above because the class below 1) has my son, and 2) is full. I think if the teacher would facilitate an environment of growth, it would be great. The sad truth is that she is heckbent on getting someone with speech delays out of her class.

amazon_jane21 02-17-2012 07:46 AM

Have you looked into Sensory Processing Disorder/ Sensory Integration Dysfunction? Many of these kids (DS included) have autistic tendencies, and their sensory issues can cause social and speech issues. I would think Early intervention would have noticed, but they may have been focused on speech. Go to your library and check out "The Out of Sync Child" and see if any of it describes your daughter - you might be surprised. That said, since SPD is not in the DSM, it does no good for her from an accommodation standpoint, but it might give you some strategies to help her and you.
As far as the autism classroom is concerned, it would be wonderful for her to have a teacher that treated her like an individual, at least until her speech catches up with her brain :). My husband was hesitant to even talk to EI, but he saw pretty quickly the progress DS made and no longer objected. Maybe he can look at it as preventative treatment. Just be sure that the teachers will challenge her academically, and you (and she) should be fine. Good luck deciding what is best for your daughter and family ;)

mibarra 02-17-2012 09:00 AM

Worry less about labels and more about needs. Go observe this program and see if it would meet her needs, if so, do it. If many of the kids in the class are significantly behind (which should be obvious), I might be a little leery, but you can always try it for X amount of time and see, too. Nothing is set in stone! :)

JamieJLD 02-17-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra (Post 14661369)
Worry less about labels and more about needs. Go observe this program and see if it would meet her needs, if so, do it. If many of the kids in the class are significantly behind (which should be obvious), I might be a little leery, but you can always try it for X amount of time and see, too. Nothing is set in stone! :)

I agree. And you might be surprised by the kids you see in the Autism only classroom. My DD is in an Autism only classroom at a private preschool and most of the kids are very verbal and *want* to be social - they just need a whole lot of extra help to learn how to use their words and talk to their peers appropriately. But with the high staff ratio at my DD's school the kids are really able to work on those skills and any negative behaviors can be nipped in the bud or at least separated from the other kids before they are mimicked. My DD has made HUGE social gains this year in her Autism only classroom because she (and the other kids too!) have the support and training for the staff to work on those goals.

I think go observe the special school, ask about the services they could give your DD, and seriously consider it. Good luck to you and your DD!

iris0110 02-17-2012 11:24 AM

My oldest is a spectrum kiddo, he also has SPD and at one time was like your dd, behind verbally but with wonderful signing abilities. He has always been hyper social but not appropriately social if that makes sense. He would come up and love on anyone. He has no concept of personal space or that some one might not want a child in their lap or a giant hug right that moment. Even now at 10 he loves on people much like a toddler or preschooler would. He trusts people implicitly and only recently learned to lie. He still can't tell when people are lieing to him or manipulating him (it is a problem). We never could find a good situation for him, there isn't a school around that has an autism program like you are describing but it would have been wonderful. Of course it was many years ago that he was preschool age but not much has changed here I am afraid. We were left to search for private therapy and try to figure things out mostly on our own. I think in your dd's situation, with the school unwilling to work with you and the autism center opening its arms I would probably be willing to try it out for a while. The worst that will happen is that it will be a bad fit and you will need to pull her out and go back to a different program. I would push for some occupational therapy for your dd if she isn't already getting it though. Sounds like she probably has some sensory stuff going on and the autism center would be the place to get it. This really sounds like it could be a great thing for her.

Numommy 02-18-2012 08:15 AM

Oddly enough, one of my concerns was with it upsetting the parents of the children who have a diagnosis. Those that perhaps had to wait to get into this classroom, and because of the right things lining up, us being able to get in.
I really like what you all had to say. Especially, look not at labels, and her being treated as an individual.
I will look at the book. I wonder how a diagnosis would make a difference?
EI did say something about this, and when I took her to her pediatrician he made such a stir of them not diagnosing his children and changing their diet. (They recommended a gluten-free diet, and A had had lots of breathing trouble early on, and her growth had slowed considerably- so he had gotten her growth back on target and then...:)) So, I think EI is gun shy to say anything else.

Suzi 02-18-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numommy (Post 14666610)
Oddly enough, one of my concerns was with it upsetting the parents of the children who have a diagnosis. Those that perhaps had to wait to get into this classroom, and because of the right things lining up, us being able to get in.

That was my first thought. But, if somehow you are able to qualify for it then I would go with it and not feel bad. I'm so insanely jealous :goodvibes: I live in too rural of an area to have an autism center. I think something like that would be ideal for my yds.

I've found developmental peds to often be the most helpful in distinguishing the type of asd/spd

Numommy 02-18-2012 03:38 PM

We live in a very rural area. This was started by a mad mama whose son didn't have any resources! She is my hero.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzi (Post 14667900)
That was my first thought. But, if somehow you are able to qualify for it then I would go with it and not feel bad. I'm so insanely jealous :goodvibes: I live in too rural of an area to have an autism center. I think something like that would be ideal for my yds.

I've found developmental peds to often be the most helpful in distinguishing the type of asd/spd