Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   4 months and major spitup (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354557)

greenearthbaby 02-17-2012 10:39 AM

4 months and major spitup

Sid is about 4 1/2 months. A few weeks ago he started with the maaaajor spit up. I feed him and I am amazed at the amount that comes up! So much that you wonder if *anything* stayed down?

2 of my other boys did this and I can't remember what I did (if anything) to help. The other 2 that spit up like this were BIG babies, though, so I didn't worry much.

He has some nice layers of chub but he's not a huge baby. He weighed 14 lbs 10.5 ounces yesterday at the ped (birth weight: 7 lbs 2 ozs).

Oh, and he is a super HAPPY baby! So I know the reflux isn't bothering him.

I know if someone came to me with this question I would say "don't worry about it!" but, of course, I just have to check in with other moms. ;-)

Oh, and the ped isn't worried. He says he is happy and growing well so not to worry.

Did you have a baby like this and, if so, how did you help lessen the spitting up?

Even though he's my 4th....I still like to hear feedback from other Moms on these things.

lil_filly 02-17-2012 10:05 PM

My LO did the same thing for a few days. Being a new parents I was quite worried and I called the health nurse. We answered nearly all her questions with no...and she concluded that LO was likely over eating. Since then I started unlatching early and if No fussing didn't relatch. I have never had huge spit ups since then.

greenearthbaby 02-17-2012 10:21 PM

Re: 4 months and major spitup

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil_filly (Post 14665302)
My LO did the same thing for a few days. Being a new parents I was quite worried and I called the health nurse. We answered nearly all her questions with no...and she concluded that LO was likely over eating. Since then I started unlatching early and if No fussing didn't relatch. I have never had huge spit ups since then.

Interesting. I do get the feeling this happens at times when he cluster feeds.

I also had the thought that maybe I need to slow him down and burp him a little more often? I get so busy, often multitasking with my other kids, that I rarely pay attention to those details.

Thanks for responding!

wendyj_88m 02-18-2012 08:34 AM

My son spits up a lot too. He is 6 weeks. I agree with pp. my son will over eat. I have been slowing him down and burping him a lot more. He's been burping a lot. I also have started to unlatch him sooner and if he is fine I let him be. He tends to over eat right before bed too. If I was you I would try these suggestions, it has really helped my son.

Erica526 02-18-2012 08:43 AM

A close friend of mine experienced the same thing with her son. He spit up so much after every nursing session that she carried what looked like a suitcase-size diaper bag with changes of clothes for her, the baby, and a million burp cloths. Her son, like yours was a happy baby, gained weight well, had plenty of wet/dirty diapers, and had no other issues. She tried making sure he stayed elevated for 30 minutes or so after each nursing session, but, really, I don't think anything she did actually helped. She just learned to be prepared for the spit-up (and the inevitable comments from everyone around that there must be something wrong). At about 7 months, it started decreasing significantly and completely stopped a few months later.

greenearthbaby 02-18-2012 01:47 PM

Thanks everyone!

Lolobug 02-19-2012 07:56 AM

Just chiming in...
My dd2 has reflux. She has projectile vomiting (like mount Vesuvius!) You can tell the difference between projectile vomiting and spitting up a lot- she does both. Projectile is like a fire hose, very forceful and TONS! Spitting up a lot (IMO) doesn't have the force or quantity.
I traded in burp clothes for beach towels- NO JOKE! We are a 3-load of laundry/day kind of family.
She had problems from day 3, though. Good luck, mama! PM if you have any questions :)

greenearthbaby 02-19-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolobug (Post 14671245)
Just chiming in...
My dd2 has reflux. She has projectile vomiting (like mount Vesuvius!) You can tell the difference between projectile vomiting and spitting up a lot- she does both. Projectile is like a fire hose, very forceful and TONS! Spitting up a lot (IMO) doesn't have the force or quantity.
I traded in burp clothes for beach towels- NO JOKE! We are a 3-load of laundry/day kind of family.
She had problems from day 3, though. Good luck, mama! PM if you have any questions :)

Very good description. Thanks! He does the projectile only occasionally, it's usually just a lot of spitup.

I have found that slowing him down and stopping to burp has helped tremendously!

Thanks!