Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Discovering boy parts (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135506)

SorenEdenTuckers 04-23-2007 08:55 AM

Discovering boy parts

Last night my son (will be 3 in August) was in my tub and I was sitting on the one of the steps to the tub reading as I often do after they are all washed and they just want to play for a while. So he was playing and after a few minutes I noticed he was being kind of quiet, he normally is very loud and half the tub of water ends up on the floor. So I look up and he is standing up, so I said baby sit down before you fall and hurt yourself, he says "mama, look at dis"
so I stand up and he's got his testicles in one hand :cry: so I said yes baby now sit down. He sits down and I go back to reading. A about 2 minutes later I see out of the corner of my eye he stands up again and is checking them out yet again and he says while pinching them "hey, what is in there"
So then I called for my husband to come and take care of the explaination. I didn't know what to tell him. So Stephen finishes the bath gets him in his pj's and to bed and I ask him, so what'd you tell him? He says, I told him they were his balls @@ I was like, you couldn't have told him something a little more in 2 1/2- 3 year old terms? He's like should I have told him they were his testicles?? I said that would have been better.
So fast forward to this morning, my mother comes over and he says "hi nonni, I have some balls"
Lord help me with these boys. so my question is, what is an age appropriate response to the question that my son asked and do you discourage them from talking about it the way my son did to my mother :blush:
I'm not a prude by a longshot, but I don't want my son talking about his scrotum all the time :/

piccolo41099 04-23-2007 09:18 AM

Re: Discovering boy parts

My boys did the same thing at that age. After a few days if no one laughs or gives it any attention, it will blow over. If it happens in public I just say those are your private parts and we don't play/talk/show (or what ever fits the subject) them in public. It usually stops after a few days. Good luck.

~Bug~ 04-23-2007 09:49 AM

Too funny!

My nephew came in one day explaining his pee pee hurt and that it was from the blood going into it. We were kind of confused until we realized that was how his parents explained the erections he was having. :blush: The funny part was he asked DH if that ever happened to him. Since DH hadn't figured out what he was talking about he said no, while the rest of the family listened in the other room. :giggle:

SorenEdenTuckers 04-23-2007 10:01 AM

I am just thankful that my mom raised 7 boys aside from me and understood LOL. She said she had heard it all over the years, but I was so embarrassed that he said that. My mom said "just you wait, it gets better" :eek:

bfoster2000 04-23-2007 10:07 AM

For the PP who said it goes away in a couple of days, wanna swap kids? DJ's been on this obsession for almost a year! I have taught him that it is his penis but most of the time he calls it his pee pee. He recently discovered that Daddy's pee pee is hairy and mommy doesn't have a pee pee at all. He was using the potty the other day and got all excited because "Look mommy...my pee pee's really big!" Yay! I have taught him that we don't talk about/play with/show off our private parts around other people but every time he goes to the potty or takes a bath, we have to go through:
"This is my peepee?"
"Yes, honey, that's your peepee."
"Daddy has one too? And Paw? And Baby James?"
"Yes honey."
"But not Mommy? Or Grandma? Or Aunt Bonnie?"
"No honey."
"Why not?"
"Because boys have peepees and girls don't."
"Ohh... But I do."
"Yes you do."
"And you don't."
"No I don't."
"But you have boobies and I have a chest?"
"Yes..."

And it can go on like this for a while...

Monkeytaylz 04-23-2007 10:25 AM

Yep, after raising 3 girls (dsd, 24, dd, 21, and dd,17) it has been interesting having a son. My 3 yr old son discovered his boy part awhile back and calls it his "weiner" even though I have referred to it as penis also. Now that he has potty trained, he has free access to it, not being in a diaper. I have to remind him not to touch himself all the time. The other morning he tells me, "look, mommy, my weiner is getting bigger! It's bugging me." Too funny. I just told him that that happens sometimes!
And now he can pee standing up! He is so proud of himself!

SorenEdenTuckers 04-23-2007 10:37 AM

LOL at these stories.
I am so happy to know I am not alone (sorry mamas)
Soren knows about his penis, we went through that discovery a while ago, he ends up calling it his peenee but I always stay to calling it penis.My mom said once they find it they never let go.
I guess the testicles though they have always been there, were suddenly interesting. It's been continuing throughout the morning, he realized that "Tucker has balls too" @@ ahhhhh

DH called a little bit ago and asked how the kids were I said well, "Soren and his balls are just fine thanks to you" lol

Will have to archive this story to tell to my future daughter in law when the time comes.

newtocding 04-23-2007 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorenEdenTuckers (Post 994935)
My mom said once they find it they never let go.

That is the Gods honest truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Altho my 6 yr old doesn't touch it nearly as often as when he was younger--thank goodness, since he's in School now!!

And fwiw, my ds came up with balls on his own...when asked where he heard it, he said he didn't, it's just what they feel like:giggle: so your son prob would have come up with it sooner or later. (tho dh's are no help in this area, in my experience!!) And it's really not too much better to hear them announcing that they have a scrotum either!!:goodvibes: I do agree w/ pp, just don't make too big of deal(and its hard not to laugh, but try really hard!!). And just keep reminding him that it's private ...but it is just a stage, and since it's attached, you really can't do too much about it:goodvibes:

Melissa~BHS 04-23-2007 11:48 AM

I had to read your post out loud to my DH and we both had a good laugh. My DH said "thats exactly what I would have told the boy too!:
Unfortunately your son has already found it. There is no stopping him from touching it, showing it off, and talking about it. :laugh: I think you can just gently tell him, we do not talk about our balls (testicles, scrotum, whatever) with company. If you have a question or want to talk about it, you need to find mommy or daddy. Preferably daddy. :laugh: