Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   My back pain is making me cry (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1355650)

EmmaGM 02-19-2012 03:41 PM

My back pain is making me cry

Any suggestions from more experienced mamas? I've tried:

Walking it out
Stretching it out
Laying on my back
Laying on both sides
Pillow between my knees
Heat (feels good but doesn't fix)
Tylenol (most useless drug on the planet)
Pleading with God
Bargaining with God
Yelling at fetus
Sweet-talking fetus

Nothing helps. The pain is excruciating. Its in my lower back just barely above my butt. I also get shooting pain through my right cheek and into my thigh when I step a certain way or bend over.

Any advice appreciated :cry:

Sent from my Galaxy SII Skyrocket using DS Forum

TwinKristi 02-19-2012 04:03 PM

I know you said you've tried heat, but how did you do that and for how long? I was told by the nurse that for sciatica (which is what that sounds like to me) you can fill a tube sock (like an old mismatched one of dh's) and fill it with uncooked rice and tie a knot at the end and pop it in the microwave. It's reusable too. I would lay down on my left side with a pillow between my knees and a hot pack on my back for a good 30+ mins (having dh reheat rice as needed) and it would help. I worked in an office sitting most of the day plus a good 30 min commute both ways :-( Not fun!
Good luck!!

bezark 02-19-2012 04:46 PM

I had to laugh out loud at your list. I'm so right there with you right now.
It helps me, sometimes, to get on my hands and knees and rock my hips for a while. It's especially useful right before bed. I may still wake up in agony a few times a night, but it helps me fall asleep a little more comfortably.

I have a handful of Vicodin for a broken rib. Half of one is also pretty useful for the really bad days.

CaliRoll 02-19-2012 05:07 PM

I've been dealing with that for most of my pregnancy. Pain in lower back with shooting pain from both hips, depending on the day. I'll have to try that hot rice sock idea!

Seeing a chiropractor helps. He's keeping me adjusted plus doing some stretching moves that seem to help. Rocking on all fours also seems to help, plus conveys to my household that Mama is not in the mood to talk.

erlyjo 02-19-2012 05:08 PM

I'm not there yet with this pregnancy, but with my last my OB suggested a chiropractor and physical therapy. Maybe ask your OB or midwife for a referral?

Jewelgurl137 02-19-2012 05:55 PM

:hugs: I have horrible pain in my mid back. I definitely feel your pain. The only thing that helps is laying down at an angle and using heat. But ya no solution. Chiropractor helps a bit too but still not a solution. Sorry I'm no help.

bluedaisyma 02-19-2012 07:53 PM

Re: My back pain is making me cry

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaGM (Post 14673421)
Any suggestions from more experienced mamas? I've tried:

Walking it out
Stretching it out
Laying on my back
Laying on both sides
Pillow between my knees
Heat (feels good but doesn't fix)
Tylenol (most useless drug on the planet)
Pleading with God
Bargaining with God
Yelling at fetus
Sweet-talking fetus

Nothing helps. The pain is excruciating. Its in my lower back just barely above my butt. I also get shooting pain through my right cheek and into my thigh when I step a certain way or bend over.

Any advice appreciated :cry:

Sent from my Galaxy SII Skyrocket using DS Forum

LMAO.

chiroprator and/or massage therapy

My hips felt like they were separating all last night, and I can't afford my chiro :cry:

romansmommy 02-19-2012 08:07 PM

Check w/ your health ins (if you have it) to see if massage therapy is a covered service when prescribed by you OB/midwife. Also, alternate heat & cold.

Jatango 02-20-2012 05:30 AM

Chiro, acupuncture and a birthing ball to spread my hips has been a miracle. My leg will still threaten to collapse on bad days, but I just keep moving. Stopping makes it worse, like it locks up. It's your sacroiliac joint. You can also "block" your pelvis to help, might need to google that one, it's easy. Mine was caused by a misaligned pubic bone and sacrum. Getting in to see my Chiro every two weeks is a sanity saver!

Sent from my iPhone, auto-correct be darned!

omahonycm 02-20-2012 05:35 AM

Re: My back pain is making me cry

I'm right there with you - and only 11 weeks along. Scared about the next few months! I haven't found anything that really really helps, but I was checking the web yesterday on it. Vitamin D was recommended, so I'm upping that. Also strengthening and stretching exercises. I'm starting a prenatal yoga video today. None of those are direct relief, but help in the long run. Also, I've heard alternating heat/cold is better than just one or the other - and get your partner to dig his fists into the areas on your butt/hips that hurt. I also lay on a tennis ball to get in that deep massage.