Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   3+ c-sections- please share stories and info! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1357458)

Designsbybequi 02-23-2012 06:30 AM

3+ c-sections- please share stories and info!

Hi mamas! I would like 5 children and am scheduled for my 4th c-section in June. We tried a HBA2C for the last birth, which ended in my 3rd c-section due to failure to progress like my first one. Second surgery was planned. We tried so hard to vbac the last baby so we could have 5 babies and it just didn't happen! Now I'm on my 4th and the support in my area is so bad and negative. I need some success stories or websites I can read to help me out mentally. Are we crazy? Should I get 'sterilized' during this surgery like the doctors recommend?
My appt. yesterday was so negative that it left me crying all day. I want a specific Ob who did a great job on #3, but my prenatal visit was with his partner. She was complete gloom and doom and flat out told me I wasn't having 5 kids and that c-sections limit family size. She said I run a 1:5 risk of them cutting my bladder so I could pee myself daily for the rest of my life, uterine rupture, maternal death.... She went through it all over and over and seemed mad at me. I seem to heal well with no complications and the last ob didn't say anything negative during the last surgery.
I'm thinking of looking for a more positive practice or even going to a larger city and different hospital. I don't know what to do so I'm hoping for some info or experiences from here! I would hate to miss out on baby #5 because of fear. I need some lifting up, I'm still pretty down. It's not like I chose c-sections. We've been really bummed about each of them. Thanks in advance!

Abbaloosa 02-23-2012 06:38 AM

Re: 3+ c-sections- please share stories and info!

Find a new doctor.

My OB (older, relaxed type) said there really wasn't a limit on how many c/s I could have...as long as I got pregnant he'd find a way to get the baby out! But seriously 5 or 6 was not a problem.

We were/are planning on 5-6 children as well, they would have all been c/s but I was able to VBA2C #3 so now we hopefully can avoid it for the rest. One more breech baby and I'm out of luck though.

austinandashlynsmommy 02-23-2012 06:40 AM

Wow, I would be outraged after that. I will be having C-section #4 late August of this year and my ob and I talked about it both before getting pregnant again, and at my first appointment. I was the one in the room with all of the concerns and questions and he put my mind at ease. I'm sure this varies a lot depending on personal situation and surgery experience, but I'll share mine and hope it helps you. When I had my first, I was overdue, pre-eclampsia, and induced. After 18 hours of labor, I did not progress, at all. They took me in for a C, and other than the high bp continuing for a few days, no complications. I live in a rural area, and the hospitals around here will not do a vbac. I would have had to travel over an hour to a bigger city and with the knowledge that my body doesn't seem to like to contract or dilate at all, we decided to just go with a scheduled C section at 39 weeks. Repeat for my third pregnancy. My ob told me that my risk level for complications, including uterine rupture with #4 are slim. He said that the risks do go up with each pregnancy, but with my history of not contracting and relatively easy pregnancies, he expects everything to go great. The one piece of advice he gave me was that if I think I'm having contractions in later pregnancy, or possibly in the early stages of labor, to go be monitored, because that is what would make the risks go up. In my opinion, if you have a good ob/surgeon, cutting into an organ that shouldn't be cut into shouldn't even be a concern. I would consult with another dr.

I don't know if any of that helps you, but hope you are able to get your wish and find a dr who will help you!

mommieleah74 02-23-2012 07:36 AM

I think a lot of it also depends on your age. I had 4 csections, but I had my 4th csection at age 36. I think if you are young enough it should be ok, but the older you get the risk for complications are higher. My doctor advised against any more in my case because of my age and my number of abdominal surgeries.

Anna0623 02-23-2012 07:48 AM

I have only had 2 c-sections but my cousin had 4 and she's fine. She decided to get fixed bc she was done growing her family. She did not let doctors tell her the amount of children to have, although doctors tried telling her to only have 2 c sections. Find a new doctor for #5. You don't need to put up with that kind f treatment. Thats crazy she was so rude and put you through such a hard time.

aries416 02-23-2012 09:56 AM

I've had 2, but my OB said he had a woman who had 5 and he did not see a problem at all with me having more after my 2nd. I had zero complications with either of mine.

raisingcropsandbabies 02-23-2012 10:06 AM

On my 3rd c-section the doc discovered a lot of scar tissue and knicked my bladder. They sewed it up and I regained the urge to pee in a week. My friend, who had 3 c-sections, had her bladder cut as well and never regained the urge to pee. She goes by the clock so she doesn't have accidents.

I think it all just depends on the person. Even with my complications from the last c-section, my doctor said he'd do another c-section on me. He thinks it's a personal choice and it's upto us to weigh the risks against the benefits. He just did c-section number 7 on a lady. He just said to keep in mind I had issues this time around and percentages of risks (specifically placenta abnormalities) go up with a 4th c-section. He's had 3 placenta accretas resulting in hysterrectomies on baby #4's and 5's.

Such hard decisions! While my doc is supportive, other docs in his practice are cautiously "okay" with 4th c-sections. haha. I talked with my doctor and he said just ask the office ladies to schedule prenatals with only him. :) Maybe you could talk with yours and ask the same as well?

Hope y

mommabritt 05-09-2012 07:43 AM

I had my fourth cs last August without complication. I do have moderate scar tissue inside my abdomen so that makes the procedure a bit lengthy but I have never been warned by a dr to limit my children because I can't have more cs. My close friend just had her 5th cs in November, also without complication.

Designsbybequi 05-12-2012 06:57 PM

The doctor I like said the number of C-Sections is a case by case decision and that he'd tell us his opinion during this section on how it looks. I like his philosophy but the entire practice besides him is horrible! They act like babies are a curse or disease or something. They've made me see the others during prenatal appts and WOW! At my last appt- the first thing I was asked was, " What are your plans for not getting pregnant again". It wasn't , "How are you? How are things going? Are you getting excited with only 8 more weeks left!" so I answered weirdly, "condoms?" because of how rude they were and they retorted," No, permanent solution , like getting your tubes tied???" Honestly, I went home and am actively looking for a back up surgeon in another town. If for some reason I am unable to have the surgeon of my choice in this practice, we are driving far away!! I will not let anyone else in that practice touch me! If I go to that hospital, the policy is whoever is there from his practice has to deliver me. The atitudes here are appalling!

ivparker 05-12-2012 07:04 PM

I've had 5 cs with no complications and my ob said I could have more. She also said it was a case by case decision and she felt like I was healing very well and had very little scar tissue.