Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   The PRO's (and con's) of Natural Childbirth (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1357710)

sandhillcranes 02-23-2012 01:48 PM

The PRO's (and con's) of Natural Childbirth

Ok, so I started reading the other thread bc I really am curious about the pros and cons of epi during childbirth. But I don't think the OP of that thread created it for a debate....I found the first few pgs to be interesting bc they offered a perspective that is different than mine but they were first hand accounts so I enjoyed reading them. But eventually it seemed like some of the posts were saying what everyone IRL is constantly saying "why would anyone go natural?".....Sooooo, I would love to see a thread started with the pro's of having natural childbirth. And I'm sure those that do not want to read about the pros AND the cons will be happy to see another thread started. Experiences/stories welcome. I don't mind reading the cons to going au naturale either, so long as info is first person account or factual in nature. :mrgreen:
Links to factual articles and data are also welcome. For either side :thumbsup:

I did have natural childbirth with my first. I went into it thinking "well, if this ends up being 12hrs in a hospital I cant guarantee I wont..." so I wouldn't say I was die hard about getting/not getting an epi. I was fairly die hard about not having narcotics, only bc I hate feeling "out of my element". I would love to be able to have another drug/med free birth but I am scared I will cave when the pain really hits and I am also fearful that my next labor will not be as quick. I have been trying to do a lil research here and there to find first person accounrs and actual info about why NOT to get an epi. I really don't like reading stuff on google/yahoo or anything that starts out with "I have a friend who....." bc I don't find that info trustworthy.

Two things I did find that have stuck with me:
http://health.utah.gov/mihp/pregnanc...g/epidural.htm
Just facts.

And this. Though it is conflicting imo bc there is no "proof" essentially. But definiely worth reading/watching. I havent been able to watch it on my comp. I did read it twice, it is sad! Keep that in mind if you are weepy or hormonal.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9818616/...-turns-deadly/

I have tried finding more info about infection and epi but other than this, havent had much luck
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5903a1.htm

Please feel free to share!

Holly dolly 02-23-2012 03:00 PM

Re: The PRO's (and con's) of Natural Childbirth

I did not have an epidural with either of my boys. With ds1 I had nubane and it was terrible. With ds2 I had a natural hospital birth.

I was much like you with my first...I didn't *want* the epidural...but I wasn't pretending to be a superwoman either. I knew that although the epi *might* have some side effects...it was better that mommy *survive* the birth. :) I also have a negative reaction to any type of numbing I've had (itching like crazy) so the thought that I *might* be terribly itchy over half my body was a driving factor for me to do my best to steer clear.

With my second, I was MUCH more relaxed. I wouldn't say I was in pain until I was dilated to 8 or 9. From that point to delivery was about 30 minutes...and the more unbearable pain was only in the last 5-10 minutes. Did I mention my labors are quick? Ds2 was almost born before my water broke. OB broke it and 3 minutes and 3 pushes later he was born.

bluedaisyma 02-23-2012 05:16 PM

I don't know of any "cons" per se of having a natural childbirth, but know plenty for having a medicated birth (but you didn't ask that :)). If pain is considered a "con" then in my opinion, that is a con with working out (being sore, etc), so I don't consider it a con, I consider it part of the process.

PROS:
being present at the birth, completely involved in every feeling, etc, feeling at one with the birth and the baby.

easy recovery

being able to be up and around immediately after birth

not feeling loopy or out of it for breastfeeding and not passing anything on to the baby via breastfeeding or thru the placenta (since there is no meds)

L J 02-23-2012 05:42 PM

I don't know what the cons are really, to either. All natural is what my mama did, she said it wasn't hard, so that's what I did. I didn't research the alternative much.

I went into it with the attitude that it would be intense, but not by any means excruciating, and that is exactly the experience I got.

I will say this - I heard epis slow down labor, and I want absolutely no part of that! Birthing is cool, but I don't want to do it any longer than I have to.

It was also very important for my mental state to be able to move freely during labor, which I'm sure you can't do numb from the waist down. That loss of control, the idea of not being able to feel half of my body, really freaks me out.

sandhillcranes 02-23-2012 05:48 PM

I wasnt really looking for the cons of having a med free birth. I personally didnt experience any cons myself. I just didnt want anyone to feel like they couldnt share if they had an adversary opinion. :goodvibes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly dolly (Post 14699281)
I did not have an epidural with either of my boys. With ds1 I had nubane and it was terrible. With ds2 I had a natural hospital birth.

I was much like you with my first...I didn't *want* the epidural...but I wasn't pretending to be a superwoman either. I knew that although the epi *might* have some side effects...it was better that mommy *survive* the birth. :) I also have a negative reaction to any type of numbing I've had (itching like crazy) so the thought that I *might* be terribly itchy over half my body was a driving factor for me to do my best to steer clear.

With my second, I was MUCH more relaxed. I wouldn't say I was in pain until I was dilated to 8 or 9. From that point to delivery was about 30 minutes...and the more unbearable pain was only in the last 5-10 minutes. Did I mention my labors are quick? Ds2 was almost born before my water broke. OB broke it and 3 minutes and 3 pushes later he was born.

Sooooo hoping my second birth goes like yours. I was in the hospital 2hrs total before DS was born. It was fast. Hard but fast.

ReadingRenee 02-23-2012 06:57 PM

My two births have been natural(med free) and I am hoping that this one is too.

My first birth I was determined to not have the epi. I had read about the side effects, the spinal headaches, the drop in blood pressure, but most of all the possible slowing of labor and I didn't want that. Unfortunately I didn't read much else so when actual labor came I had no idea how to handle it. My baby was posterior and it was the most pain I have been in in my life. I also did all the wrong htings like tensed up as each contraction came. I was ripping the mattress off the bed at some point! It was pretty textbook aside from that, 14 hours start to finish. My doula was very helpful and my sheer determination to not have an epi.

My second birth, I wanted to be more prepared. I got an amazing doula who recommended to me to practice relaxing because it was the most important thing to do during labor. I practiced breathing with my husband every night, I listened to my hypnobirth cd's. I read book after book on natural childbirth.

For dd2 I was pretty prepared. I was able to relax through contractions and had about a 5 hour labor with out really any pain. LOTS Of pressure, lots of intensity but nothing like the first labor. I was in the hospital for 2 hours before I had my baby. I felt GREAT after pushing her out. Like I could go run a marathon. I felt even better than I had before. It was amazing!

I think a pro to non medicated childbirth is being able to listen to your body and move where you need to move to help labor along and of course less possibility for intervention. But I think its REALLY important to be able to relax during contractions.

crunchymom2b 02-23-2012 08:38 PM

One of the few cons I can think of (and this is a biiiiiiiig stretch!) is that if you don't have an epi and need an emergency section you may have to be knocked out. But I would't get an epidural for that reason alone.

I did get an epidural, and I consider pain to be a con, but it depends on how you handle it. I did not relax and let my fear and anxiety overtake me. I'm determined not to let that happen this time around, though I will not feel guilty for getting an epi if that's how it ends up.

bigmamakelsey 02-23-2012 08:43 PM

It's so hard to say, since childbirth isn't really one of those one size fits all category. For example, feeling the contractions work to get my baby out and being aware of the present moment was a big pro for me, but it could be a con to someone else. Not everyone wants to be aware and feel the pain of labor, some want to sleep and relax, kwim? I guess the only thing I can think of that would definitely be big plus is exiting the risk of physical problems or traumas that can occur with drugs. There is no risk of misplaced epidurals or bad side effects from med use with natural birth! I also imagine that pushing is easier naturally. It seems would be hard to get a baby out with a numb body, and it would be hard to tell when to slow it down.

OneFishTwoFish 02-25-2012 08:07 AM

My first son was born with an epi and my second without. I would give birth naturally 100 more times if I could. It was the single most empowering moment of my life. With my first, I had little support from the hospital staff and the epi was strongly encouraged. I couldn't feel to push and they ended up needing to use a vacuum. With my second, I pushed when I felt the urge. 7 minutes later he was in my arms.

sandhillcranes 02-25-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneFishTwoFish (Post 14708217)
My first son was born with an epi and my second without. I would give birth naturally 100 more times if I could. It was the single most empowering moment of my life. With my first, I had little support from the hospital staff and the epi was strongly encouraged. I couldn't feel to push and they ended up needing to use a vacuum. With my second, I pushed when I felt the urge. 7 minutes later he was in my arms.

This is very encouraging. I had a very fast pushing stage with my son and I wondered if I had had the epi how it wouldve been different.