Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   What do I buy for a summer baby?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1358332)

sarbear52 02-24-2012 07:09 PM

What do I buy for a summer baby??

Hi Mamas! I hope I am posting in the correct forum. I went back and forth with which one to go with.

I am pregnant with my 4th baby. I have typically had cold weather babies and this one is due in the middle of summer. I am second guessing myself on what kind of a wardrobe to buy. I know I won't need to super bundle him, but at the same time newborns aren't able to regulate their own temperature right off the bat. We use air condition sparingly (just enough so we aren't feeling miserable.)

My feeling is to get mostly short sleeved onesies and several adan & anais swaddling blankets since they aren't too heavy. Also some long sleeve newborn shirts.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time and input! :)

Djuna2 02-24-2012 07:17 PM

Depends on where you live. I had my first in South Carolina in August, and even dressed in nothing but a onesie, she would get sweaty, I would get yelled at by little old ladies when out, but all she wore for her first few months were onsies, short rompers, and sleeveless dresses.

solarbabies 02-24-2012 07:18 PM

Re: What do I buy for a summer baby??

DD was born in June, we used a long sleeve onsie 2 or 3 times all summer. She wore dresses ALL summer! If not a dress than a short sleeve onsie. We did have a few pairs of light pants for her and she did wear socks a lot and footed sleepers at night after she outgrew the gowns.

I would say...
short sleeve onsies/shirts
comfy knit dresses if you know it's a girl..SO much easier for diaper changes
maybe 2 long sleeve onsies/shirts?
2 or so light pairs of pants or baby legs
socks
a few light blankets
whatever baby sleeps in...gowns, sleepers, ect.

Amanda+2 02-24-2012 07:19 PM

Oooh I'm glad you asked this, my twins were born in Scotland - so cold no matter what time of the year, but no. 3 is due in August.

I won't be putting them in 'proper' clothes until they are a few months old, so i thought lots of onesies. But I'm not sure what to do about swaddling - we live in Houston so super hot in August.

sarbear52 02-25-2012 06:00 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone! I appreciate it! Going thrift store shopping later this morning and now I know what to focus on. :)

raisingcropsandbabies 02-25-2012 02:56 PM

My first son is a July baby and we don't have central air... in the midwest... He wore just a diaper the first two months of his life! If I even put a onesie on him, he'd be sweating up a storm. I had a couple really threadbare blankets that I'd wrap him in.
His first week of life I put him in a long sleeved onesie with pants and put a light blanket on him... well the midwife came to check on him on day 5 and his temp was 100! Getting him naked brought it back down, but lesson learned.

If it were me I wouldn't bother with long sleeved onesies... you could always use an extra light blankie if need be.

Free Thinker 02-26-2012 02:40 PM

I had a May baby last year, my must haves are the A&A blankets, a nice cool sling (I got one made of solarviel), and lots of bubbles. I didn't put onesies under her sleepers, but we did use sleepers quite a bit. I didn't like to use just onesies much, I usually preferred either a sleepr for at home or a bubble if we were going out.

McMandy 02-27-2012 11:41 AM

I keep lots of short sleeve side snapping t shirts around. My summer babies mostly wear those and a diaper!

I made some light blankets to wrap them in too... Flannel was just to hot!

Liadan23 02-27-2012 01:24 PM

my son was born in september in houston, but when he was 2 weeks old we moved to the tex/mex border for 3 months. even though it was september, it was over 100 most days for the first month or so, and we didn't have a/c. so.....all that said, i considered him a summer baby at the time, even though now that we're in chicago, he's definitely a fall baby :)

he mostly wore just short sleeves onesies, with a light baby blanket (my grandma made me a ton of receiving blankets, they were made of i think cotton? but they were bigger than the ones you buy in the store, so much better for wrapping). i also got a lot of crap from the nosey old ladies when we went out ("oh! he needs more blankets/socks/a sleeper/whatever! he must be freezing!"). but he also broke out in a sweat just from the onesie. a lot of times, i only added the blanket because my husband believed the little old ladies, and thought i was trying to make the baby freeze to death. even so, ds got a nasty heat rash at a couple weeks old, all over his body. dh changed his tune once the dr told us that he was just too hot and sweaty and we had to try to bathe him frequently and keep him cool. HA. so anyways, for me, just the short sleeved onesies with a couple receiving blankets was good enough.

thekuligs 02-27-2012 02:03 PM

I have had a summer baby before, and we do very little clothing hear in Vegas for little babies! The twins were still small when it got hot. The thing to remember about sleeping though, is the AC! The twins room was the coldest in the house when the AC blew so we still put them in full PJ's and regular swaddle blankets.