Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   International (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Military Mamas Overseas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1358337)

JoyfulMomx4 02-24-2012 07:36 PM

Military Mamas Overseas

Hi everyone. I was just wondering how many other military mamas are out there. We are headed to Germany in a week! I'm freaking out a little bit because there is so much we have to do. I don't think I'll be able to CD for awhile because I won't have ready access to a washer. I've heard that the German washers are smaller. Is there anything else I need to know or adjust in the wash routine once we are settled?

Wanderlust 02-25-2012 05:47 AM

Re: Military Mamas Overseas

Welcome! We're at Ramstein. Your washer/dryer depends on where you're stationed and what housing you have. Here in the the KMC (Kaiserslautern military community), if you live on base, you get an American sized washer and dryer.

If you live off base, it depends on your washer/dryer hookups. FMO will lend you a washer and dryer for your tour here. Our rental house had the hookups for the American sized washer/dryer so that's what we got.

The European sized washer/dryers are small. In England, that's what we had and it was a front loader and would only fit about 3-4 pairs of jeans. And the dryer was a condenser dryer since there was no vent...so it had a pan that I had to change out after every dryer cycle. I ended up doing laundry all the time.

hauser 02-25-2012 08:20 AM

You will love Germany! We had an American size washer/dryer in England. It really does depend, but here is a chance you will have a European size one. They can also take longer unless you are already use to a front loader.

I had more luck getting our diapers clean overseas. Since we moved I cannot get them clean and they keep getting a rash. I switched to sposies...ick...but hopefully they will potty train soon!

2+2macht4 02-26-2012 03:52 AM

I am not a military mama, but I am an American Expat living in Germany since 2008.

Where will you be going? We are down by Freiberg. I am so excited to see more mamas in Germany.:lostit:

Yes, I find the washers to be about half the size of US washers. I do double the amount of laundry :yuck:

I cannot help with any military related questions, but anything about life on the economy, or of base, feel free to shoot my way:hugs:

2+2macht4 02-26-2012 03:54 AM

Oh our washer and dryers take longer as do dishwashers.

My washer takes about 2 hours on a normal load as does the dryer.

Dishwasher is about and hour and a half, in our last place it was 3 hours.

lfilbert 03-07-2012 02:23 AM

I am not at Germany, we are stationed in Italy, but my washer and dryer are both german brand front loaders.

We have really hard water here so washing in them is a pain, but doable. It takes a couple rinses, a hot wash, and then a few more rinses to get all teh residue out. Along with the long washer cycles it really does take a lot longer to wash diapers in these little european front loaders than a top loader.

Oh hanging diapers to dry helps out with the time as well since most of the time the diapers will dry outside before they would in the dryer

jj7202 03-07-2012 04:25 AM

We are at Spangdahlem :) Germany has been a great place to live! We CD here even with the small washer/dryer ;) it can be done! Enjoy your new adventure!!

Brae'sMama 04-07-2012 06:56 PM

We're in Schweinfurt. We moved on post a year ago and I miss my German washer!!! Those things are great at cleaning fluff.

MommyMerk 07-19-2012 01:27 AM

I'm in Landstuhl, I just found out I'm pregnant last week, and hoping to cloth diaper... I don't know where to order from or what to get or ANYTHING about it except it's better for baby, the environment, and the wallet. I assume it's not the same talking about my washer and dryer because I haven't tried laundering soiled diapers in them, but I have american size and good hot water, I haven't noticed anything different than the stateside ones. We used to live in another village and had the smaller front load washer, and German dryer and other than having to empty the water reservoir for the dryer I had no problems with them, the load size was smaller, but not obnoxiously so in my opinion.

masone3291 02-15-2013 09:02 AM

ok any of you guys been to korea how do things go there we just got our order to go