Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Waiting until a year for solids...? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1358791)

justineybean 02-25-2012 09:19 PM

Waiting until a year for solids...?

My DD seems interested in eating solids. She likes her bowl and spoon to play with and squeezes applesauce through her fingers and licks it off the side of the bowl. She watches me intently while I eat. But when I try to feed her she just gags and makes an awful face. She seems to like the taste but isn't ready for the texture. She turned 9 months on the 19th. She is gaining weight well and is 25 lbs. she is EBF. She doesn't drink from a cup yet and probably has had 5-10 bottles before.

So I guess I just feel nervous because I've been trying to introduce solids for 1 or 2 months and it's not going anywhere. Is there any reason to be concerned and what are the actual benefits of starting solids before a year? Besides the obvious if an LO is not getting enough nutrition elsewhere?

belle7611 02-26-2012 05:55 PM

I'm no expert but if she's not ready and is still Breastfeeding well then I'm sure it's fine! You could just keep trying different foods and textures and I'm sure at some point she will be ready. Have you tried giving her any solid foods since she doesn't seem to like the purée texture? Before 1 it's all about learning and having fun anyway so it sounds like that's what she is doing!! :)

justineybean 02-26-2012 07:04 PM

Re: Waiting until a year for solids...?

Thanks. I think you're probably right. I just needed some encouragement and reassurance. :hugs: I peeked at your blog. I love the picture of you and your new baby sleeping. So sweet!

belle7611 02-27-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justineybean (Post 14715739)
Thanks. I think you're probably right. I just needed some encouragement and reassurance. :hugs: I peeked at your blog. I love the picture of you and your new baby sleeping. So sweet!

:hugs: mama! I hear you on just needing some reassurance sometimes! I feel the same way :)

Thanks for checking out my blog! I love meeting mamas through it! Hope you continue to check in every once in a while! Let me know how the eating is going...we are about to embark upon that adventure in the next month or so (DD just turned 5 months last week).

smilewithme 02-27-2012 08:20 AM

My daughter was really slow to switch over too. But once she could handle it, you couldn't hold her back! So be ready...= )

Nerissa 02-27-2012 09:33 AM

I would say just keep offereing and let her play around. She will get it when she is ready. Also small bits of well cooked food might be better too. Carrots cooked in the crock pot my boys loved. They were so soft and easily mushed. At that age I also started giving the boys mum-mum crackers. They basically disolve but it got them used to eating bigger pieces.

As long as she is nursing well and gaining weight I wouldn't worry.

zosca 02-29-2012 12:13 PM

I wouldn't worry also - as long as she is gaining weight and seems happy she should be fine! I have heard of people doing EBF for a full year and the kids seems fine... Couldn't try it though as my babies are too interested in food by 5 months!

cdwelton 03-01-2012 01:50 PM

When we first started offering DD food she always made a discussed face, but would pick up more food and put it in her mouth :giggle: Right around 8.5 months is when she started being more interested and eating more rather than just tasting and playing. For some babies this doesn't happen til closer to a year, no need to worry :)

Designchick 03-03-2012 07:05 PM

I feel the same way. Mine is 10.5 months and hardly eats any solids, but not for lack of my trying. :) My La Leche League leader says that it's perfectly fine because breastmilk is complete nutrition. And they will eat when they are ready. Just keep offering. :)

lfilbert 03-08-2012 01:44 AM

My daughter hates any sort of pureed food. She is 7 mon and wants to do it herself. So she will eat steamed carrot sticks, avocado slices, really anything that she can pick up and feed herself. She really doesn't like the texture of pureed food we've discovered.