Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   North Carolina Mommas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359057)

omgoodgravy 02-26-2012 03:01 PM

North Carolina Mommas

Where do you think is the best place to live in NC? regarding schools and safe communities?

DH and I decided we need to move and do something new. I teach so hopefully I can find a teaching position and DH is a restaurant manager. I just want a nice friendly place that is safe for my kids to play outside.

Thanks

holly6737 02-26-2012 03:07 PM

Re: North Carolina Mommas

We loved Cary. I'd love to move back there one day. *sigh*

jc12551 02-26-2012 08:31 PM

I am from the S. Mtns and it is great if you like rural living. I would go back there in a heartbeat. I would NOT move to the coast. I taught there for five years and there was a lot of gang-bangers--town of 5k and shooting at night. Plus the rents are very high and the area is economically depressed. Not everywhere, but many, many places. I lived outside of Greensboro and loved it. But I haven't been back since 2005.

kattayanna_mom 02-26-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc12551 (Post 14716204)
I am from the S. Mtns and it is great if you like rural living. I would go back there in a heartbeat. I would NOT move to the coast. I taught there for five years and there was a lot of gang-bangers--town of 5k and shooting at night. Plus the rents are very high and the area is economically depressed. Not everywhere, but many, many places. I lived outside of Greensboro and loved it. But I haven't been back since 2005.

what part of the Coast?
We are in Jacksonville NC and it's nice here big Military town ,good schools and not many "gang bangers and shootings"

AnimalHouse 02-26-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc12551

The S. Mtn area is the best! I've lived in Maggie Valley, Cherokee, Waynesville, Lake Junaluska, Kernersville (between G'boro and WS), and Canton. All those places were great, but Maggie Valley will always be my favorite!

kattayanna_mom 02-26-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalHouse (Post 14716294)
The S. Mtn area is the best! I've lived in Maggie Valley, Cherokee, Waynesville, Lake Junaluska, Kernersville (between G'boro and WS), and Canton. All those places were great, but Maggie Valley will always be my favorite!

I love that area. I'm from Shelby NC. between Asheville and Charlotte.

tiffybear01 02-26-2012 09:26 PM

We live in Holly Ridge. 5 mins from surf city and 30 mins north of Wilmington. If I could choose, I would live either outside of Asheville or in the Raleigh/Cary area. I like where I live now, for the most part, but they are starting to build it up, summer is terrible because of tourists and the public schools are not desirable.

sere 02-26-2012 09:34 PM

We live near Jacksonville (on the coast) and it blows. DH and I are from the Chicago suburbs and the prices of things continue to astound me. Gas and food are more expensive here for one. Rents are absurd, presumably to make up for frequent short tenancies with all the military personnel moving through town. The area is culturally desolate. The only positive I can think of is the beach!

napua 02-26-2012 11:01 PM

I lived in Fayetteville for 8 years and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. That said, I LOVE NC! I'd either move to Wilmington or Asheville.

Sha-nanagins 02-27-2012 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holly6737 (Post 14714686)
We loved Cary. I'd love to move back there one day. *sigh*

Yep. Cary is nice - cost of living isn't the greatest, but, for the area, it's good. Holly Springs is another community in the same vicinity, and the cost of living is just a little better. Either way, you have great access to Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill without having to actually live there.

Looks like there are lots of votes for the mountains, but if you don't like a lot of unpredictable weather in the winter and don't just love the mountains, I wouldn't recommend it.

Teaching positions are a little hard to come by in NC right now, though, so you might want to look into the availability of jobs before committing to move.