Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   "drool rash" - what to do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13592)

Kelolsen-and-Padawan 06-12-2006 05:38 AM

"drool rash" - what to do?

Ethan has a few patches of excema, so I thought that's what was happening around his neck, but now I don't think so. He's also prone to developing prickly heat, so we haven't been keeping bibs on him anymore. He's drooling a ton (five months) so we were keeping bibs on him alot. Now I just wipe his mouth/chin alot and change his outfit if I need to, or even keep him in just a diaper if its warm enough. Over the past few days though, he's developed some red rashy patches under his chin and in his neck and a little around his mouth. My friend said it was from drool and suggested cortizone cream. I guess that worked for her baby - any suggestions? Did you use that? Any special thing I can do? It doesn't seem to bother him but it sure does look icky.

geckoed 06-13-2006 01:35 PM

Re: "drool rash" - what to do?

lansinoh works WONDERS on faces ANS wool covers :giggle:

Audriannasmommy 06-13-2006 01:59 PM

i would say if it doesnt bother him leave it be

ChurchPunkMom 06-13-2006 02:10 PM

I wouldn't use cortisone cream.. it's a steroid and not necessary for something like that. You could try using baby powder - just rub some in that area (from chin to chest), it should help absorb some of the moisture and keep him a little dryer. Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much. Also, having a shirt on to help soak up may be better for him than going topless. ;)

jjaelovesenglish 06-13-2006 02:14 PM

I agree with one of the PP, the Lanosh cream, or any cream to help with breastfeeding works wonders for this kind of thing. I gave some to my friend who had sever problems with this with her son and it healed right up. She also used aquophor and that seemed to help too.

Audriannasmommy 06-13-2006 02:18 PM

desitin that does the trick

MamaJo 06-13-2006 02:32 PM

My son got drool rash pretty bad - or anytime he ate tomatoes. Aquaphor worked the best ;)

EmnJJsMom 06-14-2006 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geckoed
lansinoh works WONDERS on faces ANS wool covers :giggle:

Lanolin worked great for us too. A dr will prescribe a hydrocortisone cream for his body but for me (a mama who is anti-steriod creams) plain cetaphil worked wonderfuly along with a cutback on bathing (once every 2 days rather than daily.)

Fullhouse 06-14-2006 08:33 PM

I would also try a micro-fleece topped bib with an absorbant middle layer, and waterproof/fleece back. It's like an AIO for the mouth :giggle: I use them on my 6mo all the time.

EmnJJsMom 06-14-2006 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4littlemonkeys
I would also try a micro-fleece topped bib with an absorbant middle layer, and waterproof/fleece back. It's like an AIO for the mouth :giggle: I use them on my 6mo all the time.

That's an awesome idea! My dd has horrible reflux along with drooling and I'm constantly changing her cloths cause she soaks thru bibs.