Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southeast (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   I'd love to hear from South Carolina and Georgia Mamas... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359439)

Luvingmy4boys 02-27-2012 11:41 AM

I'd love to hear from South Carolina and Georgia Mamas...

DH and I are planning on relocating back south. We used to live in Florida but it's a bit too hot, expensive and I like having a bit of the seasons so not shorts weather all year long. We've been considering South Carolina and Georgia. We would need a 4 bedroom with finished basement that can be used as room home or a 5 bedroom home for our family. A nice size backyard is something we'd love to have for the kids. My DH is an Electrical Engineer that currently works for a Power Plant and is looking into renewable energy employment if possible.

I'd love to get suggestions of where we can consider to move that has nice houses and neighborhoods. Maybe a gated community that has a little park, pool or club that we can use and take the kids. Low crime rate and good schools is a must. We don't like big cities because of congestion and that type of thing but I do like having my stores and things within a short distance to drive. My boys and I have a heart condition and good cardiac medical facilites is also important. Basically, looking for a great place to live that is affordable for the size home we need, safe neighborhood and family friendly.

All your suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated. :goodvibes:

EveryDayIsANewDay 02-27-2012 12:59 PM

Re: I'd love to hear from South Carolina and Georgia Mamas...

I live in Columbus, GA. I've lived here for 7 years, and 8 years in the country outside of Buena Vista (a very rural town 30 miles from Columbus). Columbus has grown tremendously over the years and is ranked the 3rd largest city in Georgia. We have three big hospitals. St Francis Hospital specializes in cardiology from what I understand although I've never had to use that hospital.

We have all the chain restaurants and quite a lot of places to shop. We love it here and won't move anytime soon.

The downfalls: the humidity can be awful during the summer but the city has quite a few community pools with cheap annual passes that are super clean and have small slides and kid areas in the pools, congestion off of the exit I live is bad during rush hour, but I still only live 1 mile from Wal-mart and all the best stores in town- sometimes it takes 10 minutes to get over there. There is some construction going on to widen some roads where it is worst. They recently turned our most travelled 10 mile highway into 4 lanes on each side to help the congestion.

We have a ton of schools and we live in the "best" district and I am not concerned at all about sending my DD to kindergarten next year. My sister went to the middle school in our district and is now in 9th grade at the high school. All three schools for that district are right beside each other, which is very convenient and just down the street from us.

We live in a quiet residential neighborhood, but there's a few gas stations and two chain drug stores within 1/4 a mile. I don't know how to rate the crime. We haven't had any issues in the 3 yrs my mom has lived in this house (I moved in with her a year ago), but maybe you could google for that info?

The surrounding areas that are great for lower cost, a bit less "busy" but still within 10-20 minutes are Harris County, GA, Phenix City, AL and Fort Mitchell, AL. Both places in Alabama are way cheaper for property taxes. My ex and I owned a home in Phenix City, that was brand new, 1170 sq ft for $100,000 in 2006. For the same thing in Columbus it would've been closer to $120,000.

Columbus and the AL areas I listed have SO many brand new huge homes that are so "cheap" compared to the older homes here. These were all built in the past 2-3 years thinking the influx from the new armor school moving in would buy them all, but their thinking was wrong lol. Also, we're 15 minutes away from Fort Benning, GA which brings in a lot of revenue for the city.

Any other questions and I'd love to help! I love my city and wouldn't move unless in a few years I can't get a teaching job here when I graduate.

ETA: Are you planning to buy or rent? Can you give me an estimate of how much you would finance for a house? Because I know over in Fort Mitchell they have many houses that have over 2000-3000 sq ft. Almost no houses here have basements.

Also, we have some really nice city parks. If you look up the city site, you should be able to find them. We are also 90 miles from Atlanta where the huge aquarium is, Atl zoo which I love!, children's museum, Six Flags, Six Flags water park, tons of shopping, airport. Speaking of airports, Columbus does have an airport.

amiecheatham 02-27-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvingmy4boys (Post 14719076)
DH and I are planning on relocating back south. We used to live in Florida but it's a bit too hot, expensive and I like having a bit of the seasons so not shorts weather all year long. We've been considering South Carolina and Georgia. We would need a 4 bedroom with finished basement that can be used as room home or a 5 bedroom home for our family. My DH is an Electrical Engineer that currently works for a Power Plant and is looking into renewable energy employment if possible.

I'd love to get suggestions of where we can consider to move that has nice houses and neighborhoods. Maybe a gated community that has a little park, pool or club that we can use and take the kids. Low crime rate and good schools is a must. We don't like big cities because of congestion and that type of thing but I do like having my stores and things within a short distance to drive. My boys and I have a heart condition and good cardiac medical facilites is also important. Basically, looking for a great place to live that is affordable for the size home we need, safe neighborhood and family friendly.

All your suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated. :goodvibes:

I live in Charleston, SC! and I love love love it. The cost of living can be high here, but like in most places the further you get away from the city the less expensive it gets. We live in Mt Pleasant, specifically which is minutes from downtown but still the suburbs. It is one of the nicest parts of Charleston, imo and it has the best school district in the state including a lot of great charter schools. Daniel Island is close to Mount Pleasant and also very upscale but it has some more affordable housing than Mount Pleasant. IDK if any of that helps, but I love love love it here and this city is so full of rich history and culture and it is a wonderful place to live and raise children.

KB'sMama1031 02-27-2012 01:14 PM

check out Marietta Ga, all the benefits of Atlanta without actually living IN the city. Lots of great schools hospitals & parks... anywhere you would want to shop is within 20 mins away
There are a lot of nice areas and neighborhoods and the traffic isnt bad!

AnimalHouse 02-27-2012 05:18 PM

I'm from SC, currently living in GA. We live in Northwest GA, near the mountains. It's beautiful up here, tons of outdoor activites (hiking, boating, etc). My town is approximately 60 miles from Atlanta, and 50 miles from Chattanooga. Basically, we're close enough to enjoy the zoos, aquariums, museums, etc... but far enough away to not deal with their problems (high crime, high COL, traffic, etc). Cost of living is lower than average. The public schools aren't the best, but our county has made great strides in that area. We have several wonderful private schools and Montessori schools, also.

My DH is graduating this summer with a degree in Mechatronics Engineering. There are a lot of engineering jobs in the Atlanta area!

Lanasmom 02-27-2012 06:47 PM

Greenville, South Carolina is an excellent place to live. There are wonderful medical facilities. The amenities of a city without the horrendous traffic. There is also a semi crunchy contingent (even a B & M cloth diaper store down town). It was never really touched by the recession.

I live in Belton which is between Greenville and Anderson, but Greenville would be a great place to live!

mommieleah74 02-27-2012 07:29 PM

My husband and I live in Sugar Hill and our neighborhood is wonderful! There is a home a few houses down from my house that has 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms, basement that is walled, 2 car garage, on a culdesac. Schools are wonderful here. They are asking $172,500 for it if that helps to figure where places are going for. Anyway, we are close to a beautiful, large lake (2 miles away) and gorgeous scenery. I feel we have it all.

Luvingmy4boys 02-27-2012 07:41 PM

Thank you so much for all the information given so far. It is very helpful. My husband and I are planning some trips to visit locations, see homes, etc. We would definitely want to stay under the $200,000 range which from some research and your info sound like it's possible to get a nice home in that price range. We would be looking to hopefully buy a home v. rent if possible. If the home doesn't have a basement, then we would be looking at a 5 bedroom home.

My sister has visited SC a few times and she loves it there. She also mentioned Mt. Pleasant as a nice place. Another one she said was Summerville.

Please keep the info coming. It's much appreciated.

EveryDayIsANewDay 02-27-2012 07:53 PM

Here is an example of what you can get in the AL area, which is typically 1-15 miles away from Columbus: http://www.kpdk.com/property/propert...AR_OfficeCode=

Our house in Phenix City, is actually less than 2 miles from this property and I loved the area. The playground near is brand new (finally! now that I moved out), with baseball fields and a community pool.

Luvingmy4boys 02-27-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EveryDayIsANewDay (Post 14721960)
Here is an example of what you can get in the AL area, which is typically 1-15 miles away from Columbus: http://www.kpdk.com/property/propert...AR_OfficeCode=

Our house in Phenix City, is actually less than 2 miles from this property and I loved the area. The playground near is brand new (finally! now that I moved out), with baseball fields and a community pool.

Thanks! Do most homes also have big backyards?