Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Texas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Moving to Austin, TX and need advice! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359504)

SevenFinns 02-27-2012 01:29 PM

Moving to Austin, TX and need advice!

UPDATED location:

We're relocating in August to Austin, and we don't know anything about it. I know I can google away, but it isn't the same as getting information from people who actually live there!

I have a 1 1/2 year old and a 3 1/2 year old, both boys. My husband will be in grad school at UT, and we've found the perfect preschool for our son--The Discovery School on White Cliff Dr. in NW Austin. MAP

What areas are close to UT and The Discovery School in NW Austin and not loud, college party areas? We're willing to drive a little bit, and if we have to drive, we'd prefer to be close to outdoor living areas--hiking, parks, etc. We usually live in single family homes, but we would consider townhomes too. Price range is important. We are budgeting $1600 for a 3 bdrm if that is possible.

Does anyone have a preferred yoga studio? I've practiced Iyengar and Jivamukti yoga with some Power Yoga as well. I'm open to styles that are challenging and love instructors who are willing to correct form by moving your body (unusual, it seems). I don't want anything to do with hot yoga.

Does anyone participate in CSAs or have preferred farmers' markets or semi-organic grocery stores that are more affordable that Whole Foods?

What are your favorite things to do around Austin with your kids?

karaintx 03-10-2012 02:23 PM

Check out Kyle, TX. Maybe new braunfels?

karaintx 03-10-2012 02:24 PM

Also for grocery stores check out central market in the UT area. Its where we used to shop and still do here in Houston

sillyutalktome 03-10-2012 03:26 PM

Re: Moving to Austin, TX and need advice!

My friend's husband is at UT and they live in Wells Branch. It's a nice little area and he uses the rail to get to work. I know she uses a local Yoga studio right in their neighborhood, but I can't remember what it's called. I live further north in Round Rock. Sorry I can't help with the Preschool, I stay home and dd has not been willing to leave me for school, plus it's just outside our finances.

Nagshead 03-10-2012 03:34 PM

I was also going to say Kyle;). My inlaws live in wimbberly but it's about 45 min to austin

Chibirsd 03-10-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagshead
I was also going to say Kyle;). My inlaws live in wimbberly but it's about 45 min to austin

My uncle lives in wimblerly!

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.

SevenFinns 03-13-2012 07:49 PM

Since we've decided on The Discovery School for preschool, we're set on NW Austin now. I'll have to take a trip to Kyle since two people have mentioned it!

Thanks for the market recommendation. :)

s.yarbs 04-29-2012 03:12 PM

Check out Crestview/Brentwood - it would be a great in-between. And also where we live! Our mortgage is about 1500 for 3br; surely you could find a rental in that range. There's a park, lots of families, and much more central than Wells Branch. We love it here.

RedZulu 06-02-2012 03:09 AM

Where your preschool is located I would check out the Arboretum area. When I first moved to Austin about 3 years ago we lived in an apartment on Great Hills Trl. There is lots of nice shopping there and a lot of outdoor trails right on the 360. It a little more of a pricey area but they had really good apartment rates so you may find a reasonable rental in that area or near it. I currently live up in Cedar Park but really enjoyed that area. Let me know if you have more

kellyrae 08-08-2012 04:01 PM

I'm assuming you already moved to Austin.

I was born in Austin and just moved to Houston in 2011. Also went to UT.

Email me if you want to ask any questions. :-) Tell me the area you guys chose, too.