Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Anyone who lives in Charlotte, NC- neighborhood advice? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1360223)

msuk2girl 02-29-2012 07:00 AM

Anyone who lives in Charlotte, NC- neighborhood advice?

Good morning! DH has a strong chance at a job offer in Charlotte. Something he really wants to do, I love eastern NC, and frankly I think it would be a fun move. In order to not lose money on the move, we have a strict price range and would like to be near DHs job. I've quickly narrowed my housing search to a few in this neighborhood in SE Charlotte. Can anyone give me a balanced perspective on the area?

I recognize it is close to what appears to be strip mall type development (based on aerial photography). Less than desirable, but not an issue. We are not afraid of cities and prefer not to be in far away suburbs :)

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1L...e&ved=0CA8Q_BI
Any thoughts? :goodvibes:

revolekim 02-29-2012 07:14 AM

Re: Anyone who lives in Charlotte, NC- help a sister out!

We just moved from Charlotte, and, frankly, we were glad to leave! Of course we lived in Rock Hill, SC and DH commuted to work. So I'll basically tell you, don't live in SC! :) Pineville, NC is pretty nice, but I really don't know much about the city of Charlotte. We didn't like it enough to drive the half hour to get there. :)

AnimalHouse 02-29-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revolekim
We just moved from Charlotte, and, frankly, we were glad to leave! Of course we lived in Rock Hill, SC and DH commuted to work. So I'll basically tell you, don't live in SC! :) Pineville, NC is pretty nice, but I really don't know much about the city of Charlotte. We didn't like it enough to drive the half hour to get there. :)

Aw, I went to high school in York and college in Rock Hill - I love that area :giggle:. Perfect distance from Charlotte to enjoy the city amenities, without dealing with the city drawbacks.

msuk2girl 03-01-2012 03:59 AM

Re: Anyone who lives in Charlotte, NC- neighborhood advice?

Is there anyone?

hippiekangaroo 04-23-2012 09:30 AM

Msuk2girl, not sure if you're still looking for CLT info, but wanted to throw out my input. I lived in Charlotte for 5 years and just left 2 years ago for DH's job. I thought it was a good city (as far as cities go, since I'm more of a mountain girl). We actually lived in SE Charlotte about 20 minutes from the link you posted.

As far as neighborhoods go, I would recommend Matthews, Mint Hill, or Indian Trail (it's actually over the border in SC I think). The are all pretty much a straight shot up Independence (74) to the job so it's convenient. The only thing is there are quite a few lights on Independence. We owned a house in Matthews and my husband worked in Charlotte East at the YMCA. There's a lot of gentrification going on in that area, so you could have nice areas 5 minutes away from some scarier areas. I also knew some folks who lived SE of NoDa/Plaza Midwood (in one of the nicer sections).

Anyways, I know quite about bit about that area so if you have any other questions feel free to PM me!

msuk2girl 04-23-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippiekangaroo (Post 14989381)
Msuk2girl, not sure if you're still looking for CLT info, but wanted to throw out my input. I lived in Charlotte for 5 years and just left 2 years ago for DH's job. I thought it was a good city (as far as cities go, since I'm more of a mountain girl). We actually lived in SE Charlotte about 20 minutes from the link you posted.

As far as neighborhoods go, I would recommend Matthews, Mint Hill, or Indian Trail (it's actually over the border in SC I think). The are all pretty much a straight shot up Independence (74) to the job so it's convenient. The only thing is there are quite a few lights on Independence. We owned a house in Matthews and my husband worked in Charlotte East at the YMCA. There's a lot of gentrification going on in that area, so you could have nice areas 5 minutes away from some scarier areas. I also knew some folks who lived SE of NoDa/Plaza Midwood (in one of the nicer sections).

Anyways, I know quite about bit about that area so if you have any other questions feel free to PM me!

Thanks!! We actually just returned from our house hunting trip and chose a home in Matthews :)

hippiekangaroo 04-24-2012 07:23 AM

Good choice! We liked Matthews -- it's about 30 minutes to Uptown but away from all of the major traffic still. There's a great little downtown in Matthews with a Saturday morning farmer's market worth checking out and Charlotte East is being marketed at the "International Corridor" (if you like ethnic food there's lots of GREAT little privately owned restaurants). I would also recommend checking out Simmons YMCA. :)

Good luck with the move and feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions!