Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bigger newborn diapers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1360543)

Crazydayz 02-29-2012 05:49 PM

Bigger newborn diapers

For some of you that had bigger babies what did you start off with? I am really not excited about flats or prefolds. I am open to thinking of fitteds and no problems with pockets or AIO's. Baby will be EBF so I need something that will hold those explosions. :mrgreen: If I go to term we expect this baby to be at least 10lbs.

Do fitteds have a wider range of size? What covers are good?

One Acre Wonder Farm 02-29-2012 05:59 PM

My last baby was 10lbs and we used one size pockets and GMD yellow edge prefolds (she never fit in orange edges) and covers from the start. I knew she would be big (babies #1 & #2 were 9lbs 12oz and 9lbs 14oz) so I really didn't buy a lot of newborn fluff. It worked out just fine.

Crazydayz 02-29-2012 06:05 PM

Re: Bigger newborn diapers

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Acre Wonder Farm (Post 14731232)
My last baby was 10lbs and we used one size pockets and GMD yellow edge prefolds (she never fit in orange edges) and covers from the start. I knew she would be big (babies #1 & #2 were 9lbs 12oz and 9lbs 14oz) so I really didn't buy a lot of newborn fluff. It worked out just fine.

So your OS pockets worked? I have a FB XS and a FB OS and there seem to be such a difference but that XS looks so tiny!

BuggaBuggaBoutique 02-29-2012 06:27 PM

I use my NB and OS from the beginning. My last baby was 9lb 8 oz

mamaroach 02-29-2012 07:48 PM

I just had an 8lbs, 14.5ozs baby 3 weeks ago and she's just now back close to her birth weight. She's already grown out of the GMD orange infant prefolds, but the GMD snapless orange fitteds still fit fine. She just started wearing all her OS pockets (have mostly BG 4.0s with a few FBs) and OS AIOs (BGE & BG Free) They are big on her, rise wise and makes a big fluffy butt, but haven't had any leaks and she's EBF. My favorite diaper on her right now are the new Thirsties Duo AIO, size 1. She's on the smallest snap setting and they fit great, doesn't look bulky like the OS diapers, and she still has room to grow. Too bad I only bought 2 of them to try and now DH won't let me buy more diapers. :cry: So after all this rambling, I would agree that skipping the newborn/infant sizes is probably okay, if you don't mind that they look bulky for a while. Oh and I waited til her cord stump fell off before I went to cding full time. Tried to use them before then but all the diapers I used rubbed her cord stump and made her bleed. So I could see that the OS diapers doing the same on your LO. Good luck!

SeeOurtney 02-29-2012 11:21 PM

Softbums Echo's with their mini pods. My girl is just at about 9lbs now, but she's "thick", and the softbums are our happy medium right now. They're a little bulkier than I'd like, so I have a couple FB on the way (their elite's are supposed to be über trim) to try. NB dipes were just barely too small for her (she was 8lbs at birth.) and the "NB" (they're actually premie sized, but come in the "newborn package" which makes zero sense to me) prefolds were too small, but the infant ones I have are bulkier than I'd like...we're sort of in between sizes. And I'm sure that was far less helpful than I'd hoped lol.

Crazydayz 03-01-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeeOurtney (Post 14732705)
Softbums Echo's with their mini pods. My girl is just at about 9lbs now, but she's "thick", and the softbums are our happy medium right now. They're a little bulkier than I'd like, so I have a couple FB on the way (their elite's are supposed to be über trim) to try. NB dipes were just barely too small for her (she was 8lbs at birth.) and the "NB" (they're actually premie sized, but come in the "newborn package" which makes zero sense to me) prefolds were too small, but the infant ones I have are bulkier than I'd like...we're sort of in between sizes. And I'm sure that was far less helpful than I'd hoped lol.

Very helpful thank you! That is exactly where I think we will be..stuck inbetween. If I go to term baby will be big but if my BP rises they may induce earlier which would put me around 8.5 or 9lbs. (Depending how early.) My #3 36w baby was 7lbs 3oz and #2 39w was 9lbs.

Crazydayz 03-01-2012 06:42 AM

Thank you all for the information. I think I will stay away from NB diapers for now. If towards the end I think my BP rises and they might take him early I will rush and get a few NB's! (My BP has gone up at the end all 3 babies so far. Last one early enough they had to induce at 36w)

McDMom 03-01-2012 06:48 AM

Thirsties Duo diapers size 1 and Rumparooz are great. They go really small (6 lbs) but have higher weight limits too. I figured I was safe with them since baby could use them regardless of size. I had a 9lb 4 oz LO one time and a 7lb 13 oz another time. You can't truly predict these things.

fluffycheeks 03-01-2012 07:09 AM

I would totally do Thirsties. In a size one, you. An get the AIO, and the fitteds and covers if you want to go that route. Sandys are another option for fitteds, and xs Fuzzibunz fit much longer than any NB pocket I've seen. My dd is about 14 pounds and they still fit, but we've outgrown the absorbency.