Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   finding out gender (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1361495)

mpbaby 03-02-2012 03:58 PM

finding out gender

we have a boy and a girl and expecting a third. I kind of want the gender to be a surprise, but my hubby is absolutely opposed to the idea. he wants to know asap so that we can plan the kids' room arrangements, etc. he is also a doctor and of the mindset that it's a surprise at 20 Weeks and a surprise at 40 Weeks. he compared it to Tivo-ing the superbowl and watching it 9 months later. the doc knows, techs know, etc. he has been canceling patients and surgeries just to show up to our ultrasound next week and I know he won't be able to keep the gender a surprise. and I know he will be able to tell just by glancing at.the ultrasound screen. so torn! I see his point but I kind of want the surprise... did anyone encounter a similar situation? also everyone around us (the grandparents) are dying to know too!!!

Sophia&Daria 03-02-2012 04:14 PM

I also want a surprise, but hubby wants to find out so we can 'prepare'. I keep telling him we don't need anything until baby comes. We will just have to pick out two names.

Here's an idea: he can find out as long as he can keep it a surprise for you. That means he can't do the nursery though...

sisu 03-02-2012 04:49 PM

Re: finding out gender

We have a boy and a girl now. I definitely wanted to find out with both of them beforehand, but I'm just as determined to keep our next one a surprise until birth. I say you should keep trying to wear him down. :giggle:

mpbaby 03-02-2012 05:01 PM

I know he will not be able to keep it a secret! he will slip, or worse, taunt me with his knowledge... :( we are going to dinner at a friend's house tonight, and she is an ob. he asked her if we could go to her office after dinner (with all the kids) to check on the baby! he can't even stand to wait until Tuesday, when we have our regular doc appointment!! and do all docs snicker when patients tell them they don't want to know the gender????

bluedaisyma 03-02-2012 05:10 PM

I just don't get u/s :). but even if I did, I wouldn't find out. they aren't 100% and I know of many friends who got surprised by an opposite gender of what they were told and had to return a lot of clothes and redo the nursery!

Marbie 03-02-2012 05:37 PM

I'm curious about responses, too, since we will be in the same boat with our next baby.

So what is his response when you tell him how important this is to you?

ClarkBStar 03-02-2012 06:00 PM

My husband and I are not finding out, but we're finding a lot of pressure from other people. We're of the mindset that it's one of those few amazing surprises in life that you can still have. And no matter what you have it will be amazing! I think finding out before would be a little like opening up your Christmas present early just so you know what you're getting. To me, it ruins the anticipation. I'm super excited to find out in 4 months, but it is hard because I want to go out and buy all the cute little clothes, but then again you get to be really creative with gender-neutral stuff!

Designchick 03-03-2012 06:39 PM

My husband & I both wanted a surprise, but our parents were not happy. :)

magdalynaa 03-03-2012 07:24 PM

I was surprised that the OB, nurses, and techs were all polite enough to ask if we wanted to know the gender before u/s. We did want to know, so it was fine, but I kinda figured someone would let it slip even if we didn't want to find out.

I definitely couldn't keep it a secret if I knew and DH didn't!

magdalynaa 03-03-2012 07:25 PM

Oops double post