Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Mo-di ID twins and a vaginal delivery (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1361675)

HeatherlovesCDs 03-03-2012 07:48 AM

Mo-di ID twins and a vaginal delivery

Now I'm starting to get freaked out. :blush: This is my 3rd set of twins. My first 2 were frats and I had uncomplicated vaginal deliveries with both. I have every intention of having a 3rd vaginal delivery. (Of course, having had 2 previous sets of twins, I do know complications come up and it can change in an instance.)

But, the big thing is, this set is different. It appears that they are mo-di identical twins. Meaning, they are in the same chorion and share a placenta but are in different amnionic sacs. I'm suddenly wondering, with them being in the same chorion and closer, is it less likely they can get in a good position to be born vaginally?? As long as baby A is head down, I'm good to go. But, will Baby A be able to move around as much to get that way?

I know there are a few ID moms around here. ;) Please reassure me that my chances of a vaginal delivery with this type of twins is just as good as with frats assuming there is no TTTS or other complication going on. I'm thinking this is irrational, but I'm so shocked that I'm having ID twins since we did IVF and expected frats. I'm starting to freak out a little. I feel like I'm pushing my luck. Help! :blush:

Djuna2 03-03-2012 08:41 AM

I have identical twins and they were born vaginally. Mine were di/di, though.

sallyjean 03-03-2012 12:29 PM

Re: Mo-di ID twins and a vaginal delivery

I had mono/di twins (also sometimes called MCDA) and had a vaginal delivery, no complications. I did a lot of research about vaginal twin deliveries and don't remember seeing anything about mo/di twins being less likely to have twin A in the vertex position. The only thing I remember seeing is if twin B is substantially larger than A then they won't deliver that twin vaginally if it is breech.

My girls changed positions as my pregnancy progressed, I don't think sharing a chorion restricts their movement. And I know this is a while down the road but make sure they show you the placenta, very cool!

HeatherlovesCDs 03-03-2012 01:39 PM

Thanks! I've actually seen the placenta with my other babies. It's interesting looking. I've never seen anything about not being as likely to be head down either. I think I'm just being silly. :blush:

I've read about them not wanting to deliver vaginally if B is significantly bigger than A. But, really, they can't know anyway because the u/s can be so far off. With my first set, both babies' u/s estimate were off by a pound in opposite directions. Baby B was born 2lbs 2oz bigger than baby A. It wasn't a problem for me. :laugh: With the second set, baby B was a pound bigger. Again, it didn't matter. :)

Thanks for setting my mind at ease. :goodvibes:

sallyjean 03-03-2012 07:47 PM

I think the weight difference only matters if twin B is breech, the rational being that the road is less "paved" if twin A was tiny.

Just curious, were the placenta of your frat twins fused? I thought it was really cool to see the two cords coming out of the massive placenta.

Djuna2 03-03-2012 09:03 PM

My A was a little over a pound smaller than B and B was breach or transverse (got pulled out by his feet, ultimately). The weight estimates on the u/s always had them exactly the same size, however.

HeatherlovesCDs 03-03-2012 10:34 PM

Yeah, u/s's are often off by a good bit. I always read that it matter even if B wasn't breech, but, personally, I don't think it matters. I mean seriously, if he was a single, he'd come out, even if he was breech. Why does it matter if B is better than A. Luckily, I love my OB and he never said it mattered to him. ;)

Djuna - That is awesome your OB let you deliver even with B breech. That was definitely my plan and my OB would have also (with the second set). But, most won't do that. My first wouldn't. (He misled me until it was too late. :() Luckily for me, my breech baby B turned literally in labor while we watched him on the u/s checking for positions to see if I still needed a c-sec. :laugh:

Sally - No mine weren't fused. You are right. That probably is cool to see 2 coming out of one placenta. I'll have to check it out. :)

hauser 03-05-2012 02:30 PM

Well, I hope it all works out. I can't imagine they would have less room though. My twins had fused placentas and they were head down. Mine are boy/girl fraternal.

Still fun to have identical twins after 2 sets of fraternal...you know switch it up a bit.

HeatherlovesCDs 03-05-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauser (Post 14755838)
Well, I hope it all works out. I can't imagine they would have less room though. My twins had fused placentas and they were head down. Mine are boy/girl fraternal.

Still fun to have identical twins after 2 sets of fraternal...you know switch it up a bit.

Yeah, I'm really hoping for girls this time too. I've always said I need a set of girls to "complete my collection." :giggle2: I have boy/girl and boy/boy. If I have ID girls, I will have tried all combos. :lostit:

Free Thinker 03-05-2012 03:18 PM

WEll, mine are frats, so I guess it doens't count :) But Baby B was breech and flipped after A was out. I think that main thing that matters is that baby A is head down in position. After A is out, they can usually work baby B around right (even if you have to have a version like I did ;) ). Best of luck, cant' believe you are having a second set of twins!

And yes, you need some girls!