Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   A ? for mamas with intact sons (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13621)

HeidiMarie 06-12-2006 08:32 AM

A ? for mamas with intact sons

Lately, my 17 month old son's foreskin has been reddened. Sunday am, it was not only red but really swollen! This has happened once before (there were blisters at that time as well) and my family doctor thought perhaps it was yeast and we treated it as such. It cleared up right away. I have used the antifungal cream on it maybe once daily since then but it has continued to be red and now swollen. It also looks red and irritated on the inside surface of the foreskin as well. We have not forcibly retracted his foreskin although I have gently pulled it back a bit (but not over the glans) to apply the antifungal cream. Do you think I've messed too much with it?? I feel bad for him...it doesn't seem to bother him too much, but still. Have any of you had similar problems?? I haven't changed my wash routine...maybe have to go back to sposises at night?? I don't know!! Thanks for any advice! First boy after 3 girls...no experience with boys!! :laugh:

Ginamcf 06-12-2006 08:41 AM

Re: A ? for mamas with intact sons

I don't know! Poor little man! I have noticed slight redness on the tip of my ds when any fleece is on him too long. I think the natural cotton is better for him. Are you using any synthetics (fleece or suedecloth)? What are you washing with? It could be buildup or an allergy to the detergent you are using?

HeidiMarie 06-12-2006 11:39 AM

I mostly use pocket with either the suedecloth or fleece lining. I hadn't thought about synthetics being irritating. Maybe I should try something else?? I've been using Sportwash but have added about 1/2 Tbls of bleach now and then due to stink issues (a whole other story :banghead: ) but I always rinse at least 2 extra times if not more. I swear I feel like I strip my diapers weekly! Very frustrating...thanks for the concern!

Fullhouse 06-12-2006 11:50 AM

Try a wash in dawn. It seriously saves my diapers. Is there any chance of irritation from bubble bath or sand? These are my problems:blush:

SheilaJoy 06-12-2006 11:57 AM

My ds also has very sensitive skin, and he sometimes gets red on the tip of the foreskin. He just potty trained, and it stopped happening after he stopped wearing diapers. He does wear a dipe at night, and wakes up with the redness sometimes. So I think it's just bacteria from the urine being against the skin.

You may just need to change him more often, like every time he pees. See if that clears it up.

scatterbrainedmom 06-12-2006 01:35 PM

my son has that frequently. i am positive it is from playing with it. he will grab the tip and puuuuuuuuuuuulll it.

DahliaRW 06-13-2006 02:06 AM

If you go to the case against circumcison forum on mothering there is a sticky at the top on this subject. If that doesn't asnwer your question all the knowledgeable people there can.

To me it sounds like irritation from something. If your son were circ'd he probably would have irritated glans.

If it's not causing him pain, it probably is nothing to worry about. And you shouldn't pull the foreskin back at all, not even to apply the anti-fungal, just do it on the ouside and around the opening. Pulling it back, even a little bit, can cause small tears which could result in scar tissue.

HeidiMarie 06-13-2006 03:19 PM

Thanks ladies! I appreciate you all taking the time to reply! It's looking better...I'm off to check out the mothering forum!

tararaboomdeea 06-13-2006 11:52 PM

Maybe he is playing with it? Or perhaps it's smooshed in his diapers a little too much? Be careful not to pull it back too much so you don't cause more irritation. Does your Ped have a nurse line you can call and ask if you should bring him in?

I hope it gets better!

firethorn 06-14-2006 09:14 AM

I hope this gets to you timely. Sorry for not answering sooner, I just figured with all the posts that you had gotten a good answer.

The problem is stupid DR's. (unknowledgable DR's) There is a misconception that you leave it (the foreskin) alone. NO!!!!!!! It should have been done at birth, but you can do it now. It does hurt especially with it being infected. You can do this your self and it is probably best you do.

What has happened: The foreskin over the head causes a pocket down where you cant see it. It fills with bacteria. It stinks and is white, thick and sticks to the skin. (Think about a girl and what can accumulate in the folds of her pubis if she is not cleaned properly. It is the same for an in tact boy, but his has been there for may months.)

What to do: Pull back the foreskin, take a wash cloth and scrub away the build up. Then smear a good portion of triple anti biotic ointment all over the head and foreskin. This helps with the infection and to keep the forsaking mobile. This way each time you change a diaper you pull back and clean.

After the redness goes away (this will take a couple days) you can stop putting on the ointment. But always pull back when you change a diaper.

[I tried to tell my sister this when her son went through the same thing. She would not do it because the "DR" said it was to be left alone. He ended up (age 15 mon.) haveing day surgery to remove the foreskin and a series of antibiotics to heal the horrid infection. ]

I know because WE were taught by a DR with our first son. The Dr worked with a lot of Indian families who do not circumcise. MY DH was not (he is native american) so I did not want our sons done. With my second son we had moved and the new Dr said don't touch it. We ended up calling first DR when DS #2 got infected. This is what he said to do. It worked but I needed a lot of tissue and a hug after putting him through the pain of pulling it back. I had to straddle him and promise mommy was not being mean but helping him. He did hug me after words and tell me his penis hurt. I told him we were going to make it better.

I wish you well because I know this is hard.:hugs: