Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   UGH! Sick of trying to buy used baby stuff! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1362153)

momomom 03-04-2012 11:54 AM

UGH! Sick of trying to buy used baby stuff!

I am listing a lot these days and giving good deals. But mamas act like I'm insulting them when I make reasonable offers.

I can't understand why people will pay like 1-2$ less than retail for a used dipe. No prepping I guess???

THEN- I found an AWESOME cute Beco carrier at the consignment store yesterday but decided to sleep on it. Guess what? I'm doing my research on it and it turns out I think it's a counterfeit one!!! Nice.

OH- and get this- I live temporarily in NM and guess what? The consinment shop and the consignment sales can sell used cribs and car seats- WHAAAAT? Apparently it is not illegal here, but I'm aghast about it. People were buying yucky, expired carseats and old cribs at the town sale yesterday.

Sigh. I need a new SSC, diaper bag and diapers. It adds up. But, in the end, I'd rather buy new saving only a little, get the warranty, have peace of mind knowing things haven't been tampered with etc.

KWIM?

new_mommy78 03-04-2012 12:19 PM

Re: UGH! Sick of trying to buy used baby stuff!

I don't know if you are interested, but I have a basically brand new Becco. I bought it for my DS and tried it on once (just didn't like the fit) and put it back in the box. My DS is now 3 so it is a few years old, but it has just been sitting in the box since I tried it on....let me know:goodvibes:

But I totally understand what you mean about people wanting to sell used stuff for SO expensive...drives me crazy!

LittleClaraLove 03-04-2012 12:23 PM

I live in Phoenix and was shocked to find out it's legal to sell used car seats in consignment stores and such in Arizona. And they aren't required to have or collect any information about them like history, etc. Used cribs are legal but drop-side ones are absolutely illegal to sell in every state. So that's a big line that they crossed.

froggymiamore 03-04-2012 12:25 PM

Hey, where in NM are you?

mommy2kaitlyn 03-04-2012 12:43 PM

I hear ya. It is nuts sometimes. I wouldn't pay nearly new price unless it was a print I really wanted and retired for a diaper.
:hugs:
The car seat thing is horrible. ugh Even if they had the history it wouldn't be safe, in my opinion.
Though honestly if I was there and pregnant or planning to TTC soon I would have bought the cribs if they were ok for slat spacing. Then again I don't buy into the whole lets ban something because some people are stupid theory either.

KatrinaLoves 03-04-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn (Post 14749879)
Though honestly if I was there and pregnant or planning to TTC soon I would have bought the cribs if they were ok for slat spacing. Then again I don't buy into the whole lets ban something because some people are stupid theory either.

:giggle2:
Ditto. I bought a drop-side crib on Craigslist. I only plan on using it sans-one side for a co-sleeper/type setup because we're having a twins and they won't both fit in one co-sleeper mini, but I'd have no problem using it drop-side.

However, I totally agree with your rant, OP! I've only done 3 transactions through DS so far (2 are in transit, so no feedback yet) because everything I need is so darn expensive! Thus far, almost everything in my stash has been bought brand new for cheaper!

If I'm able to recover 60-70% of my initial investment on an item when I sell, I'll be thrilled. People wanting 80-100% though? Yikes!
I understand people have the right to sell for what they want, and that there are always people willing to pay high prices, but I just can't justify buying used if I'm only saving $1-$2. Le sigh. :-(

momomom 03-04-2012 12:59 PM

I agree on the cribs, actually. I think it is sad, all the cribs in landfills because a few people had issues. Of course, it's good for the economy, right? Forcing people to buy new stuff???

NOT- imo!

But, ya, the carseats make me faint. I've been in a serious car wrekc b4, so to me, it's insane to compromise like that to save a few bucks. It ain't a diaper, it your baby's life!

jaelynsmommy61607 03-04-2012 01:06 PM

I don't know of any state that its illegal to sell used car seats. Some shops won't because its a huge risk. Our big shop here actually puts the straps in the washer! So if it was safe before it sure isn't after they clean it. Who knows what she uses on the shell. I got kicked out last summer because I questioned all the expired seats she had. She doesn't believe they expire. It's just to get people to buy more.

Sha-nanagins 03-04-2012 01:07 PM

Consignment stores here sell car seats, too. But only if the seat is clearly marked with the manufacturing date, and it's less than 5 years old. Personally, I wouldn't go that route (though I would take a used seat from a close friend or relative I trusted to be honest about the history), but apparently it's legal.

I hear you, though, about the prices some people want for used things. If I only wanted to save a dollar or two, I'd be looking for coupons, not used items.

mommy2kaitlyn 03-04-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momomom (Post 14749940)
I agree on the cribs, actually. I think it is sad, all the cribs in landfills because a few people had issues. Of course, it's good for the economy, right? Forcing people to buy new stuff???

NOT- imo!

But, ya, the carseats make me faint. I've been in a serious car wrekc b4, so to me, it's insane to compromise like that to save a few bucks. It ain't a diaper, it your baby's life!

Of course the government doesn't think about the landfill issues, and stuff.

I have thankfully only been in minor wrecks but I would never compromise my child to save a few bucks. I would rather have to wash clothes, bedding, etc often and spend more on car seats and use them properly. My exSIL forward faces in infant seats from newborns..."So she can see them breathe." She is scared of that and the thing is before she had her kids she totaled 2 or 3 cars! I was so scared for my niece and nephew. Heck still am..niece probably is ok in a normal seat but nephew needs a booster. I am sure he isn't in one. :(