Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northeast (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Potential move to (south) NJ from AL...yikes! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1362575)

hokie98 03-05-2012 10:43 AM

Potential move to (south) NJ from AL...yikes!

My husband has a job opportunity in NJ. They haven't even given him salary or relo info yet, so this could all be a mute point if the $$ isn't there. We moved to the gulf coast of AL 4 years ago from VA (where I lived all my life until that point). AL was a bit of a culture shock, but I'm afraid NJ make be a shock in the opposite direction! Although, while I grew up in eastern VA, we spent 10 years in NoVA...I'm guess it's probably not THAT different from there. We'd probably be looking to live close to Philly (Medford, Lumberton, etc.) *IF* we did this. Anyone from those areas that can give me any insight...I'm 35, hubby is 40. We have a 6 yr old (in kindergarten) and a 8 month old, plus a large dog.

3 ladybugs 03-05-2012 11:10 AM

Re: Potential move to (south) NJ from AL...yikes!

90% of my doctors are down there and so I can tell you you have GREAT medical down there!

Cost wise there are much more pricey areas of New Jersey. It will not be anywhere near NoVA I don't think for you. I am thinking more of the DC area. Transportation is fairly good down there. I know, I go a lot! There is a Whole Foods and Trader Joes in Marlton, NJ and there is lots of shopping there as well. STAY FAR FROM Camden!!

South Jersey in general is a different animal then Northern New Jersey. Seriously I think some up north think that they are the ugly step sister or something. Farms and such are down there though less so near Philly.

If your DH is going to be working in Philly you might want to move to PA. Traffic can be VERY bad over there but you are going to pay tolls to go across the Delaware river. Just something to think about.

Sorry I can't be any more help then that. I know the area sort of, and I have looked into COL there since I have so many doctors down there. However I am happy where we live now (Central NJ).

Good luck!

BTW My DH moved from Birmingham AL to Northern NJ to Cambridge MA. He seemed to do okay with the move (corporate housing in Northern, NJ). I am sure you will too. :D

dagmomma 03-05-2012 12:45 PM

Hey I am in AL and I am from NJ. I know about the culture shock!!!

In Jersey cost of living is a bit higher but the area you are moving to you can find lower costs of living places then the North and central jersey.

The best part is you will not have the outrageous grocery and sales tax but the tax on homes is more but again depending where you live.

If you are into healthy eating--Whole foods and trader joes are close by Medford in Marlton. There are alot of farms and farm stands. In that area you really could have country living or go 10 minutes away and have city living. The best schools in my opinion down there are the haddonfield schools but the cost of living is much more.

There are also alot of Dog Friendly parts down there as well. There is a leash free park in Cherry Hill and a beautiful park that is dog friendly in Medford it may be leash free now but not sure.

There will be a ton more things to do and shop and craziness compared to your town in AL with philly being 15-20 minutes a NY being around an hour away. Beaches are super close for day trips.

ofthemoonsglow 03-05-2012 01:18 PM

I live just north of Philly and there are really nice suburbs all around. The PA parts around philly are nicer then NJ by Philly. the tolls to get acrossed the Delaware river are expensive. But the cost of living isn't that bad in Philly or around it. I grew up in this area and know pretty much all the town to the north and east of philly. Let me know if you've got any more questions!

hokie98 03-05-2012 02:38 PM

Thanks all! I understand we can live just about anywhere in the state. It's a sales mgmt job, and his territory will be all over the state. The main office is in Lakewood, but his would-be boss lives in Lumberton. That, coupled with our desire to be in a more rural setting with good schools is how we focused that area, I guess Burlington county. Having access to farm stands, farmers markets, local foods, etc. is quite important. I've lived 4 years without Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and CostCo...I can live without them, but having access to them is quite appealing!!

@dagmomma...we are in Fairhope, which I have to admit, for AL, is pretty nice. I do like the sense of community here, and the downtown. I hear in the area we are looking there really aren't many 'towns' with a main street, small shops, etc. Is that true? In NoVA, we had 'towns' that popped up b/c a big developer would come in, slap up a bunch of houses on former farms, give it a zip code, and bam - it's a town. Is the right impression of that area, or no?

dagmomma 03-05-2012 04:14 PM

Ok I will try to answer most of your questions but let me start with lakewood in nj

It is in ocean county which is a good county (I grew up in that county) but lakewood is not where you want to live. It is about a 30 to 45 minute drive to lumberton on rt 70 which is a one lane highway for the most part. ex any AL rd.

Where you are looking the only "town" with a cute downtown would be probably haddonfield.

Medford does have some cute shops here and there but the next town over is the mecca of all shopping. Not good for the budget though. It does have great farms and fruit picking (medford)

Princeton has an amazing downtown as well but the cost of living is ridiculous. Ocean county has some nice places to live at a low cost of living the further south you go. The only town that has a downtown there is Point Pleasant Beach but again huge price of living but not worth it imo.

NJ is very commercialized only a handful of small towns that = $$$$$

The traffic in NJ is like nothing you have ever seen before but 70 is a staight shot to where lakewood is and mostly only congested once you hit the town before lakewood which is Manchester--where my parents currently live.

I think you are on the right track though. Other than the small town thing what is most important to you and I can try to think of great places that I know of.

I honestly think you can not go wrong with medford or lumberton imo. If you wanted something closer there are some towns off of 70 like New Egypt.

I hope I have been some help and not confused you more.

I saw that Fairhope has a cd store and I am so Jealous! I live in a heavily populated area 1hr west of montgomery.

hokie98 03-05-2012 05:03 PM

Thanks dagmomma! You have been very helpful. I just wanted to get a feel for the area. I don't know of any other specific questions right now. We need to find out more about the job, the salary, and what sort of relo assistance they can offer, and then decide if it's the right move for our family. Candidly, we've been trying to get back to VA or NC. This isn't ideal for us, but we need to figure out if it's close enough, or stay where we are for now. If we are leaning toward taking the job, then we definitely plan to fly up for a couple of days and make sure (we accepted the AL job without ever even stepping foot in AL...it's worked out okay, but I'm not doing that again!).

Yes! We do have a cd store, but don't get too excited. It's not a brick & mortar store. Claudia is super nice, and primarily works out of her home. But it's still great to stop by her house if you want to see something prior to buying, and she'll drop off local orders if she's out and about. She recently opened a little 'booth' at a local open air market, so at least again, you can see/touch/feel before buying. Abby's Lane was about 30 mins from our old house in VA...talk about a cd store! I'd love to be that close to her now (I only PT cd'ed my DD and I don't think Abby's Lane had a brick & mortar store then)!

dagmomma 03-05-2012 05:25 PM

Well I hope everything works out for you. Our move down here was my first time here. I think my dh's profession is mover. We have lived in KY, WV, NY, and AL since we have been together and I am from NJ. He is already talking about moving again. I want our next to be our last.

Va and NC would be very nice. I think NJ has alot to offer though. I think you will pleasantly surprised with the area you are looking. NJ gets a bad rap but it is a good place to be. Obviously the cost of living is what hurts the state but I guess that is almost everywhere nowadays. And where else can you live where you are that close to Philly and NYC?

Well whatever happens take a deep breath and enjoy the ride. That seems to be my motto after living in all these places.